BPQ and Dstar Slow Data

  • Marco Di Martino (IW2OHX)
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014
      Hi John and all,

      I wonder if there's a plan to integrate between BPQ and the Dstar Slow
      Data stream
      I'm, in particular, interested in the Winlink2000's message exchange.
      I know that D-Rats has this kind of capability.

      Thanks,
      Marco
      iw2ohx
    • Andre
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014
        op 13-03-14 14:50, Marco Di Martino (IW2OHX) schreef:
        > Hi John and all,
        >
        > I wonder if there's a plan to integrate between BPQ and the Dstar Slow
        > Data stream
        > I'm, in particular, interested in the Winlink2000's message exchange.
        > I know that D-Rats has this kind of capability.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Marco
        > iw2ohx

        Wasn't there an option in d-rats to bridge between d-star and kiss?
        That would give an option to hook into bpq already.

        73 de Andre PE1RDW
      • Bill Vodall
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014

          This was discussed here (somewhere?) a little while ago.  DRats now has an AGWPE interface and BPQ has a tool to present an AGWPE service connection so the two should talk.   Check the email archives.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014
            Hi Andre,

            I'm referring to a most deeply integration.
            I'm talking about the ability for BPQ to connect to the serial port
            where the D-Star RTX is connected.

            D-Rats supports for the KISS protocol, but it's a client software and it
            doesn't have specific routing abilities. It can't route traffic between
            the D-Star port and the KISS port.
            Unfortunately, the "Rat Flector" doesn't support the KISS protocol so
            far.
            "Rat Flector" only supports TNC emulation by transmitting raw data (it
            means: no way to use it).

            Marco

            Il 2014-03-13 14:54 Andre ha scritto:
            > op 13-03-14 14:50, Marco Di Martino (IW2OHX) schreef:
            > > Hi John and all,
            > >
            > > I wonder if there's a plan to integrate between BPQ and the Dstar
            > Slow
            > > Data stream
            > > I'm, in particular, interested in the Winlink2000's message
            > exchange.
            > > I know that D-Rats has this kind of capability.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Marco
            > > iw2ohx
            > >

            > Wasn't there an option in d-rats to bridge between d-star and kiss?
            > That would give an option to hook into bpq already.
            >
            > 73 de Andre PE1RDW

            > Reply to sender
            > Reply to group
            > Start a New Topic [2]
            > Messages in this topic [3] (2)
            >
            > Visit Your Group [4]
            >
            > * New Members [5] 3
            >
            > [6]
            > * Privacy [7] * Unsubscribe * Terms of Use [8]
            >
            > .

          • Andre
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014
              op 13-03-14 15:05, Marco Di Martino (IW2OHX) schreef:
              > Hi Andre,
              >
              > I'm referring to a most deeply integration.
              > I'm talking about the ability for BPQ to connect to the serial port
              > where the D-Star RTX is connected.
              >
              > D-Rats supports for the KISS protocol, but it's a client software and it
              > doesn't have specific routing abilities. It can't route traffic between
              > the D-Star port and the KISS port.
              > Unfortunately, the "Rat Flector" doesn't support the KISS protocol so
              > far.
              > "Rat Flector" only supports TNC emulation by transmitting raw data (it
              > means: no way to use it).
              >
              > Marco

              If you are only interested in mail then maybe you can utilise the
              message forwarding feature by using BPQ as the email server for d-rats,
              at least as a interim solution.

              Direct support for d-star transievers would depend on John having access
              to indepth documentation and time to implement it and preferably access
              to a d-star transiever to test as wel as enough demand for it.

              73 de Andre PE1RDW
            • Matthew Pitts
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014
                I'm not the only person that sees the potential here? Nice to see someone else asking this, even if it's not the first time it's come up.

                Matthew Pitts
                N8OHU

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014

                  I’ve only just started looking at DSTAR, having recently bought an IC7100. I’ve have a brief look at the Slow Data. It is slow (as it’s name suggests) and isn’t error corrected, but I main problem with it is  I don’t see what it could be used for in practice. I must be missing something – perhaps someone could enlighten me!

