NO-IP

  • Mark Milburn
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
      As of this morning, all the stations I have mapped with a NO-IP address
      are returning an error in my resolver window.  A google search talks about
      a court decision that lets Microsoft take over all of no-ip DNS.

      I'm not smart enough to know the implications here.  Can someone discuss what is going on and what BPQ32 users ought to be thinking about?

      Thanks.

      73 Mark  KQ0I

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
        Mark

        For any user of NO-IP, they have two options,
        1 use the Partners IP Address, how ever most are dynamic and will change
        2 switch to another DNS host:

        Read the following

        https://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ips-formal-statement-microsoft-takedown
        /

        Mike N9PMO
        BPQ32 Group Moderator

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014

            My no-ip.com domains are working fine. The no-ip.org dns has been redirected to a Microsoft server, which doesn't work.

            73, John G8BPQ

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
              My old hostnames were both NO-IP.ORG addresses.........I have since changed to DDNS.NET and everything is running fine again.

              Ken KD6PGI

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                John,Mike/group

                The only station I'm getting errors from are N9PMO-2 and NN4NC-9. Error 11001 B

                VE3UIL-7, W4BFB-10,AC4ZR-1, are working.

                Don va7dgp

                --
                Don Poaps
                New Westminster, BC

              • david
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                  Nor seeing n4JOA here .

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                    Don

                    VE3UIL W4BFB AC4AR (are NOT NO-IP.ORG users) this is why you are seeing them

                    Mike N9PMO
                    BPQ32 Group Moderator

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                      I can see KB5HAV-2 but cannot connect to it
                      I can see N4JOA-3 but cannot connect to it
                      I can see N9LYA-7 but cannot connect to it\\All are NO-IP.ORG and .INFO in my mapping.

                      You guys change it yet? Let me know.

                      73 Dave
                      n4zkf

                    • n4zkf
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                        Ok, I mapped you three to your IP's your resolving to. Hope they don't change. :)

                        Dave
                        n4zkf

                      • Jerry Kutche

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                              Yes, I do love static IP's...... I have had them so long I know them by heart. Good luck. Until everyone finds something I will watch the IP's to be sure there are no changes in resolving.

                              73 Dave
                              n4zkf

                            • Bill Vodall
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                                >> As of this morning, all the stations I have mapped with a NO-IP address
                                >> are returning an error in my resolver window. A google search talks about
                                >> a court decision that lets Microsoft take over all of no-ip DNS.

                                > I'll switch to some other paid service asap.

                                There's always 44 net - that has enough static IP's to go around and
                                it's pure Ham radio.

                                Even better we could come up with a real dynamic system for AXIP and
                                just announce available gateways via the APRS-IS infrastructure...

                                73,
                                Bill, WA7NWP
                              • Bill Vodall
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                                  >>> a court decision that lets Microsoft take over all of no-ip DNS.

                                  > There's always 44 net - that has enough static IP's to go around and
                                  > it's pure Ham radio.
                                  >
                                  > Even better we could come up with a real dynamic system for AXIP and
                                  > just announce available gateways via the APRS-IS infrastructure...

                                  Here's another Ham based dynamic DNS system - for DStar gateways...
                                  This is based on IRC instead of APRS...

                                  http://db0fhn.efi.fh-nuernberg.de/doku.php?id=projects:dstar:ircddb

                                  Bill
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                                    Bill

                                    You mite want to check with your ISP how much a static IP address is.

                                    Mine stays pretty much the same, but over the last couple of weeks I was
                                    having
                                    Internet problems, last Saturday after replacing the drop line, adding an
                                    attenuator
                                    And replacing the modem/router all seems to be ok now.

                                    Mike N9PMO
                                    BPQ32 Group Moderator

                                    >> As of this morning, all the stations I have mapped with a NO-IP address
                                    >> are returning an error in my resolver window. A google search talks
                                    about
                                    >> a court decision that lets Microsoft take over all of no-ip DNS.

                                    > I'll switch to some other paid service asap.

                                    There's always 44 net - that has enough static IP's to go around and
                                    it's pure Ham radio.

                                    Even better we could come up with a real dynamic system for AXIP and
                                    just announce available gateways via the APRS-IS infrastructure...

                                    73,
                                    Bill, WA7NWP

                                    Posted by: Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...>

                                    Yahoo Groups Links
                                  • Matt VK2RQ
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                                      Yes, I have a static 44-net address. But the associated IPIP tunnel is based on a DHCP-assigned Internet address. In my case I am lucky the underlying address doesn't seem to change, but if it would be more dynamic, I would need to use a dynamic DNS host name in my AMPRnet gateway entry, based on no-ip.org or similar, so it doesn't really solve anything.

                                      73, Matt VK2RQ