Re: OCX Registration procedure problem with W98SE

  • Tony Hunt
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
      Ron .. Ive had a play with the OCX registrations on another W98SE machine ..
      Same issues..
      The batch files dont work.. You can not run REGSVR32.EXE from a dos window.
      It refuses to
      run the file comming back with "bad command or filename" .. REGSVR32.EXE is
      a hidden file in 98
      living in WINDOWS\SYSTEM .. Ive tried running the batch files from the
      windows\system folder as
      well.. You just cant run REGSVR32 from DOS.

      I dont use BPQaxip at all .

      This is what works. Other similar combinations may work also.

      config a bpqcfg.bin file the usual way.

      Copied the following to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder BPQCFG.BIN , BPQ32.DLL ,
      VB40032.DLL , BPQCtrl.ocx ,
      cswsk32.ocx

      Now use the Start Menu> Run option to run the REGSVR32 by running

      regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx /u
      then
      regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx
      then
      regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx /u
      then
      regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx

      I also found that using the brouse option to find the regsvr32.exe file on
      the RUN command line
      would create the full path of C:\Windows\system\regsvr32.exe and this was
      preferable as at times it seemed
      not to be able to find regsvr32.exe which probably depends on the Path
      setting. If Windows explorer was still
      open at the Windows\system folder then I didnt need the full path to run
      regsvr32.exe . Never seen this before
      but it seemed to hold true consistantly.

      I am not sure about the VB40032.DLL file but it was part of the hit and miss
      procedure I followed..

      The REGSVR appears to run the switch up when deregistering/registering the
      BPQCtrl.ocx and so it needed
      the Bin file and access to the BPQ32.DLL .

      Pretty messy procedure in all.. Maybee it helps you understand what is
      really going on and therefore you can
      streamline it a bit further.

      You asked what programe I was using that was running the OCX interface. I
      was thinking Ui-View32 was under
      this banner. Perhaps not..

      Can you explain what is going on in the AGWtoBPQ interface with the
      "Listening sessions" and "Application masks" settings.
      I can not make much sense of this as yet but Ive done very limited testing
      with Connected frames.

      Tony VK5AH

      > From: "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@...>
      > Subject: OCX Registration procedure problem with W98SE
      >
      > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Hunt" <wavetel@i...> wrote:
      > ..
      > ..
      > I could not work out what was going on with the AGWtoBPQ.exe .. Not
      > much info on that that I could find.. It complained about the ocx not
      > being registered. I found the BAT files for that but they wont work
      > on WIN 98SE .. I copied the 2x OCX files to the WINDOWS/SYSTEM
      > folder with the batch files but still refused to run.. So I used the
      > RUN option from the windows start menu and typed the regsvr32
      > commands in manually from there. After a while it appears to have
      > registered the OCX files ok.. All good .. Maybee thats old ground but
      > I found it took a while to figure out.
      > ..
      > ..
      > Tony Hunt VK5AH
      >
      > Tony
      >
      > I have only tested BPQ32 on W2K and WXP and the registration batch
      > files work fine when executed from c:\Program Files\BPQ32\. It's
      > news to me that W95/W98/WME would require a different procedure.
      > Here are the batch files:
      >
      > RegSvrBpqOcx.bat:
      > regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx /u
      > regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx
      >
      > Regcswsk32.bat:
      > regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx /u
      > regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx
      >
      > What's needed is a single procedure that works on platforms from W95
      > thru WXP, I hope that someone on this forum has the answer and will
      > share it. Lacking that Ill try to find one of the old boxes this
      > weekend and do some searching for an answer.
      >
      > Ron, N5IN

    • Tony Hunt
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
        John . Ive forwarded direct to you a zipped copy of Digi_ned for Win. This
        one is Beta only at this stage but Henk is
        happy for you to mess with this .. Let me know if you have problems getting
        this and I will put it up on a web site and send you a URL if that helps.
        Its just over 1 Meg

        As I said its failing the callsign registration process. Its more likely
        that its the return response thats the problem.

        Just on this subject
        > AGWtoBPQ does process the 'X' command, but as BPQ32 has it's callsigns
        > predefined, it does nothing with the suppled call. So the callsign being
        > registered should be the BPQ Nodecall.

        I remember a while back working with Ted G8NPF on Sally and BPQ32 .
        He did some tricks with the RAW command (going from memory) to send unproto
        frames out with a callsign which was
        different to the Node Call. I dont understand the RAW command but I get the
        impression you can
        construct frames from the ground up with paths and callsigns etc. Perhaps
        this is an answer to being
        able to Register a callsign which does not match the NodeCall and send
        frames out with it ?

        Happy sailing John

        Tony VK5AH

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
          Tony

          Your findings regarding REGSVR32.EXE in W98SE are very helpful. I was
          not able to find a W98SE machine, but I did find a WME machine, and was
          able to duplicate your findings. I have also been searching on
          Microsofts site and so far have not come across anything that would
          indicate that REGSVR32.EXE cannot be involked from a batch file. I
          would have expected this would have been mentioned somewhere, as it
          appears to be the case. So I am still researching this matter and if
          nothing else will have to come up with instructions on how to do this
          procedure 'by hand' on W95/W98/WME machines. Of course if someone can
          find where Microsoft explains this it would be nice!

          As to 'Listening Sesions' and 'Application Mask' in AGWtoBPQ.exe here is
          a summary:

          Application Mask is a bit mask applicable to the parm APPLICATIONS= in
          bpqcfg.txt. The only non zero value currently functional is 1, which
          corresponds to the first positional parm in APPLICATIONS=, which
          corresponds to the 'BBS' user application (and the call BBSCALL=). An
          example would be AR-Cluster, wherein the first positional parm would
          sensibly be 'DX'. That is what you will find in the provided bpqcfg.txt
          file. Values higher than 1 will require further enhancements to BPQ32
          (you would need a BBSCALL1 a BBSCALL2). A nice enhancement for the
          future, but for now defaulting this to 1 seems reasonable to me.

          Listening Sessions is the maximum number of incoming connections. The
          total number available is as I recall 63, however some are needed for
          outgoing connections and apparently a couple for internal use (I don't
          know the details on that). So I should probably have recommended a
          larger number than 10, such as 32 (which I am pulling out of the air).
          I think Ill change my set up to a higher number tomorrow.

          Don't think Ill get much done on the REGSVR32 issue this weekend.....

          Ron, N5IN