Various questions.

  • kb5hav
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 7, 2013

      Greetings Everyone,

      And I am happy to have found this user group!  After searching for some answers and coming up empty, I thought I’d go ahead and send a letter.

      I am in the process of rebuilding my Packet BBS and adding a WL2K port.  Interest in my area, central Mississippi, including the whole state, seems to have a renewed interest into Packet, especially with regards to emergency communications.  A primary interest of mine is that of what we would do should the internet go down?  Certain information that is needed in print form only, not for voice, would be seriously delayed, or misquoted or transcribed at worse.

      I previously owned and operated central Mississippi’s only Full Service Packet BBS (early 1991 to late 2003).  I began using MSYS 1.17 then later moved to FBB 5.15 and kept upgrading as the software evolved.

      My last PBBS setup consisted of the following:

      • Computer:  P5-200MMX. 2.5 GB HD, 32 MB RAM
             Operating System:  Win98SE
             Software:                FBB 7.00g25
                                           BPQ 4.08a
      • TNC:   MFJ-1270C (2 ea) to operate on 145.010 and 105.710 MHz
                  AEA PK-232MBX for HF forwarding
                  Phone Modem or DSL for TELNET forwarding.

      Considering most PBBS’s back then were at least 200+ miles or more away, forwarding had to be accomplished either by HF or TELNET.

      Given the fact today’s computers are can’t run Win98SE, namely because of hard drive size and various device drivers from back in the day, I am forced to use WinXP (32 bit) machines.  I suppose I could try Linux but I know nothing at all about that operating system.  Also, the computers I have do not have a 9 pin serial connector.  Thankfully, aftermarket 2 to 4 port serial PCI cards can be found for around $35.00 dollars or so.

      My plans are to run FBB 7.00i (16 bit version), unless 7.01.35 would be better, on a WinXP SP3 (32 bit) box and that of the latest version of BPQ32.  The latter will be a new learning curve.

      I have a few questions that I am in hopes this user group can help me with.

      1)   Can BPQ32 talk to USB ports that have TNC’s connected and if so, how do I configure it?

      2)   Can I have BPQ32 to utilize TELNET for BBS forwarding or will FBB still do that by itself?  I didn’t have to do that with BPQ 4.08a.

      3)   I see that BPQ32 can be used in conjunction with a WL2K RMS station, which I do plan to add very soon.  For internet forwarding of that data, will BPQ32 have to be configured in such a manner as to share a TELNET or TCP/IP port for forwarding and not interfere with FBB or vise-versa?

      4)   And lastly, is there an FBB user group?  I would like to talk to some FBB sysops about setup and that of setting up forwarding via HF and/or TCP/IP.  I know, TELNET - TCP/IP is not ham radio, but, sometimes you have to do what you can.

      Any help and/or advice that you can provide is greatly appreciated!

      For now, here’s wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas!

      Sincerely,
      Bobby Graves
      KB5HAV

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2013

        Hi Bobby,

        Welcome back to packet!

        I'd recommend you consider using the BPQ mail server rather than FBB - it is fully integrated with BPQ32 switch, and is still supported and developed.

        However, if you prefer to stick with FBB, I think most BPQ/FBB users use the 16 bit 7.00i. That will work fine on XP, but if you are looking to the future, it isn't easy to buy an new machine with a 32 bit version of Windows (new machines all seem to by Win 8 64 bit) and 16 bit programs can't be run on 64 bit Windows. You can get round this with a Virtual Machine setup, but it gets complicated.

        To answer your questions:

        Yes, BPQ32 can use TNCs connected to USB Serial Ports.. They are configured the same as real ports - on BPQ32 port are addressed by they COM port number, not the IO Address as used on 4.08.

        FBB can use Telnet for forwarding - this is independent of BPQ. If you use BPQ Mail, I recommend using AXIP links for forwarding over the Internet.

        The WL2K RMS Gateway uses different TCP ports from FBB, so there isn't a problem with clashes.

        I don't know of an FBB group, but there are a lot of FBB sysops on this group who I'm sure would be willing to help if you decide to stick with FBB.

        73,

        John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2013

          Hello John,

          It is great to meet the creator of such a great product that has helped so many ham operators around the world!  Your product has certainly been a blessing to me!

          I will certainly take a strong look into the BPQ Mail Server!  I have several add-on’s for FBB that I’ve used in the past that many in my area loved to use.  But, times change and this is a new start, so to speak.

          You are so right in that most new PC’s are coming with either Win7/8 64 bit even though there is still a 32 bit version of both.  I have a lot of software that will not run on my Win7 64bit box.

          Thanks for answering my questions and I will be diving into BPQ32 hot and heavy over the next few days.  If I have any additional questions I’ll certainly speak up.

          Thanks again, 73, and Merry Christmas,

          Bobby
          KB5HAV

        • Vincent
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 8, 2013
            > You are so right in that most new PC’s are coming with either Win7/8
            > 64 bit even though there is still a 32 bit version of both. I have a
            > lot of software that will not run on my Win7 64bit box.
            If you have a Win7 box you can install Virtual XP mode which will give
            you a working 32-bit XP box within a box. I don't know if it will work
            with Win 8 - haven't tried it.