                  By the way, I’ve designed a DV Modem board, which can also be configured as a 9600 Baud Packet TNC. It is primarily for use with a Raspberry PI (it looks similar to the TNC-PI), but also has a header for a USB to serial converter, so can be used with other systems. The hardware seems to be working and the microcode is coming along, though a bit slower than I’d like.

                  I'm not the only person that sees the potential here? Nice to see someone else asking this, even if it's not the first time it's come up.

                  Matthew Pitts
                  N8OHU

                  I'm referring to a most deeply integration.
                  I'm talking about the ability for BPQ to connect to the serial port
                  where the D-Star RTX is connected.

                  D-Rats supports for the KISS protocol, but it's a client software and it
                  doesn't have specific routing abilities. It can't route traffic between
                  the D-Star port and the KISS port.
                  Unfortunately, the "Rat Flector" doesn't support the KISS protocol so
                  far.
                  "Rat Flector" only supports TNC emulation by transmitting raw data (it
                  means: no way to use it).

                  Marco

                  Il 2014-03-13 14:54 Andre ha scritto:

                  > op 13-03-14 14:50, Marco Di Martino (IW2OHX) schreef:
                  > > Hi John and all,
                  > >
                  > > I wonder if there's a plan to integrate between BPQ and the Dstar
                  > Slow
                  > > Data stream
                  > > I'm, in particular, interested in the Winlink2000's message
                  > exchange.
                  > > I know that D-Rats has this kind of capability.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Marco
                  > > iw2ohx
                  > >

                  > Wasn't there an option in d-rats to bridge between d-star and kiss?
                  > That would give an option to hook into bpq already.
                  >
                  > 73 de Andre PE1RDW

                  > Reply to sender
                  > Reply to group
                  > Start a New Topic [2]
                  > Messages in this topic [3] (2)
                  >
                  > Visit Your Group [4]
                  >
                  > * New Members [5] 3
                  >
                  > [6]
                  > * Privacy [7] * Unsubscribe * Terms of Use [8]
                  >
                  > .

                • Bill Vodall
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014
                    > I've only just started looking at DSTAR, having recently bought an IC7100. I've have a brief look at the Slow Data. It is slow (as it's name suggests) and isn't error corrected, but I main problem with it is I don't see what it could be used for in practice. I must be missing something - perhaps someone could enlighten me!

                    D-Rats is the client for Slow data.. It's useful - I used it once
                    (over an Internet connection at the Microhams conference) - to
                    transfer a JNOS executable to the ham sitting next to me. :) It
                    took a while but it worked fine.

                    The Slow Data is roughly 1/4 of the 4800 bits available in DStar
                    digital voice. Someday somebody will realize it's useful to us and
                    make the tiny tweak to the system so we can use the full 4800 bits.
                    With soundcard modems now surpassing that speed it may all be
                    unnecessary.

                    Bill, WA7NWP

                    > By the way, I've designed a DV Modem board, which can also be configured as a 9600 Baud Packet TNC. It is primarily for use with a Raspberry PI (it looks similar to the TNC-PI), but also has a header for a USB to serial converter, so can be used with other systems. The hardware seems to be working and the microcode is coming along, though a bit slower than I'd like.

                    > ________________________________

                  • Marco Di Martino (IW2OHX)
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014
                      Hi John,

                      in my region some OM are using the slow data portion for chatting (like
                      our BPQ chat), D-PRS (with the Gating to the APRS-IS network), traffic
                      messages (Winlink or emergency mails).

                      Of course, you can also transfer some light files.

                      I think there are some interesting application in the field.

                      You're right. It isn't error corrected... for D-PRS messages there's a
                      calculation of a hash for assuring that the package is not corrupted.

