Something to consider

  • kb5hav
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 4, 2014

      For John Wiseman – G8BPQ and fellow Sysops.

      Hello John,

      Since getting back into Packet Radio, I greatly appreciate the help and advice I’ve received from this group.

      As I mentioned in a previous message, I ran MSYS for a short time while running FBB for many years.  Last month, I switched from using WinFBB 7.00i to that of BPQ Mail.  I must say that it is easy to setup and operate.  I do, however, find a feature missing that I’ve used before with FBB and MSYS.  I can understand you may not want to create a clone of sorts, but, would you consider adding at least one feature that was included in FBB and MSYS, the ability to store and retrieve files, meaning text files and perhaps small file sized jpg photos?  You certainly would not want to store, or have someone upload, and executable file as that could pose some serious problems.  For example, in FBB, from the main prompt, you could type F and then Enter and the system would allow you do get a list of documents available for download.  The same applied when at the main prompt you could type D and then Enter and the system would enter a DOS like mode in which you could get a list a files available for downloading as well as allowing the ability to upload files.  The latter, of course, could be restricted as I recall.

      My reasoning for such a feature is that I believe it would be great for EMCOMM.  For example, a big storm, such as a hurricane or tornado, has hit and taken out phone lines and that of the internet.  The BBS sysop, and others who are allowed to make specific uploads of downloadable information, could be kept on the BBS.  Such information could be that of updated list of emergency shelters in your area including points of contact, locations, capacity level, and services available at each, along with directions to that facility.  You could even have maps available in jpg format, small size of course.  Of course, for EMCOMM, I think the ideas of having such an area for storing and retrieving files could be endless.

      I’d be curious as to if anyone else might find a feature like this appealing?  I know in the past, my system got used for such and worked nicely.

      John, I greatly appreciate all you are doing for Packet Radio and BBS sysops around the world.  I love using your programs and I hope you might consider adding a feature like this.

      Respectfully,

      Bobby Graves

      KB5HAV

    • Robert Davidson
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 5, 2014
        Hello Bobby,
          Yes, I would be interested in this capability for much the same reason. Now, I have had at one time a BBS set up that
        was used just for file storage and retrieval and had it linked as an application within BPQ, but the BBS software was
        overkill  for the number of commands that could be used and caused some confusion since you could also register with a user name there as well.

          Having everything neatly tied into BPQ with the basic ability to upload, list and download files would be a nice
        addition

        73
        Bob
        KB3KOW

        Tue Mar 4, 2014 8:14 am (PST) . Posted by:

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 5, 2014

          Bobby,

          It would be relatively easy to add file storage if there is enough interest. As you mention .jpg files, I assume you are looking for something more than just text-based transfer. What protocols/terminal programs do you have in mind? I vaguely recall using 7+ in the past, but if I remember correctly it was a bit of a pain to use.

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 5, 2014
            op 05-03-14 14:28, John Wiseman schreef:

            Bobby,

            It would be relatively easy to add file storage if there is enough interest. As you mention .jpg files, I assume you are looking for something more than just text-based transfer. What protocols/terminal programs do you have in mind? I vaguely recall using 7+ in the past, but if I remember correctly it was a bit of a pain to use.

            7plus is a bit tricky because it has to be split in sepperate files but with tsthost/sp/gp/winpack and fbb there was also the option of yapp and bget to up and download files directly without having to convert it to messages.
            If converting to messages is needed for instance for RMS expres than attached in a B2F message could also work, offcourse it would be limited to WL2K clients as I don't think outpost can handle attachments.
            Then again I'm not sure if any currently developed client can do yapp or bget.

            73 de Andre PE1RDW
          • Dave Webb
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5, 2014
              From my point of view, adding a files directory for download might be problematic. Most users are using either Outpost or RMSExpress and neither of those programs allow for casual browsing.
              Maybe a message system might work where a user will send a message requesting the directory then request files which will be automatically replied to, much the same way wx and other data is sent out to Winlink customers.
              I'd stay away from large files though.
              Right now, I just don't allow important bulletins to be deleted.
              73
              Dave
              WB2HVF

              Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2014
                I've been trying to post a reply but YAHOO keeps posting HUGE Advertisements over the box for entering text, therefore, I am having to reply as though this is a new topic.

                John et al,
                As for the upload and download of files, I believe plain text would work just fine and I for one would love it.  I don't see the need in storing images it would require another utility to accomplish this.  Besides, some of those get very large and require something like 7Plus to handle them.  We need to keep things SIMPLE.

