Having problems getting BPQ to recognize KAM + (I think)

  • aat3ok
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 4, 2008
      OK, I have tried all the conventional things.. I have my own
      BPQCFG.txt and have compiled it. When I bring up the terminal program
      and try connecting to the port the radio is on I see connect messages
      on the transmit screen but it never keys the transmitter..

      I think for I have been tracking the wrong problem for several days
      now.. thinking it was my bpqcfg files. Sooo I decided to compile
      several bpqcfg files that others had sent me and with the transmitter
      in a dummy load, issued the normal C 2 and callsign. Again the same
      thing no transmitter key.

      So now I am thinking that it is a TNC problem. I am using a KAM Plus
      that is working correctly with normal packet programs including (WL2K)
      RMS Packet. I find myself wondering if the TNC is going into KISS
      mode correctly.

      Now I have a question regarding setting the TNC up in BPQ. Is there
      some TNC specific command in BPQ that tells it what type of TNC is
      being used or is it just generic TNC commands that determine which
      TNC is being used.

      Perplexed

      Jim
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 4, 2008

        Jim

        When you place the Kam Plus or KPC Plus only use the following commands

        IN KISS

        RESET

        Do not use the other available Kiss modes, such as XKCH ON it will not communicate

        With BPQ in my experience, Be sure Comport BAUD RATE is at least 19.2K, in BPQ

        Cfg.txt, com port speed and modem speed, both ports configured as 1st A second port B

        Mike Melnik N9PMO

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 4, 2008

          Mike,
          I will try the higher speed com ports but here is what is a short
          clip from my bpqcft.txt

          PORT
          PORTNUM=1 ; Optional but sets port number if stated
          ID=BPQ 145.65 MHz ; Displayed by PORTS command
          TYPE=ASYNC ; Port is RS232 Com
          PROTOCOL=KISS ; TNC is used in KISS mode
          FULLDUP=0 ; Only meaningful for KISS devices
          IOADDR=1 ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.
          SPEED=9600 ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED
          CHANNEL=A
          PERSIST=64 ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)

          so do I change the protocol command
          to PROTOCOL= IN KISS

          or just IN KISS on that line?

          I will pull the tnc off and change the baud rate when I get your
          answer.. so I can do it all at one time.

          Jim

          > Jim
          >

          > When you place the Kam Plus or KPC Plus only use the following
          commands

          > IN KISS
          >
          > RESET
          >

          > Do not use the other available Kiss modes, such as XKCH ON it will
          not
          > communicate
          >
          > With BPQ in my experience, Be sure Comport BAUD RATE is at least
          19.2K, in
          > BPQ
          >
          > Cfg.txt, com port speed and modem speed, both ports configured as
          1st A
          > second port B
          >

          > Mike Melnik N9PMO

          Behalf Of
          > aat3ok
          > Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 19:13
          > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [BPQ32] Having problems getting BPQ to recognize KAM + (I
          think)

          > OK, I have tried all the conventional things.. I have my own
          > BPQCFG.txt and have compiled it. When I bring up the terminal
          program
          > and try connecting to the port the radio is on I see connect
          messages
          > on the transmit screen but it never keys the transmitter..
          >
          > I think for I have been tracking the wrong problem for several days
          > now.. thinking it was my bpqcfg files. Sooo I decided to compile
          > several bpqcfg files that others had sent me and with the
          transmitter
          > in a dummy load, issued the normal C 2 and callsign. Again the same
          > thing no transmitter key.
          >
          > So now I am thinking that it is a TNC problem. I am using a KAM Plus
          > that is working correctly with normal packet programs including
          (WL2K)
          > RMS Packet. I find myself wondering if the TNC is going into KISS
          > mode correctly.
          >
          > Now I have a question regarding setting the TNC up in BPQ. Is there
          > some TNC specific command in BPQ that tells it what type of TNC is
          > being used or is it just generic TNC commands that determine which
          > TNC is being used.
          >
          > Perplexed
          >
          > Jim

        • Howard Z.
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 4, 2008
            How can JIM send his TNC the commands:
            "IN KISS"
            and
            "RESET".

            It is simple to have AGWPE send two commands to a TNC when AGWPE is
            started. But, how does one tell BPQ to send two commands to a TNC
            when BPQ starts up?

            Howard
          • Howard Z.
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 4, 2008
              I am currently using a TNC-X which is always in KISS mode - since that
              is all it can do.

              I also have an SCS PTC-IIEX TNC, which must be sent
              "PACKET" and "@K" to enter kiss mode.

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 4, 2008
                He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud rate (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                  That sounds a bit inconvenient for Jim.
                  Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
                  and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.

                  Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?

                  Howard

                  > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud rate
                  > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
                  >
                  > 73, John

                • Eric Carling
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008

                    Once in KISS mode, it will stay in KISS mode

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                      Thanks John,

                      And actually I had wondered about that after looking at the KAM PLUS
                      manual.. it is a non standard command you have to give it the
                      command "INTFACE KISS" and then do a reset to perm it.

                      I had figured that out late last night but that didnt do it either.
                      Not sure what is going on. I suspect that I have something very
                      simple that I have overlooked and it is driving me nuts.

