TNC used ?

  • Don Poaps
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
      Group good morning/Evening

      Since my BPQ 32 setup is having issues with my TNC. What TNC are being used for VHF / UHF packet work?
      I will go out and find that type that will work with out having a bad hair day in trying to get it to talk and receive packet.

      Have a good day/night

      Don va7dgp

      --
      Don Poaps
      New Westminster, BC

    • n5in_ron
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
        Anything with a KISS interface is supposed to work and likely will, however I am partial to the old MFJ 1270C's with John's JKISS eprom.  It always works.

        But these are getting as scarce as hen's teeth.  I have lots of them in the field for APRS, and I keep watching eBay, but sellers are getting practically new prices for them typically with the description...'it worked when I quit using it.'  Fortunately years ago I picked them up when every they showed up at hamfests.

        There are some new devices, but until I can actually do extended tests I am reluctant to recommend.

        One solution is using sound card with AGWPE as the driver.  There is a web site devoted to sound card packet, google it.

        Ron, AE5E
      • Bill Vodall
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
          > Since my BPQ 32 setup is having issues with my TNC. What TNC are being used for VHF / UHF packet work?
          > I will go out and find that type that will work with out having a bad hair day in trying to get it to talk and receive packet.

          For basic 1200 baud packet it's hard to beat a TNC-X.
          http://tnc-x.com/ That's always in KISS mode and it just sits and
          works.

          73
          Bill, WA7NWP
        • wu3v
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
            I would suggest a kpc3 or a KAM Some of the tnc2 units drift from age. All can suffer from lightning but usually can be repaired by replacing the serial chips. Paccom units are a good choice also.

            Jim Moore

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
              Right on Bill

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

              > Since my BPQ 32 setup is having issues with my TNC. What TNC are being used for VHF / UHF packet work?
              > I will go out and find that type that will work with out having a bad hair day in trying to get it to talk and receive packet.

              For basic 1200 baud packet it's hard to beat a TNC-X.
              http://tnc-x.com/ That's always in KISS mode and it just sits and
              works.

              73
              Bill, WA7NWP
            • kb1tce
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
                TNC-X. No issues in 2 years of constant use. I did find out early on that
                I needed to power it separately from the USB as I had a couple of other
                USB devices appended to the computer and the load was too much.

                Steve KB1TCE

                > Group good morning/Evening
                >
                > Since my BPQ 32 setup is having issues with my TNC. What TNC are being
                > used
                > for VHF / UHF packet work?
                > I will go out and find that type that will work with out having a bad hair
                > day in trying to get it to talk and receive packet.
                >
                > Have a good day/night
                >
                > Don va7dgp
                >

                > --
                > Don Poaps
                > New Westminster, BC
                > VA7DGP

              • Don Poaps
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
                  Ron & Group

                  I be trying to get my THD72a to work. It work for about two weeks then quick. I loaded up with Bill's AGW engine packet help.
                  My Winpack worked out side of BPQ with AGW as engine. Inside BPQ it would not work.

                  I'm wondering if there's a port or something being blocked that by the system that will not allow BPQ to tx and rx from the HT.

                  If I load up a terminal using same comport as what BPQ is using. It shows that BPQ has control of comport. The BPQuiutil program see's the port. No beaconing. If I got to terminal. C 3 ve7nv. There's no transmission of packet over radio,

                  That what driving me up the wall. It does not matter if the TNC is a pk232.  The only TNC that does work sort of is my SCS-PTC. It only works through the terminal as I found out, or script from BPQ.

                  This weekend I'll be adding my pk900 and taking the Kenwood out of the picture. I will use the AGW packet engine.

                  I still have some tweaking to do on the rms side. I copied the info from old set up to new old XP box. I have a little work to do. The main issue is why does BPQ not send a tx signal to TNC even though it shows in terminal..

                  Later

                  Don va7dgp

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
                    Thank You..

                    I guess I'll have it mailed to the stores USA mailbox in Blaine..

                    I'm just have such an issue in getting BPQ32 to tx and rx.

                    Thank You

                    Don va7dgp

                    --
                    Don Poaps
                    New Westminster, BC

                  • ve2hom Pascal

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014

                        Don

                                        Just about any TNC can be used if it is in operational condition and is supported. I have personally used KPC-3, KPC-3+,KPC-9612+, PK88, PK-96, MFJ-1278, TS-2000, D700 and PCT 2. On used TNCs always check the internal battery and replace if required.

