Re: BP32 Windows Installer posted to the files section

  • Ron Stordahl N5IN
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2006
      I picked a folder for the install (c:\BPQTest\), however it appears to
      write at least bpq32.dll to c:\winnt\system32. Bpq32.dll does not
      appear in my chosen directory. If a new Bpq32.dll becomes available,
      it would appear that those that do not use the installer will have to
      be told to also check in that system directory, which will be different
      depending upon the OS. Also where multiple Bpq32.dll's are present,
      what is the sequence of paths that will be searched.

      Was this your intent?

      Ron, N5IN
    • ve7ihl
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2006
        In working through a BPQ32 installation with WinFBB32, it was found
        that if you had multiple Bpq32.DLL files present (especially if one
        copy resides in the C:\BPQ32 home folder) that you would sometimes
        get multiple copies of BPQ32 being loaded into memory. This was a
        problem because only the first copy of BPQ32 would actually work and
        gain access to the serial ports. In discussing this with John W., he
        suggested that it is best to only have a single BPQ32.dll file in
        the Windows path, so that no matter how many application programs
        tried to access and use BPQ32, it would then only result in a single
        copy of the BPQ32 code being loaded into memory. Since
        the "system32" is the default place to put these types of files, and
        already has a default path setting to it, this is where the
        installer will attempt to put the file.

        This can be changed if needed, or we could put an option in the
        installer to "over-ride" where it puts this file. It also handles
        installing the VB40032.DLL shared DLL file as well.

        If people use a manual method to install the BPQ32 files, and then
        sometimes use the installer, it could get confusing as to where all
        the files are..

        It might also be useful to change the installer to have an option to
        not automatically create some of the config files (such as
        password.bpq, bpqcfg.txt, etc.) so it can be used to just install an
        updated version "overtop" of an existing already installed version.

        What I have placed there is really just for people to try out and
        get some feedback.

        The subject of Windows installers can become enormously complex
        quite quickly if you need to support old versions and
        upgrade/downgrade issues as well. This installer does not tackle
        those subjects at all.

        Lane, ve7ihl

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN"