SCS Tracker test

  • vk2na
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2014
      Hi,

      I have an SCS Tracker connected to the mic of my IC-7200.

      Today by accident I turned on my VOX and the radio started going into transmit mode, with alc and power output being measured.

      A second radio confirms that when the track is not transmitting it sends constant MCU processor noise on the audio line into the radio.  Changing between HF and RP baud rates changes the pitch and level of white noise on the line.

      If somebody with a tracker to emulate my experience let me know.  If not I fear I have a faulty Tracker.

      Regards,

      Dave
    • wa4zko
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2014
        Dave,
        I just tested this on my rig. Granted I have my modems feeding off the data port vs microphone jack so keep that in mind.

        Both my Tracker and KAM+ will start triggering VOX ptt if I turn on digital VOX and max out the VOX sensitivity settings. This is not surprising considering how sensitive those 10k data ports can be and I suspect most modems will have at least a bit of idle noise on their outputs. Plus there is always room for cabling to introduce some low level noise too.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO
      • vk2na
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19, 2014

          Thanks Jeff,

          I also had an email from SCS suggesting this is normal and the best result is from lowering mic gain and increasing the input level to improve the S/N ration.

          So I take things as being okay at my end.  It doesn't seem to hinder things, but when I first noticed it - it did seem to be at a significant level.

          Thanks,

          Dave VK2NA