RE: Microsoft will discontinue support for Windows XP in April of 2014

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17, 2014
      Gentlemen

      I feel that everyone is getting bent out of shape from the discontinue
      support for Windows XP in April of 2014
      For nothing, as long as you have your router setup right, & to discard
      Pings, a Firewall and A/V
      You shouldn't have any problems, I believe this is more of a sales gimmick
      then anything else.

      I use Google Chrome for some time now, I feel it has better security then IE
      7, 8 and 11, it is
      Much faster as long as you don't use Yahoo for your home page, it takes to
      long to load all of
      The GIF'S, who needs that, Google home page, is just fine.

      The XP updates will still be available if one needs to format their hard
      drive, the updates will be good
      Until April 2014, just as the updates for W2K are still available.

      I run three XP machines here and one W7 32 Bit but have no intention of
      changing from XP home or Pro
      To W7.

      Only two out of the 4 machine could handle W7 the other two are just P4 3.0
      GHz hyper thread
      And not enough memory, with ATA hard drives, when the price comes down some
      more I plan
      On investing in a Solid state HD, these are very fast, about 15 second from
      the time you hit the
      Power button to full windows & added programs boot.

      I have SB/PI also but just haven't had time to play with it, I like the
      windows version over Linux version
      The latest version now having Full Telnet in/outbound along with some other
      added options makes
      A very nice BBS, so much to the point I am dropping WinFbb 7.00i, it is too
      far behind now a days.

      John increasing the Flagged BBS users from 80 to 125 in the latest version
      suits my service well.

      73

      Mike N9PMO
      BPQ32 Group Moderator
      www.n9pmo.com
    • Don Rolph
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2014
        I have seen enough posts on this topic that perhaps I can't resist participating anymore.

        When one selects an operating system, one is making a bargain with the provider:  you can have the functions I support, but I am providing the overall structure in which you will operate.

        Microsoft has one set of rules which, by the nature of Windows, includes security patches at regular intervals and a period of support determined by the vendor.

        Apple imposes somewhat different rules, and LINUX (which does have a provider, albeit one from a different model) has its own.

        There has been no surprise in the discontinuance of support for XP:  this has been announced for years.  And griping that you have not taken actions to respond to this long announced change is at best demonstrating a lack of forethought.

        Personally, I have always been puzzled that amateur radio was not more focused on LINUX:  many of the irritants from the discontinued support of XP would have been resolved from the beginning by using LINUX.

        However, listening to the comments it becomes clear that for many in the amateur community, Windows is better suited for their approach to technology than LINUX is.

        Be that as it may;  continue to use your XP.  Put a hardware firewall in front of it.  Do not web browse or accept email on it, and you should be reasonably ok.

        But griping that Microsoft is no longer supporting XP is as should have been expected.

        My 20 mils worth.  I now get off my soap box. :-)

        73,
        AB1PH
        Don Rolph

        On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:52 AM, Mike Melnik <mmelnik1@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Shawn Bush
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2014

          I guess I would have to agree with don. In the Linux or Ubuntu/Debian world they offer a LTS version, or Long Term Service, in which they support that version. But even LTD version have their day when you won't be able to automatically get security updates.

          I believe if M$ don't want to update X then they should offer it as freeware and maybe even release the source code.

          73's
          KD8NCV

        • Mike Brogan
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 18, 2014
            The problem with linux is that with the number of different releases and versions available, each with it's own way of doing things, new users who have come from a windows background become confused - it is not always apparent to them how to go about getting things to work. Add to this the inability of some flavours of linux to always identify hardware correctly twice in a row (Ubuntu used to be particularly bad at this, don't know if it has improved since I gave up on it) and people who are not intuitive when it comes to computers quickly give up on it..........

            When it comes to frequent updates, linux is no better than windows :(

            Mike.......

            On 18/02/2014 12:38, Shawn Bush wrote:

[...]

          • cpgilles
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2014

              As usual this is always an active group and everyone has their strong opinions.  I appreciate everyone response.  I tend to be conservative and I think it is time to start learning Linux.  I have all the security measures in place but the hackers are relentless and ingenious.  Based on a small amount of research I like what I see and particularly like the fact that I can dual boot into XP or Linux.  I realize Linux is not going to be perfect and it too will one day become discontinued but it is worth a try.  In addition I would like to one day try Raspberry PI and this is a good logical first step.

              I may be calling on a few experienced Linux users for assistance.

              73 Chuck W4CPG
            • Shawn Bush
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2014

                I would suggest using Ubuntu as it seems to work well. I run linbpq under Ubuntu Server and it runs just fine. I myself plan on getting a raspberry pi and use it in my truck with a wifi card. Hence mobile wireless packet radio.

                Hackers are a problem, but linux dosen't have close to the amount of malware windows has.

                73's
                KD8NCV

                On Feb 18, 2014 9:19 AM, <cpgilles@...> wrote:

                As usual this is always an active group and everyone has their strong opinions.  I appreciate everyone response.  I tend to be conservative and I think it is time to start learning Linux.  I have all the security measures in place but the hackers are relentless and ingenious.  Based on a small amount of research I like what I see and particularly like the fact that I can dual boot into XP or Linux.  I realize Linux is not going to be perfect and it too will one day become discontinued but it is worth a try.  In addition I would like to one day try Raspberry PI and this is a good logical first step.

                I may be calling on a few experienced Linux users for assistance.

                73 Chuck W4CPG
              • Charles Brabham

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 18, 2014

                    Now you brought up a good question.  I was planning to use the desktop version.  Do I need to use the server version?

                    73 Chuck

                  • Mike Brogan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 18, 2014
                      Too much trimming!! We do not have any idea to which of the many messages with this subject heading today this message refers to.........

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 18, 2014

                        The only difference is the desktop version has added programs and x windows setup by default. However the server version takes a lot less resources. So it depends if you want the full install or just the server...