Re: Having problems getting BPQ to recognize KAM + (I think)

  • Howard Z.
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
      That sounds a bit inconvenient for Jim.
      Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
      and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.

      Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?

      Howard

      > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud rate
      > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
      >
      > 73, John

    • Eric Carling
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008

        Once in KISS mode, it will stay in KISS mode

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
          Thanks John,

          And actually I had wondered about that after looking at the KAM PLUS
          manual.. it is a non standard command you have to give it the
          command "INTFACE KISS" and then do a reset to perm it.

          I had figured that out late last night but that didnt do it either.
          Not sure what is going on. I suspect that I have something very
          simple that I have overlooked and it is driving me nuts.

          John I will send my bpqcfg.txt file to you via email see if you can
          pick up on what I have done wrong. I have some documentation up top
          to indicate what I am trying to do.

          Thanks guys for all your efforts.. especially you John.. this is a
          super program

          Jim
          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Z." <Howard_Z@...> wrote:

          > That sounds a bit inconvenient for Jim.
          > Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
          > and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.
          >
          > Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?
          >
          > Howard

          > > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud
          rate
          > > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
          > >
          > > 73, John

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
            I'm not that familiar with KAM's (I run PacComm tnc's here). But, I am
            curious.. won't the KAM hold the last setup spec. after power down/power
            up using it's built in battery (assuming it has one).. ?

            - Mark K2CAN

            Howard Z. wrote:

            > That sounds a bit inconvenient for Jim.
            > Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
            > and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.
            >
            > Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?
            >
            > Howard
            >
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "John
            > Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud rate
            > > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
            > >
            > > 73, John

          • la7um
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
              He might also enter the command PMODE KISS before the RESET command.

              This will ensure that the KAM+ is coming up in KISS mode after a
              power out.

              To get it into ordinary CMD mode, you from beeing in KISS has to
              enter (from a terminal program):
              alt 192
              alt 255
              alt 192
              using the numlock on.
              Then it pops up again in CMD mode until next powerout.

              To always coming up in CMD mode after powerout, you should enter the
              command PMODE TERM , but thats not good for an unattended posistion.
              73 de la7um Finn

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                This issue has been ongoing for about 20 years!. When I first wrote the code I was not aware of any TNCs that could not the set to power up in KISS mode, and, as there were so many  different ways of putting a TNC into KISS any programs that attempted to do it automatically caused more problems than they solved. I know not all authors have the same view, but I have not yet been convinced that my approach is wrong. I'm willing to listen to arguments, though!

                Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
                and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.

                Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?

                Howard

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:

                > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud rate
                > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
                >
                > 73, John

              • K.O. Higgs
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                  I have use the KAM+ for many years and it does not fall out of kiss mode
                  upon loss of power (at least it does not for me).

                  K.O. N0KFQ

                  --

                  K.O. Higgs
                  n0kfq@...
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                    There is a program 'setkiss' in the files section which perhaps can
                    put this device in KISS mode. After which it should remain in kiss
                    mode through a power cycle, unless the internal battery is dead..which
                    is a possibility.

                    Some time ago I did search the net for other 'setkiss' programs and
                    there are several. They have lots of options for the various tnc's
                    and tend to be confusing.

                    Again I have never heard of a tnc which will not retain kiss mode
                    after being so set up...unless it's defective or the battery is dead.

                    Ron, N5IN

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "K.O. Higgs" <n0kfq@...> wrote:

                    > I have use the KAM+ for many years and it does not fall out of kiss mode
                    > upon loss of power (at least it does not for me).
                    >
                    > K.O. N0KFQ
                    >
                    > John Wiseman wrote:
                    > >
                    > > This issue has been ongoing for about 20 years!. When I first wrote
                    > > the code I was not aware of any TNCs that could not the set to power
                    > > up in KISS mode, and, as there were so many different ways of
                    putting
                    > > a TNC into KISS any programs that attempted to do it automatically
                    > > caused more problems than they solved. I know not all authors have
                    the
                    > > same view, but I have not yet been convinced that my approach is
                    > > wrong. I'm willing to listen to arguments, though!
                    > >
                    > > 73,
                    > > John

                  • K
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                      I put my kam plus in kiss mode, reset, turn back on and it will stay in kissmode even after turning tnc on/off  I have to use a little program to make the kam plus exit the kiss mode..hi

                      Thank you
                      73
                      Kenny
                      KG5KS
                      DEC B AR

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008

                        Good afternoon all

                        Eric is correct once in Kiss it will stay in Kiss, with the exception of the very early KAM with no

                        Battery, then the command is PERM, I keep AGWPE on my computer to take one or more of

                        My TNC’S out of KISS, I use Hyper Term to place them back in kiss

                        IN KISS

                        RESET

                        Mike Melnik N9PMO

                        Once in KISS mode, it will stay in KISS mode

                        Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
                        and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.

                        Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?

                        Howard

                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:

                        > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud rate
                        > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
                        >
                        > 73, John

                      • Howard Z.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                          Ok John,

                          I was not aware than the Kantronics saved KISS mode.

                          My SCS TNC forgets it is in KISS mode every time it is powered up.
                          But I don't plan on using it much for packet - it was expensive and
                          purchased for Pactor use.

                          When I use it with AGWPE, AGWPE allows 2 commands to be sent to the
                          TNC during AGWPE port initialization, and 1 command to be sent to the
                          tnc during ABWPE shutdown. The commands are any ascii text the user
                          types into the configuration window.