Microsoft discontinuing support and security updates for Win XP in April.

  • cpgilles
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014

      John,

      I am sure many, but not all, are aware Microsoft will discontinue support for Windows XP in April of 2014.  This means they will no longer provide any security updates from that point forward.  They are strongly encouraging everyone to migrate from Windows XP.  Many companies are insisting all employees discontinue running any XP machines after April 1st.   The news is very disappointing to me as BPQ32 runs perfectly on an XP machine.  I am currently running two of them and am not sure just yet what I am going to do.  From the many messages posted on this group I believe many people are in the same boat as I am.

      It might be a good time to review the operating systems compatible with BPQ32 including both 32 and 64 bit versions.  Perhaps Including Linux compatibility would also be beneficial as it is one of the options I am considering and I know nothing about Linux.  Maybe this information already exists and just pointing to the file or documentation is all that is necessary.

      Thanks for all you do for the ham hobby.

      Chuck W4CPG
    • n9acq
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014

        Chuck

                        I have BPQ running on both Vista and W7. I know of other installs are also on Vista and W7.

        73 Bill

        N9ACQ

      • Steve Hansen

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014

            Steve and all

                            Microsoft had announced a while ago that W7 will be supported for another 7 years, if my ears herd right. This should hold until W9 or W10 is released.

            73 Bill

            N9ACQ

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014

              Chuck,

              There is already a Linux version of BPQ (LinBPQ), and the Windows version works on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 and Win8.

              There are some notes on installing Linbpq here

              https://sites.google.com/site/bpq32wiki/home/installing-linbpq

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014

                    I think Bill Gates has outdone himself as a Linux salesman.

                    Last year I just dabbled in Linux. Now I'm embracing it.

                    Steve KB1TCE

                    On 02/17/2014 05:30 PM, Jerry Kutche wrote:

                    Nice way to drive up sales.  Fear factor. Lol

                  • Chuck Gillespie
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014

                      John,

                      What would say is the most popular and stable Linux OS?  Your documentation mentions Ubuntu.

                      BTW I like your new documentation page.  Looks great.

                      Chuck W4CPG

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014
                        On 17 Feb 2014 at 17:23, Steve Hansen wrote:

                        > About the only thing keeping me on Windows is the Winmor TNC. Otherwise
                        > my shack would be all Linux.

                        In point of fact, FreeBSD is faster and more secure than any distro of Linux.

                        Ken W7EKB
                      • Gervais Fillion
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014
                          If i may add,
                          i still have an APRS Igate on,,,,,,,,,Win98Se for the last 3+ years 24/24 and no bugs at ALL.
                          it all depends what you have install and what you are doing with your pc,
                          for me if you have just BPQ32 running,no fancy software what problem do you see ??,,,,,,,what would go wrong!!

                          i still have XP on some machine and i dont care what they are saying!!!!!!

                          they are there to make you buy and buy and buy!!!!!

                          Gervais

                          To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                          From: n9lya@...
                          Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:30:47 -0500

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014
                            On 17 Feb 2014 at 19:11, Gervais Fillion wrote:

                            > If i may add,i still have an APRS Igate on,,,,,,,,,Win98Se for the last 3+ years
                            > 24/24 and no bugs at ALL.it all depends what you have install and what you are
                            > doing with your pc,for me if you have just BPQ32 running,no fancy software what
                            > problem do you see ??,,,,,,,what would go wrong!! i still have XP on some
                            > machine and i dont care what they are saying!!!!!! they are there to make you
                            > buy and buy and buy!!!!!

                            If your computer is operating "stand-alone" with no connection to the internet,
                            and you don't stick memory sticks or thumb drives into it which have been used
                            on another computer which IS connected to the internet, you won't need to
                            worry about XP-Pro needing a security update.

                            Ken W7EKB
                          • Charles Brabham

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014
                                True they are discontinuing support that doesn't mean the OS will stop working. If your going to continue using it as the shack computer and want to also have it hooked to the internet I'll share the following recommendations:

                                1) stop using IE and replace it with Firefox, Chrome, or Opera browsers.
                                2) if you use Outlook Express replace it with Thunderbird.
                                3) If you've been trusting Microsoft Security Essentials - Stop and replace with AVG, Avast, or Comodo Free versions. I;ve often heard "Trust Microsoft since the know Windows best." I say "They are the ones who left the flaws in Windows so you shouldn't trust them now!"
                                4) run the system behind a NAT router, usually provided by ISP.
                                5) If you want a system to run in a DMZ then run Linux instead or newer version of Windows.
                                My station is n2ohh.
                              • Don Poaps
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014
                                  John and Group

                                  I'm thinking of getting a raspberry PI with TNC. My window boxes are all all XP.
                                  Should I be using a Standalone box. I'm attempting to set up on my main PC which has my Pactor, dead Paccom TNC on it. With my Winlink RMS, AWG express and s

                                  On Monday, February 17, 2014, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

                                  Chuck,

                                  There is already a Linux version of BPQ (LinBPQ), and the Windows version works on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 and Win8.

                                  There are some notes on installing Linbpq here

                                  installing linbpq | bpq32wiki

                                  --
                                  Don Poaps
                                  New Westminster, BC

                                • Don Poaps
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 17, 2014
                                    Fat fingers...

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 18, 2014
                                      I would echo these sentiments 100% - whilst they may leave you a bit vulnerable still if you use the machine for online gaming (unlikely to be still using XP in any case) or use on social media sites like twitter or facebook - for the sort of use we have for running amateur radio software and emails and occasional surfing, XP will remain perfectly safe.

                                      One further precaution you should take is to make sure that (as is always advised) important documents and possibly configuration files for things like bpq and ui-view are kept backed up regularly, then should you have the misfortune to have to reinstall windows you can easily get back to where you were.....

                                      Mike........

                                      On 18/02/2014 00:57, n2ohh@... wrote:
[...]

                                      g8jhe@...
                                    • Charles Brabham
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 18, 2014
                                        I have internet access on my BBS computer, but only switch it on when I
                                        intend to download new or updated software.

                                        The rest of the time there is literally no need for internet access, as
                                        I use amateur radio for my amateur radio activities. - I am a not into
                                        virtual amateur radio, only the real thing is of any interest here.

                                        My SGARN HF multicast server runs in an XP box. I use internet access
                                        with that machine long enough to download the latest ARRL bulletins,
                                        then I simply disconnect the ethernet connection until the next time I
                                        want to update the ARRL bulls, or update my FL software. ( FLDIGI, FLAMP )

                                        This provides a high level of security. The system is disconnected from
                                        the internet except for perhaps five minutes a day, and I use
                                        non-Microsoft ( Thunderbird, Firefox ) software when it is online.

                                        The occasional XP upgrades only serve to annoy, I'll be glad when they
                                        no longer tie up my system and force me to be online when I don't want
                                        to with my XP box. ( An old Acer netbook )

                                        So from my perspective, XP being unsupported will be a feature, not a bug.

                                        73 DE Charles, N5PVL
                                      • Don Rolph
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 18, 2014
                                          One simple change to programming approach would make this discussion moot: use a OS independent environment.

                                          JAVA is one possibility.  Python perhaps another.

                                          Then we choose the operating system we like rather than the one imposed by the developer.

                                          Sent from my iPad

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 18, 2014

                                            Chuck,

                                            I use XUbuntu on my 386 machines and Raspian (a version of Debian) on my Raspberry PIs and BeagleBone Black. I'm not suggesting they better that others, but they work fine for me.

                                            ps

                                            Thanks for the comment on the docs - I'm intending to convert all the docs to wiki format, but it will take a while!