simple serial terminal port config needed

  • Al Whaley
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
      I have an ancient 486 with 8 megs of memory running BPQ (408 I think)
      and a BBS - AA4RE to be specific.
      Three of the four serial ports are configured in BPQ for KISS mode and
      talk to three TNCS which are connected to three radios on different bands.

      I want to configure the 4th serial port to communicate directly to the
      BBS - a simple pass-through, with no computer protocol (no KISS or
      HDLC or NETROM protocol). This would allow me to use a simple
      terminal (laptop with hyperterm) to talk to the BBS when I'm in the
      same room with it, instead of coming in through a radio and TNC.

      Can anyone suggest whether this is possible, and if so how to
      accomplish it?

      thanks
      Al
    • Mark Harloff
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hi Al,

        There is no way to use a terminal program to
        directly access the Node without using any type
        of protocol that I am aware of. John can correct
        me about this if I am wrong.

        However, you could setup a KISS port on the main
        Node. Then, install FlexNet32 with a KISS port
        and the Paxon terminal program on the laptop and
        use the Paxon terminal program to access the
        Node. I have this type of setup here and it
        works fine. This assumes that you are running an
        OS on the laptop that will support 32 bit programs.

        I know there are a couple of other terminal
        emulator programs out there that have KISS
        porting available but their names escape me at
        the moment.

        - Mark K2CAN

        Al Whaley wrote:

        > I have an ancient 486 with 8 megs of memory running BPQ (408 I think)
        > and a BBS - AA4RE to be specific.
        > Three of the four serial ports are configured in BPQ for KISS mode and
        > talk to three TNCS which are connected to three radios on different bands.
        >
        > I want to configure the 4th serial port to communicate directly to the
        > BBS - a simple pass-through, with no computer protocol (no KISS or
        > HDLC or NETROM protocol). This would allow me to use a simple
        > terminal (laptop with hyperterm) to talk to the BBS when I'm in the
        > same room with it, instead of coming in through a radio and TNC.
        >
        > Can anyone suggest whether this is possible, and if so how to
        > accomplish it?
        >
        > thanks
        > Al
      • Danny PD0SNK
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
          Hi all..

          another option is via agw and tsthwin or winpack with this config it also possible to work via unproto beacons of the bbs :)

          another way is with tsthost and tfpcx or any other program that works with tfpcx under dos.

          i have used here several configs and all work fine you just make a (fake) kissport for your prog and a kiss port in bpq and it should work.

          73's Danny PD0SNK