Config File Issue

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2013
      All:

      I'm not sure why, but BPQ32 does not respond to changes made to the
      configuration file. In fact, I can remove the config file from the BPQ32
      directory and the configuration stays the same.

      Any ideas?

      Tony
    • Jay WS7I

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2013
          Jay:

          My thought is that you have two bpq32 directories.

          Searched the PC and found only one director and one config file.

          Very strange.

          Tony

          On 12/12/2013 2:50 PM, Tony wrote:

          All:

          I'm not sure why, but BPQ32 does not respond to changes made to the
          configuration file. In fact, I can remove the config file from the BPQ32
          directory and the configuration stays the same.

          Any ideas?

          Tony

        • K.O. Higgs
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12, 2013
            When you make a change to the config.sys file, re-start BPQ32.

            K.O. n0kfq

            --

            K.O. Higgs
            n0kfq@...

          • Ron Stordahl
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 13, 2013
              From your desktop click on 'start' or the 'start symbol' to open the program files list.  In that list you will find BPQ32.  Click on it and you will get a drop down list of the various BPQ32 components, among them will be "View Configuration Folder".

              That is where your bpq32.cfg is supposed to be.

              You must have different bpq32.cfg's in more than one location.

              Ron, AE5E

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 13, 2013
                Tony,

                If you are certain there isn't another bpq32.cfg anywhere, make sure bpq has closed completely before restarting. Use task manager, or to be really sure reboot.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 14, 2013
                  All:

                  > I'm not sure why, but BPQ32 does not respond to changes made to the
                  > configuration file. In fact, I can remove the config file from the BPQ32
                  > directory and the configuration stays the same.
                  >
                  > Any ideas? Tony

                  Turns out BPQ32 reads the configuration file from Application Data\BPQ32
                  instead of the program file directory. I found this out the hard way
                  after upgrading from an older version.

                  Tony
                • n9acq
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 14, 2013

                    ALL

                                    BPQ asks for 2 install directories. I set both for the same install locations. Uninstall and then reinstall as mentioned.

                    73 Bill

                    N9ACQ

                  • Ron Stordahl
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 14, 2013
                      I rewrote the installer 2 years ago to comply with Microsoft recommendations, which are to install the program files  in %programfiles% and application data in %appdata%.  These locations differ depending upon the OS.

                      When using the installer defaults these locations are used, except in the case where the installation was made prior to the enhanced installer or where the user had purposely selected other locations.  In this later case the installer continues to use the 'old' locations...this was a choice to reduce user confusion...it may not have been the ideal choice.

                      You can readily see right now where your BPQ32 files are located.  From the program list, in XP for example it is all 'all programs'.  In this list you will see BPQ32 as a folder, if you select it you will see a drop down list.  This list will include 'View Configuration Folder' as well as 'View Program Folder'.  These are the locations used for your particular install.

                      If these locations are not the default location, you can do as follows to move your installation, without loss, to the MS recommended locations should you wish.  Proceed as follows:

                      1) Uninstall BPQ32 using the 'Uninstall' shortcut in the BPQ32 program drop down list, or if you prefer go to the standard uninstall function in the Control Panel.

                      2) After doing 1) your system will have removed most of BPQ32, but will have retained your configuration and associated BPQ32 data files, such as BBS mail.

                      3) Do a fresh install, but this time let the installer pick all the defaults.

                      4) Once completed your installation will be MS compliant, programfiles will be in %programfiles% and application data (which includes configurations) will be in %appdata%.

                      This procedure will automatically move your current configuration to the preferred locations, however if you have somehow duplicate locations, perhaps a relic of the past, they may still be lingering.  If so you will have to find them manually and delete them.

                      It wouldn't hurt to back up your system before you do this.  I would use Clonezilla to make an image.  I did thoroughly test the BPQ32 install/uninstall/install process, but I suppose someone will find a bug.  In two years I have not heard that anyone has found a problem with this procedure however.

                      Ron, AE5E