BPQcfg.txt documentation

  • Howard Z.
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
      Hello, I am just starting to learn how to setup and use BPQ32.

      One thing I immediately notice is how non-user friendly BPQ is
      compared to AGW.

      OK, I found the example BQPcfg.txt files, but the documentation
      provides no assistance or explanations for the many parameters.

      Is this documented somewhere?

      Howard
      N3ZH
    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
        Howard

        You are correct, the documentation is limited.

        Much of what exists is in ..\RelatedFiles\BPQ409D\.  Beyond that there are the files in ..\Docs\ and sample configurations in ..\Examples\.  The example configurations include descriptions, such as they are, of the parameters.

        John G8BPQ started 'BPQ' ages ago, I don't think he would have ever expected it would still be a millstone around his neck, now that he is retired and enjoying a lifelong love of sailing.  For myself, I am a user of BPQ since the DOS days and perhaps foolishly bugged John to such a degree that he could have either called it quits or made changes I reqested.  Thankfully he chose the later.

        So Howard, we are doing our best, both having better things to do!

        The documentation may improve..eventually.  Inspite of that there are a lot of BPQ32 users, many get help here on the reflector, and have become 'experts' in their own right.  They will be glad to assist you, as will I.

        73 Ron Stordahl, N5IN

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
          Howard,

          Feel free to shoot us some specific questions. There are a number of us
          here that have been running DosBPQ and BPQ32 for quite some time that,
          I'm sure, would be more than willing to help you.

          It's real helpful to include information on your system (OS, hardware
          configuration, etc.) when you ask.

          - Mark K2CAN

          Howard Z. wrote:

          > Hello, I am just starting to learn how to setup and use BPQ32.
          >
          > One thing I immediately notice is how non-user friendly BPQ is
          > compared to AGW.
          >
          > OK, I found the example BQPcfg.txt files, but the documentation
          > provides no assistance or explanations for the many parameters.
          >
          > Is this documented somewhere?
          >
          > Howard
          > N3ZH

        • D.Calder n4zkf
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
            Gladly, that's what this group is for. We all like to help.

            73 Dave n4zkf

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008

              Good afternoon Howard

              Over the years John G8BPQ and Ron N5IN have worked very hard

              trying to meet all the demands for other programs to work with BPQ.

              BPQ is a stand alone AX25, AXIP, Telnet, Terminal & Node Switch

              very few Packet programs have true a network node,

              This is where BPQ comes into play, I think it would be almost impossible to

              write a complete setup and operations manual for BPQ without it being a book size.

              With the addition of the AGWtoBPQ.EXE programs such as RMS, Packlink MP requiring

              AGWPE isn’t needed unless you need or prefer to use AGWPE as a Sound Card TNC’S

              (2 per sound card) if not needed why use AGWPE, just another program running.

              There are many of us in the BPQ Group that will be more then happy to answer

              and assist with the installation, the use and questions for any of the versions of BPQ.

              I have written many BPQCFG files for new users, as Mark & Dave commented

              feel free to ask any questions.

              Please Include the Following:

              Operating System (W2K, XP, etc.)

              BPQ Version

              All Programs you will be running with BPQ, (BBS, RMS, Clusters, Etc.)

              If running one of the FBB Systems, Include the version (F6FBB 16,32 Bit, 7.01-35)

              Mike Melnik N9PMO

              Hello, I am just starting to learn how to setup and use BPQ32.

              One thing I immediately notice is how non-user friendly BPQ is
              compared to AGW.

              OK, I found the example BQPcfg.txt files, but the documentation
              provides no assistance or explanations for the many parameters.

              Is this documented somewhere?

              Howard
              N3ZH

            • Scott Avery
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                Hello All,

                I personally would like to be able to use RMS and FBB on the same confuser
                with BPQ and AGWPE (if needed). The ability to have a BBS and RMS station in one box.

                73, Scott WA6LIE

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008

                  Scott

                  Please let use know which FBB you are running 7.00 E or 16 bit, 32 Bit? Or are you running

                  WinFbb 7.01-35 known as 7.01A

                  Mike Melnik N9PMO

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 21, 2008
                    Mike,

                    I am using FBB 7.01.35A 32 bit.