                Sure, I could upload the file as a bulletin, but, I, or someone else, may not want that data going anywhere else, we just need for it to remain on the BBS where it can be easily retrieved when needed.  By having the ability to store data, such as evacuation shelters with addresses, as long as one has a GPS in their vehicle, they already have maps for step by step directions.  As for the information that could be stored is unlimited.

                As for needing a special program to view files on the BBS, Winlink RMS Express already has a built-in Terminal Program...exit the program you are using for your Winlink Session, be it Packet, Winmor, etc., then click on Help from the RMS Express program and about middle way down you will find "Simple Terminal".   RMS Express logs everything you do during that session, which of course can be deleted when you want.  I this program to configure my TNC's as well as connect to my Node and BBS to verify certain aspects of my system, or, to connect to someone else directly for keyboard-to-keyboard operations.  I've never used Outpost, so, I cannot comment about it, but, I'm sure there are programs that will allow the end user to connect to the BBS to send and receive bulletins & mail.

                As long as people remember that ALL BBS's have a Help feature, usually typing ? or H and then Enter, anyone should be able to easily navigate the BBS and be able to upload and download specific text files.

                Respectfully,
                Bobby Graves
                KB5HAV

                Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2014

                  I think what Bobby is referring to is the PG Folder in FBB, users & sysop
                  can place text files
                  As an example for amateur radio stuff, web sites or local Ham Radio meeting
                  time & date etc.

                  I did install the needed programs in FBB/PG folder, but became concerned as
                  to what a user
                  Could add in the PG folder, profanity etc. and removed it, as long as it can
                  be monitored it
                  Would be ok.

                  Mike N9PMO
                  BPQ32 Group Moderator
[...]

                • Bobby Graves - KB5HAV
                  Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2014

                    Hey Mike,

                    You are absolutely correct in the explanation.  If this feature could be added, I believe this would make BPQ32 the most complete package available to sysop’s around the world.

                    Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2014
                      This is already available in the G1NNA BBS software. The text file is held until vetted by the sysop who then uploads it into the files system.

                      Virus Checked before sending

                      Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2014
                        I once operated a node and FBB BBS in Harlingen Texas remotely. ( Plus
                        one in Brownsville ) The FBB program's FBBDOS allowed me to make
                        software changes to the node from my home QTH, then use an FBB SYSOP
                        command to reboot the computer at the distant tower site, thus putting
                        the changes into action.

                        I ran all changes on a computer at home before trying them out on the
                        remote BBS/node computer. The deal is, if you make a serious mistake, it
                        can only be rectified by a visit to the tower site. - So I tested every
                        change ahead of time and never had a problem.

                        Using the SYSOP password proved to be sufficient for security, despite
                        laughable attempts by a local clown to "hack" the system for whatever
                        reason such a dim intellect might have...

                        At one point I experimented with FlexNet, and then was able to change
                        back to BPQ remotely. - I had two DOS boot files, and activated one or
                        the other by changing file-names and then rebooting the system remotely.

                        The way it worked, as I remember, was that a special file directory was
                        open to use by users of the system, but after negotiating the SYSOP
                        password, I had remote access to the entire hard-drive on that computer
                        and could even run some other programs remotely. ( Archive software for
                        example. )

                        It worked well for me, and there were no security issues.

                        73 DE Charles, N5PVL
                      • n3xpd
                        Message 12 of 19 , Mar 7, 2014
                          K. O.,
                          How do you set up the categories that you mention and how do you manage them?
                          After these categories are set up how does a user access them?
                          I've been digging through the documentations since seeing your post but haven't found it yet.
                          I'm pretty new at this and I may be missing the obvious so if you can provide additional information or a link to where I can look will be most helpful and much appreciated.

                          Thanks,
                          Mike - n3xpd
                        • K.O. Higgs
                          Message 13 of 19 , Mar 7, 2014
                            Okay, first some basics:
                            LC     =    List all categories
                            L> category    =  List all messages in a category
                            R msgnumber    =   Read a message in a category
                            These are all User commands.

                            How to set up a category to stay on the bbs
                            This is a Sysop command
                            Configuration->Main Configuration->Housekeeping
                            In the lower right-hand boxes->In the "TO" field
                            Enter the category name and the length of time to stay.
                            Example:  ARES, 1000   (Will keep the ARES bulls for 1000 days)
                            Limit is 67 years.
                            BE SURE to "check" the "Apply to unsent bulls" box.

                            To get bulls (messages) into this category:
                            sb <category>

                            Everyone can enter messages and read messages from this category.
                            The Sysop can easily "manage" the messages in the category(s).

                            73,  K.O. n0kfq

                            This same principal works in FBB and MSYS bbs's.

                            --

                            K.O. Higgs
                            n0kfq@...

                          • K.O. Higgs
                            Message 14 of 19 , Mar 7, 2014
                              Mike, I see that you are operating a bbs in Pennsylvania.. I operate a BPQ32 bbs in Branson Missouri and I could use a forwarding partner in Pennsylvania. If you are interested in taking on another forwarding partner, I could handle MO, AR, OK, and IA p-mail for you.. and ALL of your NTS traffic.

                              I prefer AXIP, and here is my MAP statement: "MAP KB0WSA-6 n0kfq.dyndns.org UDP 10093 B"

                              Send me your MAP statement and we can get started..

                              73,  K.O. n0kfq
                              On 3/7/2014 6:19 AM, n3xpd@... wrote:

                              K. O.,
                              How do you set up the categories that you mention and how do you manage them?
                              After these categories are set up how does a user access them?
                              I've been digging through the documentations since seeing your post but haven't found it yet.
                              I'm pretty new at this and I may be missing the obvious so if you can provide additional information or a link to where I can look will be most helpful and much appreciated.

                              Thanks,
                              Mike - n3xpd

                              --

                              K.O. Higgs
                              n0kfq@...

                            • Don Poaps
                              Message 15 of 19 , Mar 7, 2014
                                Newbie Question..

                                I have the BPQ Mail server up and running. I went to the Manage Messages. I added a few DXNEWS 1000 but I didn't see where "The Apply to unsent Bulls" box is.

                                IN the BBS > I see LC and the different conference not only my system but every one us I logged into. I see no instruction as how to read DXnews for instance. I only see DXNEWS 13.
                                I tried R DXNEWS,  C DXNEWS. but nothing happens as I don't have the right Syntax.Where or what is the Syntax for read conference.?

                                LC

                                44     4  ALL    2  ARES   1  BAN    2  BASIC  1  BCAST  16 CRASH  1  DX     9  DXNET  2   DXNEWS 13 EQUAKE 4  FBBLOG 4  FUEL   7  GAS    2  HIFI   1  HUMOUR 30 KEP    8  KEPS   5   LETTER 3  MUSIC  3  N9PMO  2  NZART  1  PACKET 1  PALIN  1  PONDER 5  PROP   3  QST    2   RAC    5  SAT    1  SATDIG 18 SPCL   1  SPORT  5  SWPC   69 SYSOP  1  TDOTA  1  TECH   39 TECHNI 5  TODAY  10 TV     1  WIA    21 WP     6  WX     2  YL     2  YLOM   13

                                Sine I don't see any thing in the ? (Help) How can I as a SYSOP on to User that log in.

                                Don va7dgp

                                On 3/7/2014 6:19 AM, n3xpd@... wrote:

                                K. O.,
                                How do you set up the categories that you mention and how do you manage them?
                                After these categories are set up how does a user access them?
                                I've been digging through the documentations since seeing your post but haven't found it yet.
                                I'm pretty new at this and I may be missing the obvious so if you can provide additional information or a link to where I can look will be most helpful and much appreciated.

                                Thanks,
                                Mike - n3xpd

                                --

                                K.O. Higgs
                                n0kfq@...

                                --
                                Don Poaps
                                New Westminster, BC
                                VA7DGP

                                Message 16 of 19 , Mar 7, 2014
                                  L> DX (enter)

                                  Will return with the list of TO DX Messages number
                                  R message number

                                  Second request, what DLink router are you using

                                  Mike N9PMO
                                  BPQ32 Group Moderator

                                  Message 17 of 19 , Mar 7, 2014
                                    It's getting lost in this back and forward of emails...

                                    I'm still at work.

                                    Don till 3 pm I hope.

                                    Message 18 of 19 , Mar 7, 2014
                                      K.O.
                                      My MAP " MAP N3XPD-3 n3xpd.dyndns.org UDP 10093 B"

                                      Mike
                                      n3xpd@...
                                    • K.O. Higgs
                                      Message 19 of 19 , Mar 7, 2014
                                        Thanks, Mike.. here is the "connect path" to my bbs:
                                        C MOBRA     (kb0wsa-6)
                                        KFQ             (n0kfq bbs)

                                        I will register you here and get you set up as a bbs. As soon as I can see your node I will connect to you and register myself on your bbs.

                                        73,  K.O. n0kfq