Dx Spider and WinFBB and BPQ

  • ve7cc
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2006
      Lane VE7IHL got the WinFBB and BPQ to work using BPQ32.exe.

      Now he has given the computer to me. I am trying to add Dx Spider so
      users can connect to the Spider cluster using the same TNCs that the
      WinFBB users are using.

      I started AGWtoBPQ.exe. Then I start WinFBB. All is ok. WinFBB
      runs ok and is able to connect and pass mail via the TNC ports.

      In another computer I am running Spider. It has been working fine
      with AGWPE and its TNCs. Now I want to switch and use the TNCs
      connected to the BPQ computer. When I get this working I will move
      all the TNCs over to the BPQ computer.

      I now have Spider connect to the BPQ computer at port 8000. Spider
      seems to have no problems with this. It tells me "AGW register VE7CC-
      2 successful."

      Then I try to connect via RF to VE7CC-2 on one of the BPQ's TNC's
      frequencies. VE7CC-2 is the Spider's callsign. It does not
      connect. Using BPQTerminal.exe I can see the connect attempts, which
      are ignored. So what's the problem?

      Lee
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2006
        Hi Lee,

        BPQ32 only supports direct connects to one application, the first in the
        APPLICATIONS string in BPQCFG.TXT, and using APPLMASK=1. For others, the
        user must first connect to the node, then issue the appropriate command to
        connect to the application.

        So:

        Edit BPQCFG.TXT to something like:

        APPLICATIONS=BBS,XXX,*SYS,CLUSTER

        Run BPQCFG.EXE

        Start AGWtoBPQ, change ApplMask to 8, shut down

        Run WINFBB and AGWtoBPQ

        Run spider

        Run BPQTERMINAL (or connect to the switch from an external source)

        Enter CLUSTER - this will connect you to dxspider.

        Note that the spider callsign must be the same as the BBSCALL in bpqcfg.txt.

        As far as I can see, you cannot change the Appl used by FBB, so you can't do
        this the other way round, with spider as the first app, and fbb as the 4th.

        Regards,

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • ve7cc
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 9, 2006
          Thanks for the info John

          So if AGW is using more than one application , BPQ32 is not a simple
          drop in replacement from a user point of view, since AGW will respond
          to any of its application callsigns.

          Lee

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@n...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Lee,
          >
          > BPQ32 only supports direct connects to one application, the first
          in the
          > APPLICATIONS string in BPQCFG.TXT, and using APPLMASK=1. For
          others, the
          > user must first connect to the node, then issue the appropriate
          command to
          > connect to the application.
          >
          > So:
          >
          > Edit BPQCFG.TXT to something like:
          >
          > APPLICATIONS=BBS,XXX,*SYS,CLUSTER
          >
          > Run BPQCFG.EXE
          >
          > Start AGWtoBPQ, change ApplMask to 8, shut down
          >
          > Run WINFBB and AGWtoBPQ
          >
          > Run spider
          >
          > Run BPQTERMINAL (or connect to the switch from an external source)
          >
          > Enter CLUSTER - this will connect you to dxspider.
          >

          > Note that the spider callsign must be the same as the BBSCALL in
          bpqcfg.txt.

          > As far as I can see, you cannot change the Appl used by FBB, so you
          can't do
          > this the other way round, with spider as the first app, and fbb as
          the 4th.

          > Regards,

          Behalf Of

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2006
            Lee,

            That is correct. It is not even a direct replacement for one application, as
            it will still only respond to the node/bbs call/alias, whatever call the AGW
            app registers.

            Regards,

            wrote:

            > Hi Lee,
            >
            > BPQ32 only supports direct connects to one application, the first
            in the
            > APPLICATIONS string in BPQCFG.TXT, and using APPLMASK=1. For
            others, the
            > user must first connect to the node, then issue the appropriate
            command to
            > connect to the application.
            >
            > So:
            >
            > Edit BPQCFG.TXT to something like:
            >
            > APPLICATIONS=BBS,XXX,*SYS,CLUSTER
            >
            > Run BPQCFG.EXE
            >
            > Start AGWtoBPQ, change ApplMask to 8, shut down
            >
            > Run WINFBB and AGWtoBPQ
            >
            > Run spider
            >
            > Run BPQTERMINAL (or connect to the switch from an external source)
            >
            > Enter CLUSTER - this will connect you to dxspider.
            >

            > Note that the spider callsign must be the same as the BBSCALL in
            bpqcfg.txt.