                    73, Scott

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 22, 2008
                      Scott,

                      I am running WinFBB 7.01.35A and RMS 999.1.4.6
                      (which I believe is a beta) with BPQ32 4.10.6
                      Build 7
                      These are running on an Intel MB based system
                      using a C2D E2180 2.0 Gig processor. The OS is
                      XP Pro.
                      There are several other applications running
                      24/7 on that machine here.. WebCamXP as well as
                      DNS2Go and Apache Server. The machine has a
                      single nic connected to a router (Linksys) and
                      on to an ASDL modem.

                      I haven't had any problems with this setup and
                      very little down time... any 'down time' has
                      mostly been to do with MS update installs or my
                      fiddling with things.

                      If you (or anyone else) would like more detailed
                      information on the hardware and (or) software
                      configuration here, please contact me off the
                      group using -

                      k2can (at) frontiernet.net

                      - Mark K2CAN

                      Scott Avery wrote:

                      > Mike,
                      >
                      > I am using FBB 7.01.35A 32 bit.
                      >
                      > 73, Scott

                    • la7um
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 25, 2008
                        Hi. Tnx Ron for giving info abt update in one of the Winlink forums.
                        This gave me info to be aware of this group.

                        I have the intention of starting a winlink RMS packet and RMS pactor
                        on our club station near Oslo , Norway. LA3F.
                        We have for years been running a combination of Dos FlexNet and dos
                        FBB7.00 something...dont remember on one 486.
                        And dos BPQ 4.08 and DxNet cluster on another pc. But the packet
                        network around us is closed down into only aprs.

                        The Flexnet pc with an USCC4 card and 4 baycom modems have given us 4
                        radio ports.
                        The link between the FlexNet/pc with the radios has been through a
                        KISS RS232 9k6 cable into the BPQ/DxNet pc , also a 486machine, or a
                        better pentium machine. I dont remember the last update by the sysop.
                        From this PC we also had a cable link into a KPC4 and KAMe running
                        home made SYNAPSE software, which opened up for amtor, pactor1 and
                        gtor hf to be run from packet. ( a 3. pc)

                        Is there a possibility to use this RS232 Kiss link from Dos-FlexNet
                        into BPQ32 in cooperation with RMS Packet?

                        Maybe also with FBB and DxNet on the same winxp-pro computer, and
                        linked into internet?

                        A crucial part of the set up is the functioning KISS link on the
                        rs232 between the FlexNet and BPQ computers.
                        I am not 100% sure that this will work in rs232 kiss from FlexNet
                        into AGWpe, but it works into the dos BPQ 408. ( We have not updated
                        to 4.09D, new for me) but will test it, maybe the lockups of the
                        DxNet cluster will end).
                        We will off course close down the Synapse hf gateway when
                        establishing the RMS Pactor system.

                        We are still at the planning stage.

                        Best 73 from la7um Finn, and tnx for the good work for us all form
                        John and Ron.

                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:

                        > Scott,
                        >
                        > I am running WinFBB 7.01.35A and RMS 999.1.4.6
                        > (which I believe is a beta) with BPQ32 4.10.6
                        > Build 7
                        > These are running on an Intel MB based system
                        > using a C2D E2180 2.0 Gig processor. The OS is
                        > XP Pro.
                        > There are several other applications running
                        > 24/7 on that machine here.. WebCamXP as well as
                        > DNS2Go and Apache Server. The machine has a
                        > single nic connected to a router (Linksys) and
                        > on to an ASDL modem.
                        >
                        > I haven't had any problems with this setup and
                        > very little down time... any 'down time' has
                        > mostly been to do with MS update installs or my
                        > fiddling with things.
                        >
                        > If you (or anyone else) would like more detailed
                        > information on the hardware and (or) software
                        > configuration here, please contact me off the
                        > group using -
                        >
                        > k2can (at) frontiernet.net
                        >
                        > - Mark K2CAN
                        >

                        > Scott Avery wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Mike,
                        > >
                        > > I am using FBB 7.01.35A 32 bit.
                        > >
                        > > 73, Scott

                        11/21/2008 9:37 AM

                      • Howard Z.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 26, 2008
                          Thank you for your kind welcome.

                          I am going to put off - for a little while, trying to use BPQ to
                          replace AGWPE to communicate with KISS TNCs.

                          In addition, I am not sure that Paclink and RMS Packet support BPQ
                          yet - as I see a greyed out menu item that it is coming soon.

                          I have a bit on my plate right now, and it appears BPQ will require
                          some amount of learning time/curve.

                          But I do plan to try it - and to come here asking silly questions
                          from time to time.

