BP32 Windows Installer posted to the files section

  • ve7ihl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2006
      Hi all,
      I have posted a Windows Installer for BPQ32 based on the Dec. 25,2005
      files release. Feel free to try this out and let me know if you have
      any problems with it. I would suggest that you NOT install this onto
      a "live" computer (one that is running BPQ32 already) until we have
      had more feedback from others. I have tried it, and so has John
      Wiseman.

      Basically it will install the files into the correct places on the
      hard drive, optionally ask you to fill in some fields and create a
      starting BPQCFG.Txt file for you. It will also create a password.bpq
      file, and run the BPQCFG.exe program to create a first BPQCFG.bin file
      too. For the BPQCFG.Txt items that it does not ask you about, it just
      provides defaults.

      Once the installer has been run, you would then manually edit the
      BPQCFG.Txt file to further refine itto match your system configuration.

      You can also perfrom a Windows "Uninstall" too, to remove the files.

      Lane, ve7ihl
    • Ron Stordahl N5IN
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2006
        I picked a folder for the install (c:\BPQTest\), however it appears to
        write at least bpq32.dll to c:\winnt\system32. Bpq32.dll does not
        appear in my chosen directory. If a new Bpq32.dll becomes available,
        it would appear that those that do not use the installer will have to
        be told to also check in that system directory, which will be different
        depending upon the OS. Also where multiple Bpq32.dll's are present,
        what is the sequence of paths that will be searched.

        Was this your intent?

        Ron, N5IN
      • ve7ihl
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2006
          In working through a BPQ32 installation with WinFBB32, it was found
          that if you had multiple Bpq32.DLL files present (especially if one
          copy resides in the C:\BPQ32 home folder) that you would sometimes
          get multiple copies of BPQ32 being loaded into memory. This was a
          problem because only the first copy of BPQ32 would actually work and
          gain access to the serial ports. In discussing this with John W., he
          suggested that it is best to only have a single BPQ32.dll file in
          the Windows path, so that no matter how many application programs
          tried to access and use BPQ32, it would then only result in a single
          copy of the BPQ32 code being loaded into memory. Since
          the "system32" is the default place to put these types of files, and
          already has a default path setting to it, this is where the
          installer will attempt to put the file.

          This can be changed if needed, or we could put an option in the
          installer to "over-ride" where it puts this file. It also handles
          installing the VB40032.DLL shared DLL file as well.

          If people use a manual method to install the BPQ32 files, and then
          sometimes use the installer, it could get confusing as to where all
          the files are..

          It might also be useful to change the installer to have an option to
          not automatically create some of the config files (such as
          password.bpq, bpqcfg.txt, etc.) so it can be used to just install an
          updated version "overtop" of an existing already installed version.

          What I have placed there is really just for people to try out and
          get some feedback.

          The subject of Windows installers can become enormously complex
          quite quickly if you need to support old versions and
          upgrade/downgrade issues as well. This installer does not tackle
          those subjects at all.

          Lane, ve7ihl

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN"