Sending Beacons

  • vk2na
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 15, 2014
      I'm running BPQ on linux and have SCS PTC II pro and Tracker connected to HF and VHF packet.

      Does anyone know a workaround to get beacons broadcast?  Without them it is a zombie service.

      Cheers

      Dave.
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 15, 2014
        Dave,

        for the tracker I created a BBS user called APRS and set it up with a script..

        in the Tracker I used the built in APRS parameters ...

        the Tracker settings....
        %AM KE7XO-4
         %A 0;                                               beacon off
         %AB 2100;                                      beacon every 2100 seconds
         %AC BPQ Network (BPQNET);      beacon comment
         %AE 1;                                              status beacon after posit beacon
         %AI 0;                                               time stamp off, used with GPS receiver %AS 1;
         %AO 3610.90N 11509.27W
         %AP APBPQ1 WIDE1-1
         %AR BPQ Hybrid Network;            status comment
         %AY 34;                                             bbs

        the BBS settings for user APRS
        TIMES 1400-2359
        ATT 5
        %F 2000
        PAUSE 1
        %B 300
        RADIO 10.1473 USB 1
        PAUSE 1
        %A2
        PAUSE 20
        %A0
        PAUSE 1
        ATT 5
        %B R600
        PAUSE 1
        RADIO 10.1473 USB 1
        PAUSE 1
        %A2
        PAUSE 15
        %A0
        PAUSE 1
        RADIO 14.1033 LSB 1
        PAUSE 1
        %A2
        PAUSE 15
        %A0
        PAUSE 1
        %B R600

        I would imagine the same principle could be used to put the PTC into FEC mode...

        Richard

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 15, 2014
          Thanks Richard,

          I will have a play with that idea.  Is that script in the BBS Mail settings?

          Cheers,

          Dave
        • Richard

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 18, 2014
              Richard,

              Are you using the Tracker Multi or the SCSTracker.dll with your system?

              Dave
            • ke7xo
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 18, 2014

                Dave,

                I"m using the SCS Tracker DLL

                however, I'm switching between 300 baud Packet and Robust Packet to send beacons.

                Richard   ke7xo

              • vk2na
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 23, 2014
                  Okay... Mail FBB unproto beacons have started working.

                  Chuffed.

                • vk2na
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 24, 2014
                    I see FBB UI beacons works on the SCS Tracker port only.  I don't have the option to send UI beacons on the SCS PTC II pro port.

                    John or anyone, is there a way to make it work.  I want to use the PTC as a 300 baud or R600 packet port.   The SCS Port is not tickboxable in the http config page.

                    Cheers,

                    Dave
                  • vk2na
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 24, 2014
                      Regarding the UI beacons:

                      I have realised the tracker on my system will not function correctly unless I completely power down and reboot the tracker prior to starting LinBPQ.

                      Sorry to thump on about it but this was a bit of a eureka moment at my end :-)

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 24, 2014

                        Dave,

                        It cant be done with the present software. I’ll dig out my PTC manual and see how easily it could be done. I may need someone to help with the testing as I don’t own a PTC.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 24, 2014
                          I do. I sure wish I could use the SCS-PTC as a regular TNC.

                          Don va7dgp

                          --
                          Don Poaps
                          New Westminster, BC

                        • vk2na
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 27, 2014
                            John,

                            Is using the PTC TNC in kiss mode an option for the BPQ switch/software?

                            de Dave
                            VK2NA
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 27, 2014

                              Dave,

                              You can use the PTC in KISS mode, but that only supports packet operation, not Pactor, so is rather a waste of the capabilities of the PTC!

                              Is using the PTC TNC in kiss mode an option for the BPQ switch/software?

                              de Dave

                              VK2NA

                            • gm8bpq
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 30, 2014
                                I've added code to send beacons using the PTC. It seems to work OK on my simulator, but I can't test it properly as I don't have a PTC. In particular I don't know what it would do if the PTC was in Pactor mode when the beacon is sent.

                                Any feedback would be welcome.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 30, 2014
                                  When I get back from church. I'll download the file. My HF died so it's freed up my SCS-PTC 11ex. I'll put that on my UHF freq. I do not have my TNC X yet as it's in the mail.
                                  The SCS-PTC is the only working TNC.
                                  If I can get that to work. I'll be a happy camper

                                  Later

                                  Don

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 30, 2014
                                    I just need to get it into
                                    Kiss
                                    Pac
                                    %B 1200
                                    Restart..

