FYI - beware antivirus software and your RMS log files

  • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2008
      Hello all,

      Hope the cooler fall weather has everyone thinking about fall/winter
      radio/packet projects.

      Been working with John (G8BPQ) to resolve some odd issues with BPQ32
      and RMS Packet under load testing on 9.6k rf links.

      WinLink sees little daily use in my area and we mainly wanted it for
      additional capability/flexibility during training or real world
      emergencies. So I wanted to test it with messages of some size to them
      and the simplest of terminal setups. Figuring that the need to move
      messages in the 20-100k size range would be very likely in a real
      world emergency situation, I test with those sizes.

      I was doing some testing with a simple terminal uploading mail to RMS
      Packet via a BPQ32 switch. With small (sub 10k) messages all seemed
      fine. Then I noticed that after sending in a few 100K messages things
      were getting slower and slower. Problem would start about 180-200k in
      and get worse. I could see that the switch was sending back RNR
      packets as apparently RMS Packet was suddenly choking on the incoming
      data.

      After lots of testing and head scratching by myself and John (G8BPQ) I
      finally stumbled upon the cause. Seems the antivirus software was
      watching/scanning the log files as RMS Packet writes them to disk. As
      the log file sizes increased...there was just enough brief I/O
      contention there to cause the problem.

      Setting the AV software's real time scanning to ignore those log files
      solved the problem. On slower inputs or systems that don't see much
      usage, this problem may not even show up depending on the AV software
      used and it's particular real time scanning configuration.

      Just something to keep in mind in case you see similar issues.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO