Hope the cooler fall weather has everyone thinking about fall/winter
Been working with John (G8BPQ) to resolve some odd issues with BPQ32
and RMS Packet under load testing on 9.6k rf links.
WinLink sees little daily use in my area and we mainly wanted it for
additional capability/flexibility during training or real world
emergencies. So I wanted to test it with messages of some size to them
and the simplest of terminal setups. Figuring that the need to move
messages in the 20-100k size range would be very likely in a real
world emergency situation, I test with those sizes.
I was doing some testing with a simple terminal uploading mail to RMS
Packet via a BPQ32 switch. With small (sub 10k) messages all seemed
fine. Then I noticed that after sending in a few 100K messages things
were getting slower and slower. Problem would start about 180-200k in
and get worse. I could see that the switch was sending back RNR
packets as apparently RMS Packet was suddenly choking on the incoming
After lots of testing and head scratching by myself and John (G8BPQ) I
finally stumbled upon the cause. Seems the antivirus software was
watching/scanning the log files as RMS Packet writes them to disk. As
the log file sizes increased...there was just enough brief I/O
contention there to cause the problem.
Setting the AV software's real time scanning to ignore those log files
solved the problem. On slower inputs or systems that don't see much
usage, this problem may not even show up depending on the AV software
used and it's particular real time scanning configuration.
Just something to keep in mind in case you see similar issues.