Virtual TNC and LinBPQ

  • zl1lw
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2014
      Hi group,

      Does anyone know how to setup an "Virtual" soundcard TNC like "DireWolf" so that linBPQ can use it as an additional RF port? I currently run LinBPQ on Ubuntu linux 12.04LTS with one IP and one RF port. I would like to add another 2 RF ports but are not having any success with PCI serial port cards purchased of ebay.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      73,

      Hannes

      ZL1LW

      Node: Torbay.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2014

        Hannes,

        I haven't used DIrewolf myself, but it can be set up to look like a kiss TNC. I found this is the Direwolf manual:

        Start up Dire Wolf with the “-p” option to make the KISS pseudo terminal interface available.

         direwolf –p

        You should see a message something like this:

        Virtual KISS TNC is available on /dev/pts/5

        WARNING - Dire Wolf will hang eventually if nothing is reading from it.

        Created symlink /tmp/kisstnc -> /dev/pts/5

        You should then be able to set up a normal BPQ KISS port, with COMPORT=/tmp/kisstnc

        If you already have spare hardware TNCs you may be better off using them via Serial to USB adapters.

        73, John