            > As far as I can see, you cannot change the Appl used by FBB, so you
            can't do
            > this the other way round, with spider as the first app, and fbb as
            the 4th.

            > Regards,

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2006
              Lee,
              Are you running BPQ32, Spider and WinFBB on the same machine?
              - Mark K2CAN
            • ve7cc
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2006
                Hi Mark.

                No.

                I am running AGW, 2x Spider, and AR Cluster on the same machine.
                AGW serves all 3 cluster programs. Users connect to any cluster they
                want via the TNCs by simply connecting to the application callsign.

                BPQ32 and WinFBB are on another machine with another set of TNCs.

                I would like to have only one set of TNCs that would allow users to
                connect to any of the applications, Spider, AR Cluster or WinFBB by
                connecting to a call, not by going through a gateway.

                Lee

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
                  Hi Folks,

                  As there seems to be some interest in running dxspider with BPQ32, I've
                  written a routine to allow spider to talk directly to bpq32 without having
                  to use AGW.

                  Is anyone interested in either testing it, or even just using it once it is
                  stable?

                  73,
                  John G8BPQ
                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
                    Hi John

                    I'd be interested to see a direct interface from bpq32 to DXnet dx
                    cluster software as well.

                    Currently we had planned to use bpq2agw as dxnet also supports the agw
                    interface.

                    Jim

                    John Wiseman wrote:
                    > Hi Folks,
                    >
                    > As there seems to be some interest in running dxspider with BPQ32, I've
                    > written a routine to allow spider to talk directly to bpq32 without having
                    > to use AGW.
                    >
                    > Is anyone interested in either testing it, or even just using it once it is
                    > stable?
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > John G8BPQ
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Paulo Santos
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
                      Hi John and group,

                      I am interested in testing your routine to run dxspider with BPQ32
                      without use AGW.

                      73'
                      Paulo Santos, CT4DK

                      wrote:

                      > Hi Folks,
                      >
                      > As there seems to be some interest in running dxspider with BPQ32,
                      I've
                      > written a routine to allow spider to talk directly to bpq32 without
                      having
                      > to use AGW.
                      >
                      > Is anyone interested in either testing it, or even just using it
                      once it is
                      > stable?
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > John G8BPQ

                    • Ron Stordahl
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
                        Doesn't DXSpider have a AGWPE interface? If so couldn't you use it
                        immediately with AGWtoBPQ?

                        Ron, N5IN

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
                          Ron,

                          Yes, you can but it should be simpler to configure and more reliable
                          with a direct interface.

                          John, G8BPQ

                          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ron Stordahl <ron.stordahl@d...> wrote:

                          > Doesn't DXSpider have a AGWPE interface? If so couldn't you use
                          it
                          > immediately with AGWtoBPQ?
                          >
                          > Ron, N5IN
                          >
                          > John Wiseman wrote:
                          > > Hi Folks,
                          > >
                          > > As there seems to be some interest in running dxspider with
                          BPQ32, I've
                          > > written a routine to allow spider to talk directly to bpq32
                          without having
                          > > to use AGW.
                          > >
                          > > Is anyone interested in either testing it, or even just using it
                          once
                          > > it is
                          > > stable?
                          > >
                          > > 73,
                          > > John G8BPQ

                          > > Ham radio
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby
                          +and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&w6=Yaesu+ham+radio&c=6&s=119&.sig
                          =neAnnVwAaiJ-io38JcwlhQ>
                          > > John wiseman
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=John+wiseman&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Ho
                          bby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&w6=Yaesu+ham+radio&c=6&s=119&.
                          sig=KX8vx1ikYLOMjzP6rwlLyw>
                          > > Craft hobby
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hob
                          by+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&w6=Yaesu+ham+radio&c=6&s=119&.s
                          ig=Lbqvmsy2qag6MkPoWploRA>

                          > > Hobby and craft supply
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+h
                          obby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&w6=Yaesu+ham+radio&c
                          =6&s=119&.sig=VC0cPl3w4-AX0mf0_66V0A>
                          > > Icom ham radio
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Icom+ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=
                          Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&w6=Yaesu+ham+radio&c=6&s=119
                          &.sig=24wVxJmqVhNNTHpOTtLuMg>
                          > > Yaesu ham radio
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Yaesu+ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4
                          =Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&w6=Yaesu+ham+radio&c=6&s=11
                          9&.sig=VtTj3Fc550LZLQMZHqMV3Q>

                          subject=Unsubscribe>