Re: [BPQ32] Delete a route

  • Ron Stordahl
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 3, 2008
      A locked route?  Remove the the locked route from your bpqcfg.txt file using an editor and save the edited file..  Close BPQ32.  Delete BPQNODES.DAT.  Execute bpqcfg.exe to create a new bpqcfg.bin.  Now restart BPQ32.  The locked route will be gone.

      Ron, N5IN

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 3, 2008
        Howard,

        Ron's suggestinn of editing the files and restarting (or , if you are using the latest version, you can use Actions, Reread Config on the Console Window) is probably the simplest. However, there is a SYSOP mode command to edit the route table. You can't actually delete a route, but you can set it to a quality of zero and lock it, which has the same effect.

        To enter sysop mode enter PASSWORD. If locally connected, you will go into SYSOP mode. If on a remote machine you will get a numeric challenge. Enter PASSWORD followed by the corresponding chars from your PASSWORD.BPQ file.

        Syntax is:

        ROUTE CALL P QUAL             Changes the quality (P = Port Number)

        ROUTE CALL P !                    Toggles the LOCKED flag.

        or even

        ROUTE CALL P QUAL !           Set quality and toggle locked.

        You can either update an existing entry, or add a new one.

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 3, 2008
          Well, I should have been more descriptive about what happened.

          I used the many-application example setup directory.
          Modified the files, then copied them all to the BPQ32 directory.
          I had not looked at the BPQNODES.DAT file, and it had two add route
          commands in it. I replaced BPQNODES.DAT with a blank file, the
          additional nodes disappeared, but not the routes. I could see them
          in the Terminal Program. I even deleted the BPQNODES.DAT file, but
          after a BPQ restart the files comes back with the two routes in it.

          In the Terminal program I tried "routes del" and the route name, but
          it didn't work. I tried "routes remove" and the route name, but all
          I did was add another route named "remove". HEHE

          When I didn't get a response here - after a few hours - I figured
          out a simple way to delete the routes.

          I saved my config files, went to control panel and uninstalled
          BPQ32, then reinstalled BPQ32. All is well.

          However, I should have been able to delete the route using the
          Terminal program - I just did not know the correct syntex.

          Now I am trying to figure out how to add FBB.
          My first attempt did not work.
          When adding a port, there was no BPQ option.
          I'll reread the instructions, uninstall and try again tomorrow
          morning.

          Howard

          > Howard
          >

          > Send me a copy of your BPQAXIP.CFG and BPQNODES.DAT and what route
          you want
          > to delete
          >
          > so I can look it over, send to my E-Mail Address
          >

          > Mike Melnik N9PMO

          Behalf Of
          > Howard Z.
          > Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 21:14
          > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [BPQ32] Delete a route
          >

          > How can I delete a ROUTE ?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Howard

        • Ron Stordahl
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 3, 2008
            Howard

            Routes which are stored in the BPQNODES.DAT file will return when you restart BPQ32 unless with BPQ32 ended you delete the BPQNODES.DAT file.  BPQ32 will reallocate it when needed, but at least you will start with a blank nodes list.  Your routes list however will contain any locked routes you have in your bpqcfg.txt file.  It is my view that locked routes are overused, in most applications there is no need for them at all if you have appropriate values for QUALITY and MINQUAL.  The 'R' and 'N' list will be built up as your node receives node broadcasts from other nodes.

            Since you are new to this I will also mention that editing the bpqcfg.txt file is not enough, you must compile it by executing bpqcfg.exe.

            You should get a clean start if you do as above.

            Ron, N5IN

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Mike Melnik" <mmelnik1@.. .> wrote:

            > Howard
            >

            > Send me a copy of your BPQAXIP.CFG and BPQNODES.DAT and what route
            you want
            > to delete
            >
            > so I can look it over, send to my E-Mail Address
            >

            > Mike Melnik N9PMO

          • WS7I
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
              Guess I will argue with this one, Ron. I connect to several people
              and one of which has probably 2,000 routes and he sends them to me.
              If I don't lock his route down then all of this stuff gets put in my
              routing table. Internet routing with BPQ should IMHO use locked
              routes a lot.

              e.g. I have a bpq link to a AR-Cluster, I have a bunch of local RF
              routes, and the AR-Cluster really doesn't want the ARES/RACES group
              over there just roaming around as they are merely linking AR-Clusters
              or clusters.

              Same with my RMS I really don't need it going more than 1 local RF
              node away as the last thing I need is people DXing my RMS link.

              Locked routes have a good place in many applications.

              Jay

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                Jay

                With proper values for QUALITY and MINQUAL on your node you can control how much of what you receive goes into your nodes table.
                A starting point for QUALITY is 192 and MINQUAL is 168.  These occur in multiple places so be sure you have them all.

                If your nodes table is still too large, increase MINQUAL closer to 192.

                For all of this I am assuming you have no locked routes, which means the nodes you hear directly will themselves enter your node table as 192, but the nodes which connect to them will be reduced from that value, perhaps less than 168, in which case they won't add to your nodes table.

                Ron, N5IN

                On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Ron Stordahl <ron_n5in@yahoo. com> wrote:

                > It is my view that locked routes are
                > overused, in most applications there is no need for them at all if you have
                > appropriate values for QUALITY and MINQUAL. The 'R' and 'N' list will be
                > built up as your node receives node broadcasts from other nodes.

              • Howard Z.
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 7, 2008
                  Still having problems...don't like uninstalling and reinstalling BPQ
                  so many times to get rid of routes and nodes.

