RE: [BPQ32] New BPQ32 node sysops please note...

  • Eric Carling
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008

      With RF links, a node broadcast is received by an area node and usually a route forms between the two nodes as seen in the routes tables. Even if there has not been any sysop intervention it is quite possible that a working route results. Internet linking is not quite so simple because it does require sysop action on both sides.

      Internet linking of nodes is done by axudp or axip. These protocols take a standard AX25 packet and wrap it into an internet packet and send it to another system somewhere in the world where that system unwraps the ax25 packet.

      The route or destination hostname/ip and port are defined in bpqaxip.cfg but the important thing here is that the link is reciprocated. In other words the destination sysop must have your hostname/ip and port in his bpqaxip.cfg file otherwise the link is one way only. In this case, when your node broadcasts, the node table is sent along the route to the destination node and inducts those nodes into his table but any connects by that node’s users will fail because a return path has not been defined.

      So, in my case, I have had 3 instances recently of this happening. The worst case being a Belgian sysop who found my hostname and axudp receiving port and wrote it into his bpqaxip.cfg file. This meant that over 30 nodes in my node table were theoretically reachable via his node but in reality there wasn’t an actual path to them because I had not been consulted and had not defined a path to him using his hostname/ip and port in my configuration. The route was one way only.

      The bottom line is when seeking to set up routes using axudp or axip, ask the intended destination node sysop first and share information about each other’s hostname/ip and receiving port and both of you configure the bpqaxip.cfg file accordingly.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008

        Mike

        If one is setting up BPQ32 using one of the two Example\Large Files BPQaxip.cfg files in the BPQ Folder

        Both files have entries similar to the following:

        MHEARD                               ;Opens AXIP MHEARD window

        UDP 10093                           ;Listens for UDP packets on this UDP port number

        MAP N9PMO-2 n9pmo.dyndns.org UDP 10093            ; Internet path to this node

        MAP NODES n9pmo.dyndns.org UDP 10093               ; Node Broadcasts to this address and UDP port

        MAP W9BBS w9bbs.no-ip.org UDP 10093                    ; Internet path to this node

        MAP NODES w9bbs.no-ip.org UDP 10093                    ; Node Broadcasts to this address and UDP port

        Theses are not remarked out, if one adds the above that system will send node broadcast and Node ID to

        As an example to N9PMO-2 and W9BBS.

        Mike Melnik N9PMO

        Ok...For the newbie in me, what does this all mean? I just not understanding this...

         73

         Mike - N7ZEF

        I will put something about this in the installation doc.  Also another good place for it would be as commentary in the bpqaxip.cfg file.  It's the presence there that results in unwanted nodes broadcasts being received.

        Ron, N5IN

        I think one has to understand that many that have installed BPQ32 are not aware an agreement should

        First be setup between sysops and node broadcast on the axip network, there isnʼt anything in writing

        About a plan, using the Example for the BPQAXIP.CFG it would be normal for most not familiar with

        A needed agreement between sysops, just uncomment the IP and DNS Addressʼs and are happy

        Just to have BPQ work for the first time.

        Maybe Ron N5IN in the future can add to the setup instructions (if they are read) about such agreement.

        Mike Melnik N9PMO

        Lately I have been plagued by European BPQ32 node sysops initiating links to my node unilaterally.

        Sysops please note: axudp links are by agreement of the sysop at both ends of the route and the link does not work if it is only one way. The problem isnʼt just one of common courtesy but of a real issue of having a number of nodes inducted into the node table that are unreachable.

        I am not against new BPQ nodes, the more the better in fact, but please liaise with your intended partner node sysop before making a link.

        Eric G0CGL.

      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
          I will think this over and I will change things in the next installer to deal with this problem.

          Ron, N5IN