RMS and BPQ32?

  • kd6pgi
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 14, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I was told that it is possible to BPQ32 to give RMS Packet some
      forwarding ability. I have BPQ32 running just fine. Does anyone have
      some decent instructions for how to get RMS Packet setup in BPQ32 so
      that they talk to each other? How to setup bpqcfg and RMS Packet?

      RMS Packet by itself will not do forwarding to another RMS apcket
      station in the event the RMS Packet station has no internet
      connection. It would be great if BPQ could forward traffic on to
      another RMS Packet station when that happens instead of rejecting the
      message. At least then, emergency traffic could still get through the
      system. Thanks in advance.

      Ken
    • Kenneth Cook
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 14, 2008

        Hi Ken,

        I am the other Ken. Seems that we are working toward the same idea and goal. I didn’t like the answers and attitude about the way RMS Packet and Relay work together. I really believe that it is not that big of a deal at add forwarding to RMS Packet Server to another RMS Packet server. I may be barking up the wrong tree. You will never know if you do not try. Maybe we will find the answers together. Winlink is a great tool. It just needs a little more flexibility.

        Kenneth Cook, W8DZN

        5726 Timpson Rd.

        Caledonia, Ohio 43314

        Emergency Coordinator Crawford Co., Ohio

        ARRL VE, ARRL Registered, Certified Instructor/Examiner

        for ECOMM Levels I, II and III

        ICS-100, ICS-200, ICS700 and ICS-800 Certified.

        W8DZN Repeaters in Bucyrus , Ohio

        Repeaters 147.165 PL88.5 & 442.525 PL88.5

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 14, 2008

          Hi Guys…

          \

          RMS Packet and Packlink MP will function as you desire with or without BPQ32.. BPQ32 does however add a multitude of additional options…

          If I ever get my system back online after the problems I had a week ago .. I can show you how it works.. And allow you to connect and have a look…

          Hopefully yet today I will have my station back on AIR???

          I know others here on the reflector have done so..

          773 jerry

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 14, 2008

            Good morning Ken & Ken

            Yes RMS will communicate with BPQ32, it appears that Rick KN6KB has added the option to use the

            AGWtoBPQ.EXE how ever I haven’t seen any documentation on it, I have tried his option and it does

            Work, how ever the ports that will be used in BPQ end up being Masked.

            Here is the method I used before the subject really came up, I made a copy of the AGWPE.INI, placed

            This file in the BPQ Root directory, edit for the number of BPQ Ports, and TCP port most of us use 8001

            On RMD File/Packet Channels, AGW Packet Engine Call Sign Must Be the same as APPLXCALL= as

            In RMS usually SSID-10, Engine IP Port 8001, Path to AGWPE use the Browse button navigate to

            BPQ/AGWtoBPQ.EXE, next check use AGW Packet Engine on remote computer, click the Update this channel

            Button, this can be done with out checking the Remote box, but this way the BPQ Ports will show up

            In the Selected Port:

            Fill in the required info below, use the Update for each channel change, when finished close and restart.

            Ok now comes the confusing part You will NOT be using AGWPE unless you want to, it is not needed,

            The AGWtoBPQ.EXE is a AGWPE look a like for programs that require AGWPE, I don’t know if ether

            Of you are using another program for a BBS, example would be WFBB WinFBB WinPack etc. this makes

            A difference as how to edit the bpqcfg.txt and the Mask Value.

            If you both let us know one of us from the group will help you out on this part, I will be gone most of

            The day, possibly Ron or John can help with the APPLXCALL= position and Mask value.

            One thing remember RMS is just a gateway to the Winlink CMS via internet,  to send messages back

            One would need Packlink MP, Airmail Outpost as Jerry just explained.

            Give me a few minutes and I will place a AGWPE.INI in the files section on the reflector.

            Sorry to be In a rush.

            73

            Mike Melnik

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 18, 2008
              Thanks for the info...as soon as I get a chance, I'll give it a try.
              Now does this mean that RMS Packet will show up on the node list?

              > Good morning Ken & Ken
              >

              > Yes RMS will communicate with BPQ32, it appears that Rick KN6KB has
              added
              > the option to use the
              >
              > AGWtoBPQ.EXE how ever I haven't seen any documentation on it, I have
              tried
              > his option and it does
              >
              > Work, how ever the ports that will be used in BPQ end up being Masked.
              >

              > Here is the method I used before the subject really came up, I made
              a copy
              > of the AGWPE.INI, placed
              >
              > This file in the BPQ Root directory, edit for the number of BPQ
              Ports, and
              > TCP port most of us use 8001
              >
              > On RMD File/Packet Channels, AGW Packet Engine Call Sign Must Be the
              same
              > as APPLXCALL= as
              >
              > In RMS usually SSID-10, Engine IP Port 8001, Path to AGWPE use the
              Browse
              > button navigate to
              >
              > BPQ/AGWtoBPQ.EXE, next check use AGW Packet Engine on remote computer,
              > click the Update this channel
              >
              > Button, this can be done with out checking the Remote box, but this
              way the
              > BPQ Ports will show up
              >
              > In the Selected Port:
              >

