Raspberry Pi question

  • g8jhe
    Message 1 of 36 , Dec 27, 2013
      Having been given a Pi for Xmas I am considering it's use as a stand alone APRS unit using BPQ32. It's been quite a while since I played with any form of linux - the last was UBUNTU about 4 years ago!. Firstly is what I am considering feasible (I must admit to having not followed the BPQ/Pi thread very closely since I didn't have one and was not considering buying one for myself :) ). Secondly, there seem to be a few flavours of linux available - the predominant one being Rasbian - for the Pi, any thoughts on preferences for use with BPQ32?

      Please don't get too technical at this stage, my linux is very rusty (although I'm sure it will come back to me when I get it all working), but any advice at all would be most welcome.

      Thanks, Mike, g8jhe........
    • Robert Stiles
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 20 2:37 PM
        Yes, understand. One of the things that been chaffing me is the lack of a digital sstv program on the macintosh. I thought I found one recently. QSSTV is a Linux program the makes use of QT4 :-}. Compile wonderfully right up to the point they use an OS specific  audio driver :-(.  So it does go both ways. I haven’t gotten desperate enough write a driver (using port audio) yet, still need to see what other non portable issue remain before tackling it. Otherwise FLDIGI and local programing keeps me quite busy.

        Although I’d be interested in taking a peek at the code in Winmor myself.

        Robert

        On Mar 20, 2014, at 4:13 PM, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

        Robert,

        As far as I know, Rick didn't know that there would be as much interesting in using it on other platforms as there is now when he started writing WINMOR; also, using Mono and PortAudio, the current version could be run on Linux and MacOS with minimal changes. The main issues that exist at this time are ones that essentially preclude much further development of that protocol; a new one, written specifically to run on all three (using .NET/Mono) is probably the wisest course of action.

        Matthew Pitts
        N8OHU