                          Thanks,
                          Howard
                          N3ZH

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 27, 2008

                            Happy Thanksgiving Howard and to the Group

                            Yes both RMS and Packlink MP are completely compatible with BPQ, For Packlink and WinFbb 7.01 nothing

                            Special is needed other the in the related files in root folder of BPQ there is a folder just for 7.01-35

                            This contains instructs how to mask BPQ from send a beacon out on all ports, you need to copy or move

                            The bpq.dll to the CONFIG, Driver folder, make Port 1 in FBB as the BPQ Port (This is important) select

                            The number of connections make sure that BPQ was shut down, when you start WinFbb this will start BPQ.EXE.

                            Now if using RMS, John has a replacement RMS.EXE and a few DLL’S that will replace existing in the RMS Main folder

                            You will need to renter all information for RMS, save your RMS.INI but move it out of the folder or it will be replaced, this

                            Will make it easier for you information to be added to the new RMS, in the BPQCFG.TXT RMS will be needed as an

                            Application, Call Sign, Alias Call Sign and QUALITY= I would recommend the quality to be 1 less the minqual= in

                            The AXIP Port if you choose to use, this will stop the spread of the RMS Call sign and Alias throughout the network.

                            I will send you a copy of my bpqcfg.txt to look over, with an AGWPE port so you can still use AGWPE as you like.

                            Mike Melnik N9PMO

                            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Mike Melnik" <mmelnik1@.. .> wrote:

                            > Good afternoon Howard
                            >

                            > Over the years John G8BPQ and Ron N5IN have worked very hard
                            >
                            > trying to meet all the demands for other programs to work with BPQ.
                            >

                            > BPQ is a stand alone AX25, AXIP, Telnet, Terminal & Node Switch
                            >
                            > very few Packet programs have true a network node,
                            >
                            > This is where BPQ comes into play, I think it would be almost
                            impossible to

                            > write a complete setup and operations manual for BPQ without it
                            being a book
                            > size.
                            >

                            > With the addition of the AGWtoBPQ.EXE programs such as RMS,
                            Packlink MP
                            > requiring
                            >
                            > AGWPE isn't needed unless you need or prefer to use AGWPE as a
                            Sound Card
                            > TNC'S
                            >
                            > (2 per sound card) if not needed why use AGWPE, just another
                            program
                            > running.
                            >

                            > There are many of us in the BPQ Group that will be more then happy
                            to answer

                            > and assist with the installation, the use and questions for any of
                            the
                            > versions of BPQ.
                            >

                            > I have written many BPQCFG files for new users, as Mark & Dave
                            commented

                            > feel free to ask any questions.
                            >

                            > Please Include the Following:
                            >

                            > Operating System (W2K, XP, etc.)
                            >
                            > BPQ Version
                            >
                            > All Programs you will be running with BPQ, (BBS, RMS, Clusters,
                            Etc.)

                            > If running one of the FBB Systems, Include the version (F6FBB
                            16,32 Bit,
                            > 7.01-35)
                            >

                            > Mike Melnik N9PMO

                          • WS7I
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 28, 2008
                              Anyone running RMS and Spider both under BPQ32 care to send me a copy
                              of your bpqcfg file it would be appreciated.
                            • aat3ok
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 29, 2008
                                Ok... what the heck is spider?
                                and what is its function?

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 29, 2008
                                  Jim,

                                  Spider is a DX Cluster application. If you are not familiar with Dx
                                  Clusters, here is a good site for info.. http://www.dxcluster.info/

                                  - Mark K2CAN

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 29, 2008
                                    Spider AKA DX-Spider. A DX Spotting program.

                                    --
                                    Jay WS7I
                                  • aat3ok
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 29, 2008
                                      Mark,
                                      Thanks for the info.. not sure what I would use a cluster for but
                                      the other stuff is really neat and have been looking for all the
                                      docs.. must have missed the bpq docs... looking in the files section again

                                      thanks

                                      Jim

                                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark <mharloff@...> wrote:

                                      > Jim,
                                      >
                                      > Spider is a DX Cluster application. If you are not familiar with Dx
                                      > Clusters, here is a good site for info.. http://www.dxcluster.info/
                                      >
                                      > - Mark K2CAN
                                      >

                                      > aat3ok wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > Ok... what the heck is spider?
                                      > > and what is its function?
                                      > >
                                      > > Jim
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, WS7I
                                      > > <ws7ik7tj@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Anyone running RMS and Spider both under BPQ32 care to send me
                                      a copy
                                      > > > of your bpqcfg file it would be appreciated.

                                      11/29/2008 10:37 AM