              > Fill in the required info below, use the Update for each channel change,
              > when finished close and restart.
              >

              > Ok now comes the confusing part You will NOT be using AGWPE unless
              you want
              > to, it is not needed,
              >
              > The AGWtoBPQ.EXE is a AGWPE look a like for programs that require
              AGWPE, I
              > don't know if ether
              >
              > Of you are using another program for a BBS, example would be WFBB WinFBB
              > WinPack etc. this makes
              >
              > A difference as how to edit the bpqcfg.txt and the Mask Value.
              >

              > If you both let us know one of us from the group will help you out
              on this
              > part, I will be gone most of
              >
              > The day, possibly Ron or John can help with the APPLXCALL= position and
              > Mask value.
              >

              > One thing remember RMS is just a gateway to the Winlink CMS via
              internet,
              > to send messages back
              >
              > One would need Packlink MP, Airmail Outpost as Jerry just explained.
              >

              > Give me a few minutes and I will place a AGWPE.INI in the files
              section on
              > the reflector.
              >

              > Sorry to be In a rush.
              >

              > 73
              >

              > Mike Melnik

            • kd6pgi
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 19, 2008
                Okay,

                I have managed to get BPQ32 running with AGWPE controlling my TNC
                (that's the way it runs with RMS Packet). I can make connects to other
                nodes, packet stations, etc through the switch without any problems.
                So, I know the BPQ/AGWPE combo is working correctly.

                Now, how to add in RMS to the config so that it shows up on the list
                and talks to the BPQ switch? At this point, I am not trying to run any
                BBS or other software, just the RMS Packet program (I might do a BBS
                in the future, we'll see). What would be the correct settings for RMS
                Packet to talk to BPQ32. I read the below instructions, but I am using
                AGWPE not the AGQtoBPQ to control the TNC. Or are the instructions the
                same?

                Ken

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 19, 2008

                  Ken

                  Send me the following information:

                  Node Call

                  Node Alias

                  Winlink Call assume -10

                  I will write the BPQCFG.TXT and a BPQAXIP.CFG for you, with the correct mask value.

                  You don’t need to use AGWPE how ever this is up to you, BPQ has an AGWPE look a like (AGWtoBPQ.EXE)

                  That will accomplish the same as AGWPE.

                  Mike Melnik

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 14, 2008
                    I've been working on a direct interface between RMS Packet and BPQ32, in
                    conjunction with the RMS developers. This is in addition to the existing
                    AGWPE interface, which can be used via AGWtoBPQ. I'm looking for a few
                    volunteers to test the new code.

                    73, John G8BPQ
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 14, 2008

                      I will be more then happy to try the code for you.

                      Mike Melnik N9PMO

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 14, 2008
                        I'd be happy to beta test for you.

                        Right now, I am running AGWtoBPQ which has been up for a couple of
                        months without any problems.

                        - Mark K2CAN

                        John Wiseman wrote:

                        > I've been working on a direct interface between RMS Packet and BPQ32, in
                        > conjunction with the RMS developers. This is in addition to the existing
                        > AGWPE interface, which can be used via AGWtoBPQ. I'm looking for a few
                        > volunteers to test the new code.
                        >
                        > 73, John G8BPQ
                      • K.O. Higgs
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 14, 2008
                          You can count me in..

                          73, K.O. N0KFQ

                          --

                          K.O. Higgs
                          n0kfq@...
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 14, 2008
                            I can test the code John. Also fwiw my tests this weekend with agw were inconsistent.

                            73 Jay

                            On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 4:41 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

                            I've been working on a direct interface between RMS Packet and BPQ32, in
                            conjunction with the RMS developers. This is in addition to the existing
                            AGWPE interface, which can be used via AGWtoBPQ. I'm looking for a few
                            volunteers to test the new code.

                            73, John G8BPQ

                            --
                            Jay WS7I

                          • David Wagner WA2DXQ
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 14, 2008
                              John,

                              I am just about to add BPQ to my RMS so I can test it without problem.

                              Only thing is I have few users on packet and it would not get a hard
                              workout.

                              Dave
                              WA2DXQ

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 14, 2008

                                Good Evening Group

                                I tried John’s AGWPE interface, and works great, myself I am having a bit of problems with too many programs

                                On one computer, aside from my overloaded computer the interface was easy to install.

                                Great Job John.

                                Mike Melnik N9PMO

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 15, 2008

                                  Hi John.. I would like to try it as well..

                                  73 Jerry N9LYA