                      John I will send my bpqcfg.txt file to you via email see if you can
                      pick up on what I have done wrong. I have some documentation up top
                      to indicate what I am trying to do.

                      Thanks guys for all your efforts.. especially you John.. this is a
                      super program

                      Jim
                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Z." <Howard_Z@...> wrote:

                      > That sounds a bit inconvenient for Jim.
                      > Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
                      > and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.
                      >
                      > Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?
                      >
                      > Howard

                      > > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud
                      rate
                      > > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
                      > >
                      > > 73, John

                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                        I'm not that familiar with KAM's (I run PacComm tnc's here). But, I am
                        curious.. won't the KAM hold the last setup spec. after power down/power
                        up using it's built in battery (assuming it has one).. ?

                        - Mark K2CAN

                        Howard Z. wrote:

                        > That sounds a bit inconvenient for Jim.
                        > Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
                        > and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.
                        >
                        > Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?
                        >
                        > Howard
                        >
                        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "John
                        > Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud rate
                        > > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
                        > >
                        > > 73, John

                      • la7um
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                          He might also enter the command PMODE KISS before the RESET command.

                          This will ensure that the KAM+ is coming up in KISS mode after a
                          power out.

                          To get it into ordinary CMD mode, you from beeing in KISS has to
                          enter (from a terminal program):
                          alt 192
                          alt 255
                          alt 192
                          using the numlock on.
                          Then it pops up again in CMD mode until next powerout.

                          To always coming up in CMD mode after powerout, you should enter the
                          command PMODE TERM , but thats not good for an unattended posistion.
                          73 de la7um Finn

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                            This issue has been ongoing for about 20 years!. When I first wrote the code I was not aware of any TNCs that could not the set to power up in KISS mode, and, as there were so many  different ways of putting a TNC into KISS any programs that attempted to do it automatically caused more problems than they solved. I know not all authors have the same view, but I have not yet been convinced that my approach is wrong. I'm willing to listen to arguments, though!

                            Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
                            and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.

                            Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?

                            Howard

                            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:

                            > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud rate
                            > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
                            >
                            > 73, John

                          • K.O. Higgs
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                              I have use the KAM+ for many years and it does not fall out of kiss mode
                              upon loss of power (at least it does not for me).

                              K.O. N0KFQ

                              --

                              K.O. Higgs
                              n0kfq@...
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                                There is a program 'setkiss' in the files section which perhaps can
                                put this device in KISS mode. After which it should remain in kiss
                                mode through a power cycle, unless the internal battery is dead..which
                                is a possibility.

                                Some time ago I did search the net for other 'setkiss' programs and
                                there are several. They have lots of options for the various tnc's
                                and tend to be confusing.

                                Again I have never heard of a tnc which will not retain kiss mode
                                after being so set up...unless it's defective or the battery is dead.

                                Ron, N5IN

                                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "K.O. Higgs" <n0kfq@...> wrote:

                                > I have use the KAM+ for many years and it does not fall out of kiss mode
                                > upon loss of power (at least it does not for me).
                                >
                                > K.O. N0KFQ
                                >
                                > John Wiseman wrote:
                                > >
                                > > This issue has been ongoing for about 20 years!. When I first wrote
                                > > the code I was not aware of any TNCs that could not the set to power
                                > > up in KISS mode, and, as there were so many different ways of
                                putting
                                > > a TNC into KISS any programs that attempted to do it automatically
                                > > caused more problems than they solved. I know not all authors have
                                the
                                > > same view, but I have not yet been convinced that my approach is
                                > > wrong. I'm willing to listen to arguments, though!
                                > >
                                > > 73,
                                > > John

                              • K
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                                  I put my kam plus in kiss mode, reset, turn back on and it will stay in kissmode even after turning tnc on/off  I have to use a little program to make the kam plus exit the kiss mode..hi

                                  Thank you
                                  73
                                  Kenny
                                  KG5KS
                                  DEC B AR

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008

                                    Good afternoon all

                                    Eric is correct once in Kiss it will stay in Kiss, with the exception of the very early KAM with no

                                    Battery, then the command is PERM, I keep AGWPE on my computer to take one or more of

                                    My TNC’S out of KISS, I use Hyper Term to place them back in kiss

                                    IN KISS

                                    RESET

                                    Mike Melnik N9PMO

                                    Once in KISS mode, it will stay in KISS mode

                                    Every time his tnc is powered on he's got to bring up hyperterminal
                                    and type two commands. Not great for an unattended operation.

                                    Maybe this can be added to the wish-list of future changes?

                                    Howard

                                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:

                                    > He can't. The TNC must be set into KISS mode at the required baud rate
                                    > (eg by using Hyperterminal) before starting BPQ.
                                    >
                                    > 73, John

                                  • Howard Z.
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                                      Ok John,

                                      I was not aware than the Kantronics saved KISS mode.

                                      My SCS TNC forgets it is in KISS mode every time it is powered up.
                                      But I don't plan on using it much for packet - it was expensive and
                                      purchased for Pactor use.

                                      When I use it with AGWPE, AGWPE allows 2 commands to be sent to the
                                      TNC during AGWPE port initialization, and 1 command to be sent to the
                                      tnc during ABWPE shutdown. The commands are any ascii text the user
                                      types into the configuration window.