RE: [BPQ32] Re: Where to Start?

  • Kenneth Cook
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008

      Let us see if I at least part of the understanding here.

      Of the four RF ports anyone connecting to a port will be directed to the requested service based on the –SSID. Correct?

      If this is true what is Port5? How does one setup Internet connection? Is there a program to setup the –SSID or are they seen by BPQ and switched. I really do not mean to be so stupid. I wish I could find some in depth documentation to learn from and exercise my brain.

      Thank you for the reply and help.

      Kenneth Cook, W8DZN

      5726 Timpson Rd.

      Caledonia, Ohio 43314

      Emergency Coordinator Crawford Co., Ohio

      ARRL VE, ARRL Registered, Certified Instructor/Examiner

      for ECOMM Levels I, II and III

      ICS-100, ICS-200, ICS700 and ICS-800 Certified.

      W8DZN Repeaters in Bucyrus , Ohio

      Repeaters 147.165 PL88.5 & 442.525 PL88.5

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008

        Thanks.. I am going to look into your links.

        Kenneth Cook, W8DZN

        size=2 width="100%" align=center tabindex=-1>

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008

          Hi Ken

          First always feel free to ask questions, I had to start at the bottom also, yes you are correct on the SSID

          The BBS is just N9PMO

          The AR-Cluster is N9PMO-6

          The CC-Cluster connection to Ron N5IN Cluster is N9PMO-4

          The RMS Program used as a Gateway to Winlink Servers is N9PMO-10

          Last is my Node Call N9PMO-2

          I did forget to mention that many programs such as all the FBB, WinPack, and several others do not have

          A Network Node System, I MSYS has its own network node, and I believe W0RLI BBS also does now possibly

          J and T-NOS and openBCM may have their own network node system as part of the program,

          BPQ not only being a switch is also a stand alone Network Node, both RF and Internet referred as AXIP,

          AX is the AX25 radio network node IP is the internet side of AX=AXIP the nationwide AXIP Node Network

          For the most part is UDP Port 10093 this links hundreds of Nodes in and outside of the US.

          The port 5 is my AXIP Port, I have 5 UDP Ports to link Nodes together, this will allow Communications

          ether just plain key board to key board or Bulletin/Message forwarding.

          The AXIP isn’t used much for forwarding as it does have one draw back, the Paclength has a limit of 256

          So most of us use the other side of the Internet (Telnet) these are TCP Ports the Packlength is around

          4K to transfers is much faster.

          John G8BPQ placed some Web Sites that may give a better description, again the few purposes I just

          Mentioned, are only a few of the operations that the BPQ Switch can handle.

          Many stations using BPQ may not even have a BBS but only DX Clusters, it is up to the individual

          how far he/She would like to go with their station.

          If you would like and you have broadband internet send me a E-Mail, I will more then happy

          To give you the information how to access my station, the only program that doesn’t

          Require a pass word is the AR-Cluster, you would telnet in connecting to n9pmo.dyndns.org on port 23.

          73

          Mike Melnik

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 14, 2008
            John,
            Thank you for responding.
            From your quoted description it seems that BPQ32 will allow me to meet
            my goal of setting up a multiuser mailbox for our local club.
            I plan to start with VHF-RF then add UHF and finally perhaps telco and
            internet access.
            From what I gather WinFBB seems to be the standard BBS for linking
            with BPQ32, and I am reading the setup instructions for this.

            Thanks again,
            Mike, N3XPD

            > A somewhat difficult question to answer, as it depends where you are
            > starting from!
            >
            > The first line of the documentation at http://www.g8bpq.org.uk/:
            >
            > "BPQ32 allows a computer running under Microsoft WindowsR to act as
            a Node
            > in a NET/ROM compatible AX25 network, and to support a multiuser
            Mailbox, or
            > other similar applications"
            >
            > If Node, ax.25 and NET/ROM mean something to you, then the above
            > documentation may be a good place to start. If not, you first need
            some sort
            > of primer on Ham Radio Networking. A quick saerch with Google found the
            > following: (amongst many others)
            >
            > http://www.tapr.org/pr_whypacketradio.html
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AX.25
            >

            > Good luck!
            >
            > 73, John G8BPQ

          • Mike Warner
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 14, 2008
              Mike,
              Thank you for you response.

              I now have a basic test BPQ32 node running in my basement with only
              one port on VHF with a kiss tnc and an HT.
              Now on to setup of WinFBB.

              Thanks again,
              Mike, N3XPD