Home BBS and QTH, Zip prompts

  • n4znv
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2014
      My approach to using BPQ32 does not need a Home BBS or QTH, Zip Code information for users. (at least not at this time)

      Is there a way to turn off these prompts when a person connects to the BBS. Normally they disappear after entering data in the fields.

      I have looked in all files I could think of to find the location to Rem out the prompts but have been unsuccessful.

      Anyone have any ideas?

      Thanks very much.

      Mike
      N4ZNV
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2014

        Mike.

        There is no way to turn off these prompts. It wouldn’t be too difficult to add an option to suppress them.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 11, 2014
          Hi John,

          If it wasn't a heavy coding issue I think it would be a big help. If it really isn't needed then we waste valuable transmit time sending the information on each connect.

          Having an option would be very nice indeed.

          Thank you very much.

          Mike

          > Mike.
          >

          > There is no way to turn off these prompts. It wouldn't be too difficult to
          > add an option to suppress them.

        • Jay WS7I

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2014

              Why would you Note what BBS, QTH & zip code information from users that intend

              On using your BBS if that is what it really is?

              Mike N9PMO

              BPQ32 Group Moderator

              My approach to using BPQ32 does not need a Home BBS or QTH, Zip Code information for users.  (at least not at this time)

              Is there a way to turn off these prompts when a person connects to the BBS.  Normally they disappear after entering data in the fields.

              I have looked in all files I could think of to find the location to Rem out the prompts but have been unsuccessful.

              Anyone have any ideas?

              Thanks very much.

              Mike

              N4ZNV

              <*> Your email settings:

                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:

                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • n4znv
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2014
                To answer that, it is a special application and does not require a home bbs to be placed in use.

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 12, 2014

                  Ok, Mike.

                  It should be in the next version. It will probably be controlled by a command line parameter to BPQMail. I don’t think enough people would need it to justify adding to both GUI config systems.

                  If it wasn't a heavy coding issue I think it would be a big help. If it really isn't needed then we waste valuable transmit time sending the information on each connect.

                  Having an option would be very nice indeed.

                  Thank you very much.

                  Mike

                  > Mike.
                  >

                  > There is no way to turn off these prompts. It wouldn't be too difficult to
                  > add an option to suppress them.

                • Charles Brabham
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 12, 2014
                    This has been a bit of an issue here, as I participate in a mailbox network on 40m where propagation is iffy at best. For this, I know by monitoring the frequency what calls to expect, and enter the information manually before they ever connect, listing the mailbox call for that individual to satisfy the requirement for the HomeBBS entry.

                    Being able to turn all of that off will simplify things, and make BPQ32 more viable for the personal mailbox application.

                    73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                    It should be in the next version. It will probably be controlled by a command line parameter to BPQMail. I don’t think enough people would need it to justify adding to both GUI config systems.

                    If it wasn't a heavy coding issue I think it would be a big help. If it really isn't needed then we waste valuable transmit time sending the information on each connect.

                    Having an option would be very nice indeed.

                    Thank you very much.

                    Mike

                    > Mike.
                    >

                    > There is no way to turn off these prompts. It wouldn't be too difficult to
                    > add an option to suppress them.

                  • n4znv
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 12, 2014
                      Thanks, John.

                      A command line switch makes sense and will work just fine.

                      I appreciate your consideration.

                      Best Regards,

                      Mike

                      > Ok, Mike.
                      >

                      > It should be in the next version. It will probably be controlled by a
                      > command line parameter to BPQMail. I don't think enough people would need it
                      > to justify adding to both GUI config systems.

                    • Hannes Hanekom
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 12, 2014

                        Hi John,

                        I would also like to be able to turn these off in linbpq as I am currently using the bbs function as a personal mailbox.

                        Thanks for your consideration.

                        Regards

                        Hannes
                        ZL1LW.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 12, 2014

                          Hannes.

                          It is in the latest linbpq/pilinbpq (uploaded today). Add nohomebbs to the command line. It will be in the next release of Windows BPQ32, which I hope will be out later this week.