DYNDNS will no-longer have free accounts

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014
      http://dyn.com/blog/why-we-decided-to-stop-offering-free-accounts/

      Mike N9PMO
      BPQ32 Group Moderator
      www.n9pmo.com
    • Bill Vodall
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

        > http://dyn.com/blog/why-we-decided-to-stop-offering-free-accounts/

        Perhaps a good time to visit 44net? There's actually signs of
        progress and new development on the system.

        http://www.ampr.org/

        Bill, WA7NWP
      • Joel Yates
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

          As far as I know no-ip.com still has free. Service if your IP address changes. And if you have a static IP it does not cost that much.
          ...Joel N4JOA

        • Bobby Graves - KB5HAV
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

            And with NO-IP, you can select with suffix you prefer…for free.

            73

            Bobby

            KB5HAV

            As far as I know no-ip.com still has free. Service if your IP address changes. And if you have a static IP it does not cost that much.
            ...Joel N4JOA

          • Jerry Kutche
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

              Bad for them. Lol.  Net44 comes to mind.... Thanks for heads up...

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

                Bill,

                How would using 44 net help? I can see I could use 44 addresses for links, but how do I set up tunnels without dynamic dns?

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014
                  > How would using 44 net help? I can see I could use 44 addresses for links, but how do I set up tunnels without dynamic dns?

                  44Net could be the dynamic dns. They (JNOS and ?) have a scheme now
                  where clients can log in and get a 44 net number even if they don't
                  have a static IP.

                  Bill
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

                    Ok, Bill.

                    I must be missing something. I don't necessarily need to get a dynamic 44 net address, I would need to be able to connect to someone who has a 44 net address (static or dynamic) over the Internet. My understanding is that to do that I need an IPIP tunnel to that site, and that can only be set up if the other end knows my ISP IP address. They get this via RIP44d or a static encap file, and as I don't have a static ISP address this is found from my Dynamic DNS Host Name.

                    73, John

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

                      > I don't necessarily need to get a dynamic 44 net address, I would need to be able to connect to someone who has a 44 net address (static or dynamic) over the Internet. My understanding is that to do that I need an IPIP tunnel to that site, and that can only be set up if the other end knows my ISP IP address.

                      Correct on the IPIP tunnel - but there some code now that learns the
                      return IP address from a 'login' of the server. This is similar to
                      the AXIP code in BPQ that no longer needs a fixed IP return path.

                      > They get this via RIP44d or a static encap file, and as I don't have a static ISP address this is found from my Dynamic DNS Host Name.

                      It's been a somewhat recent update that allowed using Host names
                      instead of hardcoded IP addresses. Progress!

                      Bill,
                      WA7NWP
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

                        Ok, Bill.

                        I guess it is all academic anyway while no-ip still provides free DDNS. But the BPQ AXIP code needs one end to have a known address.

                        Yes, I thought when I tried to set up IPIP a few years ago I couldn't as I didn't have a static address. So as you say there is progress. And BPQ will have a RIP44 client and tunnel endpoint support as soon as I find the time to complete the code.

                        73, John

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014
                          > I guess it is all academic anyway while no-ip still provides free DDNS.

                          Yes...

                          > the BPQ AXIP code needs one end to have a known address.

                          Same with JNOS. Nice to have the requirement down to a DNS name
                          instead of two hard coded IP addresses.

                          > Yes, I thought when I tried to set up IPIP a few years ago I couldn't as I
                          > didn't have a static address.

                          Yes - somebody realized the names would resolve quickly they removed
                          the requirement that tunnel endpoints be hard coded IP addresses.

                          > And BPQ will
                          > have a RIP44 client and tunnel endpoint support as soon as I find the time
                          > to complete the code.

                          Excellent - looking forward to it.

                          Bill
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014
                            Just waiting for the dust to settle down,

                            Like John mentioned the 44. AMPR will not work, all the 44. TCP or UDP IP
                            address is doing is replacing ones call sign, as far as internet from one
                            node to the other/others it still needs the WAN address & path.

                            Some of us that pay for our web sites may have the option to have a DDNS, I
                            will have to look into mine.

                            I pay for the web site use yearly but all it is really doing is redirecting
                            any page other then the first back to my machine.

                            I wouldn't stop at NO-IP surly there must be some others free.

                            73

                            Mike N9PMO
                            BPQ32 Group Moderator
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014
                              i tried in my packet yers the 44,,,thing,it never worked correctly at all,,,,,,,,,,at least for me here.Some times you could connect,,an hour later it never worked,,,

                              i have been at no-ip site,i just found a place where i add to pay again for their ,,,,,,,free service i must have one eye close somewhere again,,:-))

                              GF
                              ve2ckn

                              To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

                                Dosen't this always seem to happen?
                                Well I was going to copy some text from the dyndns site I use but here's the URL

                                Http://afraid.org

                                They are a donation based site running on FreeBSD. I have my .info domain moved over to their servers...

                                They offer a lot of things but I figured I would suggest them as a free dyndns since this and other dyndns sites have turned into pay only sites...

                              • Harold Kinchelow
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014

                                  It's called business.  They did what they had to do to survive.

                                  Harold
                                  K7ILO

                                • oh5rm
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 7, 2014