access by browser

  • markkq0i
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2014
      I have set up access to BPQ via browser on port 8080, and it works fine as long as I click on "terminal" after connecting.  But if I click on either "chat server pages" or "mail server pages" , it refuses my ID and password dta.

      Anybody else have this problem ... and solved it?  Is it a program glitch or have I not set something up correctly?

      Thanks for the help.

      73 Mark, KQ0I
      Maquoketa, Iowa

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2014

        Mark,

        You most likely don't have the sysop flag set on the user record in the TelnetServer configuration. Access to the node pages doesn't need it, as they can't change anything. You should have something like:

        USER=john,password,g8bpq,,SYSOP

        73, John

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2014
          John, thanks for the explanation on the telnet access via browser.  it's a bit
          troublesome to think of giving SYSOP privileges to some hams I might
          not know all that well.  Does it open me up to giving them the ability to make
          changes to my system that I might not want?
          73 Mark

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 15, 2014

            Mark

            You should only give sysop access to those you trust. The chat server pages" and  "mail server pages" are for access to the configuration pages, not for user access to Mail or Chat.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2014
              John, Yes, thanks for the verification.  I just need to make it clear to new users that
              they have to start through the "terminal" access and we'll be fine.  That clears it up
              for me.

              73 Mark