BPQ Chat - Alarms / Beep Filters

  • kf4llf
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2014

      John,

      Enhancement Request!

      It has been brought to my attention that a BPQChat "Alarm or Beep Filter" could be very useful for monitoring CHAT conversations. Operators scanning for certain keywords that have been applied to a filter can receive a BELL or chime that indicates that their keyword was seen on BPQChat and possibly flash the window on the task bar or bring the window to the foreground. Although a "User Join Bell" is already included in BPQTermTCP, this added enhancement can be used in many ways.

      Our local club would like to use BPQChat and BPQTermTCP to create a Chat Server that would handle conversations occurring within a localized network and require a BEEP if a certain words, names, or callsigns were to appear anywhere on screen. They would like to have the ability to "alert" the terminal user if a certain word or words were typed during conversation. A few legacy packet terminal programs exist that can perform this feature, but most do not support 64 bit OS setups at this time and are also not capable of IP access to the Node/Chat Server.

      This "Alarm or Beep Filter" could be useful in all types of scenarios including ARES/RACES events, individual operator paging as well as general monitoring of chat traffic (users who may be performing other operations). If you were able to incorporate this into BPQTermTCP.exe, it could be used alongside RF Packet, with an IP network such as Broadband-Hamnet for communications across a localized network of computers, RF and more.

      Your thoughts, consideration and opinions of this added enhancement request and feedback are appreciated!

      73,

      Seth

      KF4LLF

      W4BFB Packet Sysop - Charlotte, NC USA

      http://packet.w4bfb.org

    • John

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2014
          I want to direct my original message to be more about asking John (G8BPQ) what his thoughts were in regards to enhanching BPQTermTCP.exe by adding a Keyword Alarm/Beep-Filter feature to the application Many different uses for this feature.

          Thanks John (WB4MOZ) for your information. It may very well get used in the process. I'm feeling confident about setup and configuration. I configure most of the Node Quality settings for the nodes in this area. Good tip on the second instance of the chat server though.

          Thanks again!

          Very 73,
          Seth
          KF4LLF

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2014

            Hi Seth,

            I'll add this to my list of things to do.

            73, John

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2014

               Hi Seth,

              Try this

              https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/BPQTermTCP.exe

              It reads a file "Keywords.sys" which should contain the words or phrases (one per line) that you want to trigger an alert. The file is read from the current directory, which will be the BPQ Configuration folder if you start BPQTermTCP from the shortcut created by the installer.

              This version sounds a "Beep", a bit higher in tone to the "Station Connected" alert. Adding other methods of alert, such as flashing the window may follow.

              73, John