Re: Some stats/logs - BPQ32 & RMS Packet failures

  • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
      John thanks for taking a look at it. Yeap, it seems to run along
      nicely till the glitch strikes. I'll run some more tests when I get a
      chance and likely drop my "bug report" onto the RMS mailing list. I'm
      also curious to see what Jay WS7I comes up with this weekend in his
      testing as I think he's seen similar glitches and has some high speed
      ports on his setup.

      I'm no expert, you don't want me writing code(grin), but I tend to
      think that RMS is randomly choking (for lack of a better word) on the
      data stream from BPQ, especially on the larger transfers. Maybe a
      delay on the telnet side of things causes a "data backlog" that in the
      right moment can trigger it. Buffering problem in RMS?

      I don't think I've ever seen it happen on small messages, but I could
      be wrong. I'll create some more test messages of various sizes and
      throw them at it. I'd also like to examine the time frames involved,
      but I think it's random and only when it's under a bit more stress
      from a non-1.2k rf feed..but I can't prove that.

      The RMS Packet software is pretty much beta stuff from what I gather.
      New versions are being released fairly frequently. I know at one time
      one of the RMS developers was on this list and was working on getting
      a native option for connecting to BPQ. You can see that it's been
      started, but not ready yet (grayed out). Maybe the AGW interface code
      in it is currently just a loose framework that is far from complete
      and that works for light duty stuff, but still needs a lot of "real
      world" debugging done on it? Maybe just timing issues in the code that
      don't even show up at 1200 baud (where the bulk of folks are), but who
      knows.

      John, nice work on BPQ32! I was originally looking at using FLexNet,
      but it looks to be stagnated and no longer supported by the original
      developers. Probably my only feature request for BPQ32 would be a way
      to log with date/time stamp all the switch traffic to daily log files.
      Maybe a log to disk option sysops could enable in the terminal program
      as it would be a good start as traffic on it is already time stamped.
      Thanks for your efforts on BPQ32.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO