AEA Pactor Configuration

  • n4znv
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3 9:54 AM
      Does anyone have a configuration file I could look at using AEA Pactor.
      I am having difficulty understanding the COM Port in Hex as the example in the AEA Pactor Driver Switch information doesn't seem to correlate with information on HEX addresses I have been able to look up.
      I am hoping to use the newer Timewave PK-232SC but do have an older AEA PK-232MBX available.

      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks in advance.

      Mike
      N4ZNV
    • Dave Webb
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3 10:12 AM

        On 3/3/2014 12:54 PM, n4znv@... wrote:

        Does anyone have a configuration file I could look at using AEA Pactor.
        I am having difficulty understanding the COM Port in Hex as the example in the AEA Pactor Driver Switch information doesn't seem to correlate with information on HEX addresses I have been able to look up.
        I am hoping to use the newer Timewave PK-232SC but do have an older AEA PK-232MBX available.

        Any help would be appreciated.
        Thanks in advance.

        Mike
        N4ZNV

        Mike,
        Does this help?
        Note: I changed my MARS call to your call.
        Change PORTNUM to what ever you wish to use.
        Com 10 is a USB to RS232 converter cable.  If you change which USB port you plug into, the COM port changes.... at least on my system.
        If you don't use the PORTCALL, it will try to use the Node call and mess things up since the pactor doesn't allow an SSID.
        73
        Dave
        WB2HVF

        PORT
         PORTNUM=5
         ID=Pactor AEA
         PORTCALL=N4ZNV
         TYPE=EXTERNAL
         PROTOCOL=PACTOR
         IOADDR=10 ;             COM Port Address (Note this is in hex, so for COM20 enter 14
         SPEED=9600   ;          COM Port Speed
         DLLNAME=AEAPactor.dll
         QUALITY=0;              Can't Run NETROM on Pactor Ports
         CONFIG
        APPL BBS
        PARITY 0
        8BITCONV ON
        ACRRTTY 0
        ARQT 45 ; Connect Timeout
        AUTOBAUD OFF
        CONMODE TRANS; Required for binary transmission
        FLOW OFF; disable FLOW
        RXREV OFF

        ENDPORT

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3 10:27 AM
          Mike

          I can't help you with the configuration file, but when it comes to hex
          values I use the
          Windows Calculator in Scientific mode under View, tick the Dec enter the com
          port
          Then tick the Hex this will show you the hex value, 1-9 is the same 10 is A
          in Hex,
          As in Johns example 20 is 14 in Hex.

          Mike N9PMO
          BPQ32 Group Moderator

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3 10:32 AM

            Google is a very good to to use when wanting to know anything close to math or conversions of any kind.

          • n4znv
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3 10:45 AM
              Thanks Dave

              I believe that will jump start things for me.
              Now to see if the new PK-232SC will work.  If not I will stand up the older model.
              I did find the Hex port numbers scheme also.

              Greatly appreciated.

              Mike
            • n4znv
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3 10:47 AM
                Thanks Mike

                Found the solution elsewhere but never thought of using the calculator.
                Will remember that one for the future.

                Greatly appreciated.

                Mike
              • Dave Webb
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3 11:07 AM
                  On 3/3/2014 1:45 PM, n4znv@... wrote:
                  > Now to see if the new PK-232SC will work. If not I will stand up the
                  > older model.
                  Glad to help Mike
                  Please let me know if the new PK-232SC works.
                  Also, if it does, Can you center the pactor tones on 1500Hz? The
                  PK232MBX is a pain to figure out what frequency to use with it 2100/2300
                  tones plus you can run a dual port on the same frequency with the sound
                  card modes such as Winmor.
                  73
                  Dave

                  ---
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3 12:03 PM

                    Mike,

                    You can also use COMPORT instead of IOADDR. COMPORT is in decimal.

                    That option has been there a while - unfortunately a lot of sample configs are very old.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3 12:38 PM
                      Hi Dave

                      Well I think I have BPQ32 communicating with the 232-SC but when I connect or when a friend of mine connects we show we are connected but we are not getting connected to the BBS.

                      Scratching our heads at the moment.

                      At least I believe the COM Port is connected to BPQ32.

                      I do not believe the 232-SC will shift center freq but haven't tried changing it.

                      Thanks
                      Mike
                    • n4znv
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 3 1:30 PM
                        Dave

                        No success on the new 232SC so I put the old PK232-MBX on line and tried it.
                        I get the same results.

                        There must be something obvious I am missing.  I am back to looking at the driver switch information John has listed in the online documents to see if I can figure out what I need to do.

                        Any suggestions?

                        Thanks in advance.

                        Mike
                      • Dave Webb

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 3 8:25 PM
                            Mike

                            I am not real familiar with AEA or MFJ TNC'S only Kantronics, how ever they
                            work much
                            The same,
                            1 The parameters between bpq32.cfg and TNC must be the same, example as
                            follows:
                            PORT
                            ID=BPQ 145.xxx MHz
                            TYPE=ASYNC
                            NOKEEPALIVES=1 ; No Net Rom Polling
                            PROTOCOL=KISS
                            FULLDUP=0
                            IOADDR=1 ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.
                            SPEED=9600 ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED
                            CHANNEL=A ; A for single channel TNC, A or B

                            2 The TNC must have the same Serial or com port & speed usually 9600 BUAD
                            before placed
                            in Kiss mode, of course the IOADDR= is you comport you will be using.

                            There are two way to access the TNC windows version latest version of BPQ32.

                            1 is making sure all BPQ32 programs are closed.

                            TNC comport is open, the second way if you

                            want to leave BPQ32 & programs running, using BPQ32 Terminal type the
                            following:
                            password (all one word) (enter)

                            STOPPORT of the bpq32.cfg TNC port, example bpq32.cfg port 2 is your TNC
                            port you

                            Would enter STOPPORT 2 (enter)

                            Now you can take the TNC out of kiss using a kiss exit program, Using a
                            program like Windows Hyper Term,
                            Putty, etc.

                            Make connect to the TNC, make sure Serial BUAD Is 9600 usually AB 9600
                            (enter)
                            Probably simple kiss is all that is needed, if your TNC supports more then
                            just simple kiss.

                            Finally the two kiss commands, I think for your model but I may be wrong,
                            enter KISS ON (enter) then enter
                            RESTART (enter) at this point Hyper Term will no long communicate with the
                            TNC if the TNC went into Kiss

                            IF you used the STOPPORT x method and did not close BPQ32 Terminal type
                            STARTPORT x (enter)
                            Bpq32.cfg TNC port, Note if you did close BPQ32 Terminal, you will need to
                            type password first!

                            If you shut down all BPQ programs then just restart the programs, I hope
                            this was of some help.

                            73

                            Mike N9PMO
                            BPQ32 Group Moderator

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 4 5:43 AM
                                Hi Dave

                                You are correct, I am trying to use the PK232 for HF Pactor BBS.
                                Mike may have something though as it seems I am connecting to the 232 via BPQTerminal or by other radios, one using a PK232 and another set up of mine using dummy loads and low power which has an SCS modem attached.  I have used Putty to control my SCS so I can maintain control of the center frequency to match the 232.
                                Have a solid connect to the 232 but can not issue any commands.  It just says we are connected.
                                Have the same situation using the new PK232SC so it doesn't seem to be a version type problem per se.
                                There must be something inside the modem that needs to be set differently.

                                Thanks

                                Mike
                              • Don Poaps
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 4 6:04 AM
                                  Mike

                                  You maybe on to something here. A ham from Yellowknife from their EOC are trying to get that 232 to talking  over the air. They have it hooked IC7600. I've had not really spent time with him other, than a quick phone giving him a few websites to help him solve problem.
                                  Have you communicated with Randy at AEA Timewave RE: Problem?

                                  later

                                  Don va7dgp

                                  Don va7dgp

                                  --