RE: [BPQ32] XP

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 30 3:17 PM
      Don

      Jerry N9LYA is on every HF frequency used for Packet or Pactor

      Mike N9PMO
      BPQ32 Group Moderator
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31 2:09 PM

        --
        Don Poaps
        New Westminster, BC

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 31 2:19 PM

          My personal view is that provided you have a reasonable firewall and don't visit dodgy web sites there shouldn't be any problem with running XP without support. All my XP machines have died, but if I did have one I'd continue running it.

          Of course, I could be horribly wrong!

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 31 2:21 PM
            I will continue to use WinXP indefinitely, but will disconnect that computer from the internet.

            Ham software updates will be via a USB thumb drive, virus-tested on the Win7 machine that I use for internet access.

            I'll download any updates on the Win7 machine, put them on a thumb drive, do a virus-check, then use "sneaker net" to transport the thumb drive to the XP box.

            One advantage of using "pure RF" is that loss of internet access on the ham radio box - is no big loss.

            "Hams" who undermine our efforts to build a ham radio network with internet links are on their own. If those non-ham links are so important to them, why they can always buy a new computer, or put themselves through the Linux on an old box experience.

            73 DE Charles, N5PVL

            On 3/31/2014 4:09 PM, Don Poaps wrote:

            Greetings

            What the XP Sysop  with BPQ32 plan on doing. Will you continue using it with out updates and chances of malware showing. I know I can't afford Win 8 for 4 desktops and 3 laptops.

            Is there an easy way if getting Linux with executable that can setup your USB, TNC etc.

            If you think I spam the group a lot I would be worse with Linux

            Don va7dgp

          • Steve

                  Message 9 of 20 , Mar 31 3:45 PM

                    Don,
                    i will use XP as long as it works,
                    no updates
                    it always dependeds of WHAT YOU ARE DOING with the pc it is running,
                    if it stay alone and just doing APRS and BPQ for exemple ,,,,,no Internet,no video,,,what should happened?

                    i still have a Win98Se running for the last 3 years and NEVER had any problem,,

                    all they want is your $$

                    Gf

                    Linux as release a version call LinuxLite and the report are mo1 from Ex-Xp users

                    To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 11 of 20 , Mar 31 5:17 PM
                        Don:  I have already converted all my Windoz computers to Linux Mint.
                        Best thing I have ever done too!   Easy set up and did not have a steep
                        learning curve.  Beautiful part. it's free!  (Might want to donate to the
                        group tho).  Best logging program I have ever used is there for the
                        downloading too.  Try CQRLog.  Lots of features.

                        Good luck with Xp...
                        73 CLayton N4EV

                        To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 13 of 20 , Apr 1, 2014

                            Here are your choices

                            Do nothing. Keep using XP. No learning curve. No expense.

                            Upgrade to Linux. Yes there is a learning curve.

                            Upgrade to Win 8.x Yes there is an expense.

                            The choice is yours…

                            Jerry

                              Message 15 of 20 , Apr 2, 2014
                                I have an old XP computer sitting in the closet as a backup for the bbs should I ever need it.
                                I thought it a good idea to fire it up and bring the OS up to date with the latest updates before end of support.
                                So far it's been updating for the past hour doing 47 updates.
                                73
                                Dave
                                WB2HVF

                                On 4/1/2014 12:57 PM, Nick G4IRX wrote:

                                There was an article in this month's QST addressing some of the issues of what will happen for those that continue to use XP.

                                In the day job, I have several closed systems that run on XP. The suppliers have issued statements to the effect they will continue to support the systems for the life of the equipment and there are no issues providing they are not connected to any external (untrusted) networks.

                                73
                                Nick.

                              • Shawn Bush
                                Message 16 of 20 , Apr 2, 2014

                                  I had something to say about the continued XP usage. Browsers and other such clients are continued to be upgraded but I see no reason to leave XP for ham purposes.

                                  Linux seems more appealing than upgrading to Win8.1

                                  If you don't use IE or even disable it completely, use a firewall, and only use it for ham usage/also disable any remote desktop or SMB connections then you shouldn't have any issues.

                                  73's

                                  On Apr 2, 2014 7:49 AM, "Dave Webb" <druliefw@...> wrote:

[...]

                                • wa4zko
                                  Message 17 of 20 , Apr 2, 2014
                                    With the proliferation of zero-day watering hole and email attachment type attacks, just staying away from shady websites is not enough anymore. Below details how the vfw.org website was used to deliver 0-day code to unsuspecting visitors:

                                    http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-internet-explorer-10-zero-day-discovered-watering-hole-attack

                                    Infected "ad streams" on some normally safe web sites have frequently been used to deliver similar payloads to visitors. The bad guys are increasingly creative.

                                    By this summer I would venture to say that using XP to do any web surfing or handle email (the two most common attack vectors today) will quickly be increasingly risky after next week.

                                    Counting on any antivirus to protect against 0-day attacks is dicey at best....as many have learned the hard way recently. Bad guys have access to all the popular AV suites too.

                                    IMHO the only safe option for XP going forward?  Keep it behind a router and it's own firewall locked down along with no web surfing, no email on it, and no services directly exposed to the internet. Might be viable for a few dedicated use scenarios, but not many.

                                    I guess more advanced users could lock an XP box down with Microsoft EMET and run under a non-admin account with Firefox (w/ noscript) or Chrome and maybe get away with things for awhile. Problem is new hardware and software support for XP will start fading away soon - eg new printer may not come with XP drivers, browsers and their popular plugins may stop being available for XP etc, etc.

                                    FWIW - I have day job clients that are still running Windows 2000 in production environments without issue. Machines are dedicated use, on an isolated network, no user accessible floppy/USB/CD drives, non-admin user accounts, and most importantly....no internet access..they don't even have an IP stack running (use another network protocol).

                                    73
                                    Jeff
                                    WA4ZKO
                                  • Shawn Bush

                                      Message 19 of 20 , Apr 2, 2014
                                        Hello Group

                                        Regardless what operating system you are running including Window 8, there
                                        isn't
                                        A 100% guarantee your system will not receive some type of bug!

                                        How many of the BPQ32 Reflector group user can say they have kept up with MS
                                        updated 100% I know I can't, but I watch where I go what I download etc.

                                        I trust my A/V, Routers & software firewall.

                                        I would suggest taking a look at openDNS system and how the control panel
                                        works.

                                        I am sure many of you have seen a sudden increase of advertisements &
                                        special deals for all A/V systems all pointing to XP, I guess they forgot to
                                        add W2K, 98.

                                        I have two computers with W7 and 3 with XP and attend staying with XP, it is
                                        Good sales gimmick to drop support for XP, same pattern as 98, 2K.

                                        I myself have better and needier things to spend my money on by a company
                                        Trying their scare tactics on to upgrade to W7 & 8.

                                        Everyone I would just suggest to take a breath and rethink about most of the
                                        Comments.

                                        73

                                        Mike N9PMO
                                        BPQ32 Group Moderator