Initial setup help

  • Lee Inman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
      I've just begun with BPQ32 and need a little help with establishing a
      basic system.

      As a start I'd like to use a KPC-3+ TNC to set up a a BPQ node and use
      the BPQ terminal application to interact with it. I have installed
      BPQ32 using the installer from the files section. I'm using the "small"
      example configuration files and have edited the bpqcfg.txt file with
      what I think are the minimal settings I need to change (mainly just
      callsigns and aliases).

      I have compiled the config file and then started up BPQTerminal. At
      this point I don't see any activity at the TNC or the radio. I do see
      on the console window that port 01 was initialized (ASYNC).

      I can use a simple terminal like HyperTerm and control the TNC to
      perform packet connections, interact with mailboxes, etc. Obviously, I
      have missed something very important, but reading the install documents
      hasn't revealed it to me. Your assistance would be appreciated.

      73, Lee K0QED
    • Hank Oredson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
        Have you put the TNC into KISS mode?

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
          Hank,

          Thanks for your reply.

          On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Hank Oredson <horedson@...> wrote:
          > Have you put the TNC into KISS mode?

          No, I hadn't put into KISS mode. I'll try that with the KPS-3+ in a
          little bit. Since my earlier message I switched over to use the
          internal TNC in the Kenwood TM-D710 and have gotten a little further.
          Again, I haven't done anything to place the TNC into KISS mode, so all
          of the rest of this message may not mean much.

          After starting up BPQTerminal I can see incoming packets:

          ^^KB0SRJ-10>BEACON:KB0SRJ-10 PPFMA RMS Packet Gateway. DIGI=PPFMA
          NODE=KB0SRJ-7 DM78ou
          ^^
          ^^?EH
          ^^cmd:

          where the ^^ represents some unprintable character displayed as a
          black square on my monitor.

          Attempting a connect "CONNECT 1 KB0SRJ-10" shows packets being
          transmitted and received (assumed from T and R after time stamp), but
          the radio does not transmit.

          16:50:52T K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>
          16:50:52R K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>
          16:50:56T K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>
          16:50:56R K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>
          16:51:01T K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>
          16:51:01R K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>
          16:51:05T K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>
          16:51:05R K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>
          16:51:12T K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>
          16:51:13R K0QED-3>K0QED-10 Port=1 <C C P>

          Ending with a failure notification. Have I somhow configured the port
          as loopback?

          I'm sure I can locate the command to place the TNC into KISS mode, but
          don't now where to insert that command into the configuration process.

          Thanks again,

          73, Lee K0QED
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
            Hi Lee.

            My software doesn't change the TNC state, so you need put it onto KISS mode with an appropriate baud rate, and save the settings, before starting the node.

            I suspect the Kenwood is echoing the characters it sees, so it appears that the port is looped. Again, putting it into kiss mode should fix that.

            I don't see how the node is seeing the beacon, though, as it should only respond to KISS packets.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
              Hi Lee,

              IF you have the port in bpqcfg.txt configured as a 'KISS' port you will
              need to force your tnc into the KISS mode for it to communicate with
              BPQ. You can do this using a terminal program (link HyperTerm in
              Windows) for most tncs prior to starting BPQ.

              - Mark K2CAN

              Lee Inman wrote:

              > I've just begun with BPQ32 and need a little help with establishing a
              > basic system.
              >
              > As a start I'd like to use a KPC-3+ TNC to set up a a BPQ node and use
              > the BPQ terminal application to interact with it. I have installed
              > BPQ32 using the installer from the files section. I'm using the "small"
              > example configuration files and have edited the bpqcfg.txt file with
              > what I think are the minimal settings I need to change (mainly just
              > callsigns and aliases).
              >
              > I have compiled the config file and then started up BPQTerminal. At
              > this point I don't see any activity at the TNC or the radio. I do see
              > on the console window that port 01 was initialized (ASYNC).
              >
              > I can use a simple terminal like HyperTerm and control the TNC to
              > perform packet connections, interact with mailboxes, etc. Obviously, I
              > have missed something very important, but reading the install documents
              > hasn't revealed it to me. Your assistance would be appreciated.
              >
              > 73, Lee K0QED

            • D.Calder n4zkf
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
                KISS mode and some a re-start after....

                Dave n4zkf

                Lee Inman wrote:

                > I've just begun with BPQ32 and need a little help with establishing a
                > basic system.
                >
                > As a start I'd like to use a KPC-3+ TNC to set up a a BPQ node and use
                > the BPQ terminal application to interact with it. I have installed
                > BPQ32 using the installer from the files section. I'm using the "small"
                > example configuration files and have edited the bpqcfg.txt file with
                > what I think are the minimal settings I need to change (mainly just
                > callsigns and aliases).
                >
                > I have compiled the config file and then started up BPQTerminal. At
                > this point I don't see any activity at the TNC or the radio. I do see
                > on the console window that port 01 was initialized (ASYNC).
                >
                > I can use a simple terminal like HyperTerm and control the TNC to
                > perform packet connections, interact with mailboxes, etc. Obviously, I
                > have missed something very important, but reading the install documents
                > hasn't revealed it to me. Your assistance would be appreciated.
                >
                > 73, Lee K0QED

              • Lee
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
                  Thanks everyone - manually enabling KISS mode has me on my way - I'm
                  receiving and sending packets from the terminal now. In case anyone
                  else needs it, to enable KISS mode on the Kenwood (TASCO) internal TNC
                  the commands are KISS ON followed by RESTART.

                  I'm off to see what else I can learn...

                  Thanks again.

                  73, Lee K0QED