Segmentation Fault

  • K7ILO
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 11, 2014

      Hey John, others.

      I am running linbpq under a watered down version of the latest debian and noticed when configuring the bbs, it stopped running and after logging into the Linux box, noticed I had a segmentation fault.

      John, this also happened periodically on the ppc mac version but just didn’t get a change to say anything to ya.

      I am running the latest version of both macbpq and linbpq.

      Any thoughts John, anybody?

      Thanks

      Harold

      K7ILO

    • dave.e.morris
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 12, 2014
        I always have this segmentation (SIGINT) fault when I intentionally close linbpq chat or linbpq mail down. I would like to know too.
        I am assuming that segmentation and SIGINT are the same ?

        Virus Checked before sending

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 12, 2014

          Harold,

          Is the Seg fault reported to syslog? If so, you you sent it to me?

          Thanks,

          John

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 12, 2014

            Dave,

            SIGINT is the response to typing CTRL/C, and is normal. Seg faults are SYSSEGV, and are caused by program errors.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 12, 2014

                Syslog is created by linux. Usually /var/log/syslog.

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 12, 2014

                  Ok John.  I will look at it when I get in tis afternoon or will meet you in chat while I'm mobile.

                  Thanks
                  Harold
                  K7ILO

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 12, 2014
                    Thanks for the clarification John - another piece of information in the jigsaw !

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 12, 2014

                      Hey John.

                      This is the error in syslog.  I was looking at my users of the bbs via the web interface when it crashed….

                      Mar 12 18:10:27 bpq kernel: [468607.250214] linbpq[4160]: segfault at ba4c ip b76442f4 sp b75bb25c error 4 in libc-2.13.so[b7600000+15d000]

                      Hope you can make sense of it.  LOL

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 12, 2014

                        Also John.

                        I noticed in my users section that the names are in the Password field and there is (Null) in the Name field if this has anything to do with it.

                        Harold

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 13, 2014

                          Harold,

                          Make sure you have the latest HTML files. Most crashes the happen during web access are due to a mismatch between the code and the html files.

                          https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/HTMLPages.zip

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 13, 2014

                            Ok John.  Just downloaded them.

                            Ill let you know later on this afternoon.

                            Thanks John

                            Harold

                            K7ILO

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 13, 2014

                              Ok John.  Im still getting a segmentation fault with the new HTML files while configuring the bbs.

                              Here is the error….

                              Mar 13 17:48:47 bpq kernel: [553706.984861] linbpq[4619]: segfault at 42d6 ip b75f92f4 sp b3bb352c error 4 in libc-2.13.so[b75b5000+15d000]

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 14, 2014

                                Hi Harold.

                                Bad timing! I’ve just updated the pages to match the latest code. Try updating LinBPQ as well. The new code should check the version of HTML files it is using, so if you still get crashes after that, something else is wrong.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 15, 2014

                                  Hey John.  I am still running everything through its paces but I think my segmentation fault issue was with the machine I was running it on.  Maybe the type of cpu it has.  I am using a different machine with a puppy linux distro and so far I haven’t had any issues.

                                  I will let you know if I do.

                                  Thanks

                                  Harold

                                  K7ILO

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 15, 2014

                                    Ok John

                                    I was able to make it all the way through setting up my bbs parameters, forwarding, users and all without any hickups.

                                    I really think it was the machine I had my debian distro installed on.

                                    Now for the Mac, I don’t know so Ill have to experiment with that one but I am up and running with linbpq just fine.

                                    Thanks again John

                                    Harold

                                    K7ILO

                                    Las Vegas, NV.

                                    Make sure you have the latest HTML files. Most crashes the happen during web access are due to a mismatch between the code and the html files.

                                    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/HTMLPages.zip

                                    Syslog is created by linux. Usually /var/log/syslog.

                                    I am running linbpq under a watered down version of the latest debian and noticed when configuring the bbs, it stopped running and after logging into the Linux box, noticed I had a segmentation fault.

                                    John, this also happened periodically on the ppc mac version but just didn’t get a change to say anything to ya.

                                    I am running the latest version of both macbpq and linbpq.

                                    Any thoughts John, anybody?

                                    Thanks

                                    Harold

                                    K7ILO

                                  • Marco Di Martino (IW2OHX)
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 16, 2014
                                      Hi John and all,

                                      I've managed to solve my segmentation fault when I was trying to editing users in the Mail application.

                                      The problem was in the HTML Pages.
                                      Marco
                                      iw2ohx

                                      On 16/03/2014 01:24, K7ILO wrote:

                                      Ok John

                                      I was able to make it all the way through setting up my bbs parameters, forwarding, users and all without any hickups.

                                      I really think it was the machine I had my debian distro installed on.

                                      Now for the Mac, I don’t know so Ill have to experiment with that one but I am up and running with linbpq just fine.

                                      Thanks again John

                                      < span style="font-size:11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">

                                      Harold

                                      K7ILO

                                      Las Vegas, NV.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 16, 2014

                                        Thanks, Marco.

                                        A lot of people have had problems with a mismatch between the code and the HTML files. The latest versions of linbpq and pilinbpq now check the version of each page, and should send an error message instead of crashing if it is wrong.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 16, 2014

                                          Hey John.  Not sure if you saw my message but my issue seem to have been related to the distro I was using.

                                          I had an immediate segmentation fault when using the new code and HTML files which led me to believe it was my linux distro I was using.

                                          I installed puppy linux and all has been running well since.

                                          Thanks John

                                          Harold

                                          K7ILO

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 16, 2014

                                            Thanks, Harold.

                                            What distro where you using?

                                            John

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 16, 2014

                                              It was an irlp debian distro.  The latest of debian.  Irlp wasn't installed though.  I was using it for its smaller footprint.

                                              Harold

                                              On Mar 16, 2014 1:52 PM, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

                                              Thanks, Harold.

                                              What distro where you using?