                  In bpqaxip.cfg in had added:
                  MAP N9PMO-2.....

                  Now after a while I did not like seeing the broadcasting of all the
                  nodes the N9PMO-2 can reach.

                  So I comment out the MAP statement with a ";"
                  I also comment out "BROADCAST NODES" with a ";"
                  Doesn't help.

                  I look in BPQNODES.DAT and his routes and nodes are there.
                  So, I shutdown BPQ and delete all lines in BPQNODES.DAT

                  I start BPQ again, and it still broadcasts N9PMO-2 nodes.

                  In BPQTerminal, if I type Nodes, I see N9PMO-2.

                  Now, I look in BPQNODES.DAT and the file is empty.
                  I stop BPQ
                  I look in BPQNODES.DAT and N9PMO-2 is back in the file again.

                  Now, I am not saying this is a bad thing,
                  but I do not feel in control of what nodes are reachable.

                  I see the possible future of my BPQ/FBB/RMS (and maybe ARCLUSTER too)
                  switching to MARS and then only want other MARS packet stations
                  connecting to each other. MARS and HAM doesn't mix. MARS uses
                  different frequencies, and MARS wants a certain amount of privacy.

                  Thus the lack of control here is undesirable.

                  I purposely got N9PMO-2 connectivity as a test, and now can't stop it.

                  Of course I may just be doing something stupid.
                  What ideas do you have?

                  Howard
                • Howard Z.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 7, 2008
                    Changing the axip socket number appears to have stopped the additional
                    nodes.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 8, 2008
                      Howard,

                      The MAP entries control where messages go to, not where they are received from.

                      If you don't want NODES broadcasts from a particular station, just ask them to stop sending.

                      If you can't contact the sender, you can add a locked route entry with a quality of zero. This will stop any entries from that station appearing in you lists. Locked routes can be added in bpqcfg.txt, by editing BPQNODES.DAT, or by sysop command as I described here a few days ago.

                      Changing the Listening port will stop you getting messages, but will also mean you can't communicate with anyone unless they change the port they are sending to.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 8, 2008

                        Howard

                        For now I have your DNS commented out, you wont receive and nodes broadcast  from my Station.

                        Mike Melnik N9PMO

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 8, 2008
                          Thanks Mike,

                          It wasn't so bad, it is just that I did not understand how it works,
                          and felt I did not have control.

                          I would see the nodes broadcasting in BPQTerminal over and over, and
                          thinking they are probably also being transmitting on VHF. I found
                          that undesirable.

                          It was a nice experiment - to try the feature.

                          I am still trying to figure out how to use WinFBB.
                          I should master WinFBB before connecting and sharing.

                          I sent a message to everyone (really just me) SB ALL.
                          Now the message is being held for approval - and I trying to figure
                          out how to do that.

                          Thanks for all the help you have provided on and off the group.

                          Howard
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 8, 2008

                            Howard

                            As long as the MINQUAL= on the RF Port is 0 no broadcast will go out, the message is probably

                            Being held as there isn’t a route in a forwarding file to go to? In the F2 window use the RE CMD

                            Then you have the option to change the Route, Kill it of U (Unhold) enter is required for the CMD.

                            Mike Melnik N9PMO

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 8, 2008
                              Hi Howard,
                              Regarding your message being held. Type RE at the BBS prompt.
                              Several options will come up for you to take action on. You can
                              (U)nhold it, (R)ead it or (K)ill.
                              Refer to RE in the Sysop command help files..
                              73,
                              Art, N9ZZK

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 8, 2008

                                Howard

                                In my haste I gave you the wrong information, setting the RF Port QUAL=0 will stop node broadcast

                                Not the MINQUAL=

                                You can increase the MINQUAL= on the RF Port to minimize my nodes from being sent or lock my

                                Route higher then the Port QUAL=

                                My station being that it now only has two RF Ports I don’t send any Nodes Broadcast on the RF Ports

                                How ever changing the Quality any way you want you will still see my Node Broadcast if I enable them

                                This I won’t do unless I hear different from you.

                                What Art wrote is much the same as I described.

                                When I did connect to your Node via AXIP, I noticed the only program functional was FBB to a point

                                Your APPL XQUAL must be very low as I was not able to connect to FBB with AUTO Forward.

                                I was quite confused with all the DX stuff you have in the APPLICATIONS, was under the standing you

                                Only had AR-Cluster? If so what is all the other cmds in the BPQ MENU, to make things easier FBB

                                Should be the first application and noted as BBS and not FBB, unless the application= is the same (FBB)

                                As FBB isn’t really an Application, that is that requires the AGWtoBPQ.EXE such as AR-Cluster does and

                                Depending on the version of RMS you are using.

                                I did try you straight call if that is what you use for FBB, BPQ Barked at me wanting a Port number, this is very

                                Unusual to see happen.

                                To go further on FBB and the Bulletin/Message problem, any GROUP that is @ALL needs to be in a forwarding File

                                In order for that Group to go anywhere, I will send you a example of a Telnet forward file.

                                Mike Melnik N9PMO

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008
                                  Howard

                                  Would you be so kind as to e-mail me your 'bpqcfg.txt' and 'bpqaxip.cfg' files?  Perhaps zip them up and e-mail to:  ronn5in-x328@...

                                  Ill review them and make my recommended changes.

                                  Thanks

                                  Ron Stordahl, N5IN