                        73 Bill

                        N9ACQ

                      • Bill Vodall
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014

                          > Allmost of tnc must work but i think the best is a tnc2 clone with a kiss eprom. In my case I have MFJ-1270C, in the past I also have paccomm tiny-2

                          A tnc2 clone with a KISS eprom is very good - but I'd argue that the
                          best is a variant of that - the X1J node EPROM. The advantage of the
                          X1J is that it gives the KISS functionality as the others - but also
                          runs as a Node, Digipeater and even TCP/IP router all by itself. So
                          if the computer goes down the node resource persists.

                          Bill, WA7NWP
                        • Don Poaps
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
                            My Faithful Paccom tiny tracker 2 died.. It ran APRS for quite a few years. This past year the firmware chip fell apart. I was able to another chip from a doa Paccom. It ran for two days and packed it.

                            That's why I'm the Kenwood THD72 A as a TNC. I gave my Tiny Tracker 4 away before the Paccom died to physically challenged ham as his TNC died. Little did I know I'd been needing a kiss TNC.

                            When I get home this afternoon. I'm taking the Kenwood out of BPQ. I'll setup the pk900 in its place. I still can't figure out why. The TNC won't transmit or Receive..  They work out side of BPQ. But not in BPQ..

                            Later

                            Don va7dgp

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014

                              Bill

                                              You can run BPQ for node capability and have multiple TNC up and let BPQ no node work between all TNCs installed. Have them up and running. For standalone node you are correct.

                              73 Bill

                              N9ACQ

                            • Bill Vodall
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
                                > You can run BPQ for node capability and have multiple TNC up
                                > and let BPQ no node work between all TNCs installed. Have them up and
                                > running. For standalone node you are correct.

                                The node in BPQ works with the node in the TNC - best of both words...

                                Bill
                              • Ron Stordahl
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
                                  Bill

                                  I used to use Net/Rom X1J4 when I had stand alone nodes, but I was aware you could use the RS232 interface in Net/Rom mode to BPQ32 with a specific cable.  However the details now escape me.  But I don't recall anyway to make X1J4 talk via the RS232 interface in KISS mode?

                                  Details?

                                  Ron, AE5E

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
                                    > I used to use Net/Rom X1J4 when I had stand alone nodes, but I was aware you
                                    > could use the RS232 interface in Net/Rom mode to BPQ32 with a specific
                                    > cable. However the details now escape me. But I don't recall anyway to
                                    > make X1J4 talk via the RS232 interface in KISS mode?

                                    That made me use some long dormant braincells. Found the doc here:

                                    http://www.wattystuff.net/amateur/packet/x1jmode.htm

                                    Look at the Crosslink option - mode 2:

                                    ----

                                    5: Crosslink / KISS Min 0 Max 3 NEDA 0
                                    This parameter is used to set the communications protocol used on the
                                    crosslink (RS-232 or serial) port when pin 23(on a DB-25 or pin 9 on a
                                    DE-9 connector) is tied low. The valid values are 0, 1, 2 or 3

                                    Mode 0 enables standard crosslink protocol while Modes 1,2 and 3 use
                                    KISS instead of crosslink protocol.

                                    In mode 1, KISS simply replaces the crosslink protocol.

                                    In mode 2, packets received from the radio part, that are not intended
                                    for the node, are copied to the RS232 port in KISS mode. Similarly
                                    packets received on the RS232 port that are not intended for the node
                                    are sent to the radio port.

                                    Mode 2 is designed to allow a KISS application and a node to share a
                                    radio without interference with each other. The point is that the PC
                                    TCP/IP system can be switched off while leaving the node running to
                                    allow others to use it.
                                  • n9acq
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014

                                      Ron

                                                      Connecting a X1J4 node to a BPQ node would be redundant as now you have two nodes directly connected. What you may be thinking of it the Diode matrix for connecting multiple X1J4 nodes together. Once in X1J4 Kiss is no longer available as far as I know as the ROM, which provides KISS has been replaced. By using BOQ no modifications to TNC are required, making quick replacement with any available TNC when necessary.

                                      73 Bill

                                      N9ACQ

                                    • Mike Miller
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 21, 2014
                                        On 21 Mar 2014 at 9:25, wu3v@... wrote:

                                        > Paccom units are a good choice also.

                                        I have a Paccomm HandiePacket that has a quirk. If the receive
                                        audio is present when the TNC is powered on, it hangs. If the
                                        TNC is powered on before the radio it works fine. I don't know
                                        if that was fixed in a later firmware version.

                                        Mike kc9doa