            --

            My station is n2ohh.
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 8, 2013
              Virtual XP mode only works on the professional versions of Win 7 - not the
              Home versions, and doesn't work at all on Win 8

              I use VMWare Player for testing 32 bit software, but it is a bit untidy.

              > You are so right in that most new PC's are coming with either Win7/8
              > 64 bit even though there is still a 32 bit version of both. I have a
              > lot of software that will not run on my Win7 64bit box.
              If you have a Win7 box you can install Virtual XP mode which will give
              you a working 32-bit XP box within a box. I don't know if it will work
              with Win 8 - haven't tried it.

              --

              My station is n2ohh.

              ------------------------------------

              Yahoo Groups Links
            • Dave Webb
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 8, 2013

                On 12/8/2013 7:11 AM, Vincent wrote:
                You are so right in that most new PC’s are coming with either Win7/8
                64 bit even though there is still a 32 bit version of both. I have a
                lot of software that will not run on my Win7 64bit box.

                If you have a Win7 box you can install Virtual XP mode which will give
                you a working 32-bit XP box within a box. I don't know if it will work
                with Win 8 - haven't tried it.

                No it doesn't.
                Dave
                wb2hvf

              • Bob Tenty
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 8, 2013
                  The latest fbb source is 7.05f  at Bernard F6BVP's site who maintains it
                  http://f6bvp.free.fr

                  7.05f can be downloaded from

                  http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/BBS-f6fbb/xd705f-src.tar.bz2
                  You have to compile it yourself.

                  Most running it at Linux nowadays.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 13, 2013

                    Hello John and thanks again for all that you do!

                    I've successfully configured WinFBB 7.00i (16 bit) and BPQ32 and both are running well on my WinXP (32 bit) machine.

                    You mentioned that BPQ will work with USB TNC's such as the MFJ-1270X.  I wanted to verify if this includes WinXP and if you can you tell me what I must to do to make this work?  Also, is there way in which to identify what number each USB port is?

                    My current WinXP box has only one 9 pin serial port and is configured as COMM 1.  I have a couple of open PCI ports so I could purchase either a 2 port or 4 port PCI serial card in order to utilize the 3 TNC's I already have.  Since most of the new TNC’s appear to be USB only or USB and Serial, knowing for sure if BPQ32 and WinXP will work with these TNC’s, and how to configure BPQ for such, would be helpful.

                    I have plans for further expansion to include more ports as well as WL2K.  We have a hamfest coming to my area in late January so I want to be prepared for what to buy when I go.

                    Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

                    73
                    Bobby
                    KB5HAV

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 14, 2013
                      Bobby,

                      The simplest way to find what port a USB device is assigned to is to open device manger before plugging it in, and see what device is added when you plug it in.

                      You use USB COM ports the same way as normal ones - just change the COMPORT param.

                      I haven't had any trouble with USB Ports, but they can get allocated different numbers when plugged into different USB ports, so some people pefer the PCI cards.

                      John

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 14, 2013

                        What John says is true … Like in my case, using a Raspberry Pi and a powered USB hub, one can have a problem as the RPI boots up and allocates USB ports at random to the USB ports …

                        I got around it by linking (locking) say ‘/dev/ttyUSB?’ to a particular physical USB port by using the method below. (I have this in various scripts to remind me!) … Don’t forget to place labels on each physical USB port …

                        #

                        # This method locks serial device names (ttyUSB0) to a physical USB port. Type

                        # 'udevadm info --attribute-walk -p /class/tty/ttyUSB0 | more', then look for

                        # 'KERNELS=="1-1.3.4.4:1.0"', then 'nano /etc/udev/rules.d/100-usbadapter.rules',

                        # add 'SUBSYSTEMS=="usb",KERNELS=="1-1.3.4.4:1.0",NAME="ttyUSBpk232"' to the file.

                        # Let udev reload it's new rules file by typing '/etc/init.d/udev restart'.

                        # Now unplug the USB adapter and put it back in. Check the creation of the extra

                        # symlinked device name (ttyUSBpk232). Type 'ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*'.

                        #

                        The “ttyUSBpk232" Is a name to remind you what the USB link is …  In the LinBPQ config file, use “; COMPORT=/dev/ttyUSBpk232      ; /dev/ttyUSB0.   “ … ‘/dev/ttyUSB0’ is now linked to ‘/dev/ttyUSBpk232’ and the corresponding actual physical USB port will always be locked to /dev/ttyUSB0 …

                        Of course, this only applies to Linux based systems … There is another method for ‘locking’ the USB ports and that is by looking at the unit’s Vendor and serial number and then any physical USB port may be used as ‘/dev/ttyUSB?’ will be linked to the serial number of the appliance being connected (appliance being for example, a TNC (my TNC’s never had serial numbers  that could be seen via it’s com port)) ..

                        73, Dick ZS6RO/ZS1RO/ZS0MEE/M0HMB

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 16, 2013

                          Thanks John and Dick,

                          This information will help me a ton!