                      Marco

                      ---
                      Marco Di Martino
                      Via Attimo, 18 - Bollate (MI)
                      Mobile: +393285373364
                      e-mail: iw2ohx@...
                      -
                      Amateur Radio: I W 2 O H X
                      Homepage Inet: www.iw2ohx.net
                      Homepage Ampr: iw2ohx.ampr.org
                      LinuxNode: telnet://iw2ohx.ampr.org/
                      (X)net: telnet://iw2ohx-2.ampr.org/
                      Packet Mail : IW2OHX @ IW2OHX.ILOM.ITA.EU
                      Ampr Mail: iw2ohx@...
                      ---
                    • Matthew Pitts
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 14, 2014
                        John,

                        What microcontroller are you using on that board? It does sound interesting. I assume you're going to have the same i2c capabilities for it as you developed for the TNC-Pi.

                        Matthew Pitts
                        N8OHU

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 15, 2014

                          Matthew,

                          I’m using a PIC 16F1847 and an FX589 modem. The board has the same i2c system as the TNC-PI, which will be usable for the 9600 packet modem.  It would need extra code on the PI to use it in DSTAR mode, either as a separate module similar to i2ckiss, or added to Jonathan G4KLX’s D-STAR Repeater package.

                          73, John

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 15, 2014
                            > I'm using a PIC 16F1847 and an FX589 modem. The board has the same i2c system as the TNC-PI, which will be usable for the 9600 packet modem.

                            What's the radio? That's the harder part for 9600 packet. A
                            prefab cable that goes to the 6 (?) pin mini-din on the data-ready
                            radios would be one possible option.

                            Bill
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 15, 2014

                              Bill,

                              It isn’t ready to connect to a radio yet, but I have a few to test with when the time comes – an FT7900, IC7000, IC7100, all of which have the 6 pin mini-din connector, and couple of old Kantronics DVR 2-2 data radios. I’ve used the latter with Jonathan’s Sound Card repeater as a DSTAR access point, as well as for 9600 packet with Kantronics Data Engines.

                              The current design has a 6 pin mini-DIN connector, and ready made 6 pin to 6 pin cables are readily available.

                              73, John

                              > I'm using a PIC 16F1847 and an FX589 modem. The board has the same i2c system as the TNC-PI, which will be usable for the 9600 packet modem.

                              What's the radio? That's the harder part for 9600 packet. A
                              prefab cable that goes to the 6 (?) pin mini-din on the data-ready
                              radios would be one possible option.

                              Bill

                            • ae5me
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 23, 2014

                                Marco and others with interest in low-speed data channel of D-star:

                                You can use the port forwarding feature of the D-rats software to carry the traffic to a particular port.  For example, if your BPQ system has a telnet port of 8011, all you need to do is set up your "remote" D-rats client to send port 8011 TCP traffic over the radio to a "local" machine (by callsign).  On the "local" machine, you tell it to take 8011 port requests and route them to the appropriate IP address of your BPQ32 system on port 8011.  Open telnet on the "remote" machine and you'll be connected to the BPQ32.  Since it is a telnet connection, it will ask for username and password for validation purposes.

                                This works today and we've demonstrated it several times to our local group here in Tulsa, OK.

                                Best Regards,

                                Jeff Scoville AE5ME

                              • ae5me
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 23, 2014

                                  Bill,

                                  While the throughput is roughly equivalent between 1200 bps packet and the "low speed" data channel available on D-star 4800 bps, the down side to using D-star for data in that manner is that it ties up a voice channel in the process.  If you're on a  repeater, stations won't be able to speak while the "data only" traffic is being carried.  Vice-versa, the data side will have to wait (sometimes minutes for long winded QSOs) for the voice traffic to pass.

                                  I have begun have doubts that D-star low-speed data will ever have widespread adoption due to this limitation.  You are basically blocking up 3600 bps voice with 1200 bps data.  Which would probably cause you to go back to 1200 bps packet.

                                  Of course, you could always use the high speed channel available on the 1.2 Ghz radios and eliminate the issue completely!

                                  Since the D-rats software already has a way to carry TCP traffic built into it, I would think any access to a BPQ32 mail BBS could be handled fairly effectively in that manner.  Don't see a real need to go beyond those basics given the issues I've raised above.

                                  --Jeff Scoville AE5ME