                                    Don

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 30, 2014
                                        John, Dave and Group

                                        I have added the BPQ32.dll to the BPQ32 folder. I have also added the SCSpactor.dll info to BPQ32

                                        I guess I will need to wait till my other TNC arrives. I see it as Port 4 as a Pactor link. I'm wondering if I change it to

                                        PORT
                                         ID=Pactor Link
                                         TYPE=EXTERNAL  ?> KISS
                                         IOADDR=4;             COM Port Address (Note this is in hex, so for COM20 enter 14
                                         SPEED=19200;          COM Port Speed
                                         DLLNAME=SCSPactor.DLL
                                         INTERLOCK=2;           ; Optional - set if you have two ports sharing the same radio.
                                                                ; Set the same Interlock value on both ports.

                                         CONFIG                 ; Driver-Specific Configuration

                                         PSKA 140               ; PSK TX Output level.
                                         FSKA 100               ; TX Level for FSK modes.

                                         PACKETCHANNELS 10      ; Enable Packet Ports

                                         PAC TXD 1:250
                                         PAC TXD 2:200

                                        ENDPORT

                                        Don

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 31, 2014

                                          BPQ32.dll must be placed in \Windows\System on 32 bit Windows Systems and Windows\SysWOW64 on 64 bit versions of window. Having a copy in the BPQ Programs folder will cause problems.

                                          I don't understand why you are trying to run the PTC in KISS mode. The BPQ SCS Pactor driver is designed to run in host mode.

                                          73, John

                                          I see FBB UI beacons works on the SCS Tracker port only.  I don't have the option to send UI beacons on the SCS PTC II pro port.

                                          John or anyone, is there a way to make it work.  I want to use the PTC as a 300 baud or R600 packet port.   The SCS Port is not tickboxable in the http config page.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Dave

                                          Reply to sender

                                          --

                                          Don Poaps

                                          New Westminster , BC

                                          VA7DGP

                                          --

                                          Don Poaps

                                          New Westminster , BC

                                          VA7DGP

                                          --

                                          Don Poaps

                                          New Westminster , BC

                                          VA7DGP

                                          --

                                          Don Poaps

                                          New Westminster , BC

                                          VA7DGP

                                        • Don Poaps
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 31, 2014
                                             At this point, running it in Host Mode does serve the purpose. It's the only TNC I have at this point of time that is actually talking to a radio.
                                            I can't see just leaving a TNC sit linked to BPQ not be used. I just don't have the ready cash to pick up TNC if I could. There's none locally new unless a ham is willing to sell. This trucker strike at the ports have locked up supplies. The USA dollar is high so buying from the states cost more. So I use the SCS-PTC until I can get this BBS setup properly.

                                            Don va7dgp

                                            On Monday, March 31, 2014, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

[...]

                                            Reply to group Start a New Topic

                                            --
                                            Don Poaps
                                            New Westminster, BC

                                          • Charles Brabham
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 31, 2014
                                              I understand that only 8-bit digital modes will be supported on the
                                              BPQ32/FLDIGI interface, with some of the slower modes excluded.

                                              What I do not understand is which modes are 8-bit, and why slower modes
                                              that may work better under poor conditions are excluded.

                                              Is there a listing of the modes that will work with this interface?

                                              Here in West Texas, there are long stretches of desert that out VHF
                                              network must strive to bridge... I am wondering if one of the new modes
                                              might be superior to Packet for bridging these distances on VHF.

                                              Getting through reliably with accuracy under these conditions is job #1,
                                              speed is a secondary consideration but still important.

                                              73 DE Charles, N5PVL
                                            • Dave Webb
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 31, 2014
                                                I have to give up on FLDIGI.
                                                Running the BPQ BBS with Pactor, VHF, Telnet, AXIP and Winmor, adding
                                                FLDIGI just proved to be too much for my tired old computer. Winmor
                                                transmit signals degraded once I added the FLDIGI with kiss modes.
                                                Removing the FLDIGI port restored Winmor back to normal connections.
                                                FLDIGI worked fine but degraded the Winmor port.
                                                73
                                                Dave
                                                AFA2HV/WB2HVF
                                                Sysop AFC2MC

                                                ---
                                              • Robert Stiles
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 31, 2014
                                                  Charles,
                                                  If you wish to know what modems are 8 bit you can look in the FLAMP modem selector. The slowest mode currently available is Olivia 8/500. That should cover most bases when under weak propagation conditions.  The next beta release will allow all BPSK modems.

