One Raspberry PI is not like the other ones

  • Tadd Torborg
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2014
      I have a Raspberry PI that is not like the other ones.  It has no mounting holes for one thing.  It also won’t talk to the TNC-PIs using the same boot SDcard as a Raspberry PI that talks to them just fine.
      I did i2cdetect -y 1 on each unit.  The working unit saw both TNC-PI I2C addresses.  I moved the TNC-PIs and the SDCARD over to the non working Raspberry PI and it boots just fine but now i2cdetect -y 1 doesn’t detect the TNC PIs.
      Are there different vintages?  The non working one has the same connectors and is the same shape as the working units.

      These photos are of the non working unit.  Note that the heatsinks were added by the ham I got it from, not the manufacturer.  I don’t see a country of origin silkscreened on this board.

      These are of a working unit, from China I see.

      At least one of my units said product of UK but the two working ones I have here at my house are both Chinese.

      If I could recognize the difference in code, or by inspection I could do a work-around or something maybe.
      Thanks for any help.
         Tadd / KA2DEW

      Tadd Torborg

    • hbco2
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2014

        Tadd,

        I believe the ‘non-working’ unit is the first issue of the raspberry pi.  Two versions have been released and your ‘working’ unit is of the second variety.  Mine has “made in the UK ” printed along one edge but is otherwise identical to your Chinese mfr version, and is the second version.  A major difference between the two versions is the increase of on-board memory in the second version.  Complete information is readily available on the Internet.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 5 , May 6, 2014
          Thanks Bill.  Internet research shows the search term required is “revision”.   Raspberry PI Model B has the EtherNET connector.  Model B Revision 1 and Model B Revision 2  are different.  The memory size apparently wasn’t the deal because there were 256M revision 2 units,

          This web site seemed to make it ugly:

          The mounting holes are the first obvious difference between Rev 1 and Rev 2 of the model B.  Rev 1 had no mounting holes.  The other difference is I2C is on bus 0 on the rev 1 and bus 1 on the rev 2.  I seem to remember having seen that in some of the TNC-PI documentation.  I really don’t want to have to deal with that, especially considering the small number of rev 1 units out there.  I think I’ll just put a caveat in the documentation that says that the docs work for units with mounting holes and link to a page explaining what the rev 1 units are all about.

          Thanks for the clue Bill.

             Tadd  KA2DEW

          Tadd Torborg

          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2014

            Tadd,

            As you have found, there are two versions of the PI Model B. The earlier one, without the holes, has the main i2c bus on bus 0. Most of them have 256 MB RAM, but a few were built.with 512. I think they are the Rev 2 boards. Version 2 has 512 MB RAM and the I2c bus on Bus 1. There is also a Model A, which has the mounting holes and the i2c bus on bus 1, but 256 MB RAM, no Ethernet and only one USB port. The main advantage of the A, apart from the slightly lower cost, is that it consumes around half the power, so if I was building a remote node that relied on battery backup I’d consider using it. I use one for an instrumentation controller on by boat because of the lower power consumption.

            I think the simplest way to tell which you have in software would be to set the TNC to i2c mode, then look for it on either bus 0 or 1.

            There are a lot of version 1 boards around (I have 3, and one version 2), so not supporting them may be a bit restrictive.

            73, John

            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2014
              Has anyone ever installed ROM DOS on a Raspberry board? In the past, I
              have had good luck with ROM DOS on PC-104 form mini-computers. A few
              years before the Raspberry PC came out, I had BPQ running under ROM DOS
              in an industrial mini-PC pulled out of an early touch-screen tablet used
              for inventory control.

              73 DE Charles, N5PVL