                                                  Here is the List of currently supported modems until the next beta release.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 31, 2014
                                                    Charles, this is the list of currently supported 8bit modems. Sorry about the last incomplete message, when I cut and pasted the list the web page crashed.

                                                    The slowest modem where removed from the list and marked as impracticable because of the protocol overhead.

                                                    One of the most reliable modem has been available, Olivia 16/500.  Just in case the propagation conditions warranted it's use.

                                                    DOMX22,     DOMX44,     DOMX88,

                                                    MFSK32,     MFSK64,     MFSK128,    MFSK64L,   MFSK128L,

                                                    MT63-500S,  MT63-500L,  MT63-1KS,   MT63-1KL,  MT63-2KS, MT63-2KL,

                                                    BPSK125,    BPSK250,    BPSK500,    BPSK1000

                                                    QPSK125,    QPSK250,    QPSK500,

                                                    PSK125R,    PSK250R,    PSK500R,    PSK1000R,

                                                    Olivia-4-500,  Olivia-8-500, Olivia-16-500, Olivia-8-1K,
                                                    Olivia-16-1K,  Olivia-32-1K, Olivia-64-2K,

                                                    THOR25x4,   THOR50x1,   THOR50x2,   THOR100,

                                                    PSK63RC4,   PSK63RC5,   PSK63RC10,  PSK63RC20, PSK63RC32,
                                                    PSK125RC4,  PSK125RC5,  PSK125RC10, PSK125C12, PSK125RC12,
                                                    PSK125RC16, PSK250C6,   PSK250RC2,  PSK250RC3, PSK250RC5,
                                                    PSK250RC6,  PSK250RC7,  PSK500C2,   PSK500C4,  PSK500RC2,
                                                    PSK500RC3,  PSK500RC4,  PSK800C2,   PSK800RC2, PSK1000C2,
                                                    PSK1000RC2

                                                    On the next beta release all BPSK modems will be available.

                                                    Nothing in the rule book says you can't use SSB on VHF.  Better use of available output power, especially if you are using a narrow band modem.  Unless you don't have a rig that supports SSB on VHF. Then your only other options are repeaters, antenna height, directed elements, linear amp, or all of the above.  I personal do not have a clue which modem might work better on FM. Perhaps the NBEMS operators can answer that question.  I've only used AFSK/FSK as a digital mode on the VHF/UHF bands.  Hopefully that will change soon with the eventual release of FLDIGI w/KISS. Maybe we can move away from AFSK and use BPSK or higher constellation count versions of PSK when they become available.

                                                    Robert,
                                                    KK5VD

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 1 1:38 AM

                                                      Dave,

                                                      I guess I could close FLDIGI while a WINMOR session is in progress and restart it afterwards. WINMOR receive processing is disabled when another mode is active, but I don't think I can do that with FLDIGI.

                                                      Did you have any problems with receiving when both were running, or was it just TX?

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 1 6:22 AM

                                                        I didn't see any problem receiving signals on either the Winmor modem or fldigi modem. Only when transmitting Winmor.

                                                        Come to think of it, I did not have any successful RX decodes with any of the PSK modes with fldigi. We did most of our testing with MFSK.

                                                        I have found that I needed to start fldigi before BPQ32 or the two programs would not talk to each other, so I'm not so sure disabling fldigi when transmitting a Winmor signal would work.

                                                        The computer I am using for the BBS is over 10 years old so, I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble unless users with more up to date computers also notice these problems.

                                                        73
                                                        Dave

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 1 7:42 AM

                                                          Ok Dave,

                                                          I believe there isn't a problem with two soundcard programs receiving at the same time, so long as they use the same sampling rate and you have enough processor power. If the sampling rates are different Windows resamples one of them, which can make a mess of complex signals.

                                                          Transmitting is generally OK, so long as both don't send at the same time and you don't run out of CPU.

                                                          I think with the latest code you can start bpq and fldigi in either order, so killing and restarting remains an option.

                                                          73, John