Where to Start?

  • Kenneth Cook
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
      Hello,

      Just where does one start to learn about BPQ when they are completely
      dumb about the software? Ok I am talking about myself.

      Thank you,
      Ken W8DZN
    • Mike Warner
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008
        Ken,
        Great question, You are not alone!

        I'm don't have the answer, being new to this myself.

        I've recently installed BPQ32 on an old Win2K PC and am beginning to
        experiment, read files, etc.

        Mike, N3XPD

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008

          Good morning Ken & Mike

          I was hoping John or Ron would chime in on the answer, this is the best way I can explain what the BPQ Switch does

          Look at BPQ as kind of a MAP how to get from the TNC’S, AXIP (internet) Network to the programs

          That are being used by BPQ, This is how my station is set up:

          RF Port 1 145.07 @1200 Radio Baud

          RF Port 2 446.100 @ 9600 Radio Baud

          RF Port 3 145.03 @ 1200 Baud

          RF Port 4 145.05 @ 1200 Baud

          Port 5 AXIP Port

          Now I have the following:

          WFBB, AR-Cluster, RMS, and a connection to N5IN CC-Cluster

          All of the above is accessible via RF AXIP Network and BPQ Telnet threw the BPQ Switch

          If a RF Station connects to N9PMO on a port frequency the switch will connect to my Full Service BBS

          IF N9PMO-6 was used the BPQ Switch will route the user to My AR-Cluster.

          OK that is for incoming, for out going, in the case of by BBS, it makes connections to other RF Stations

          To Transfer Bulletins and or Messages, in the Forwarding Script for each of my Forwarding Partners

          The Port number is added so BPQ again knows who to route those connections.

          If it wasn’t for the BPQ Switch I would need 4 RF Ports along with my 5 Telnet Port in the WFBB

          Using the BPQ Switch I only need one port in my WFBB BBS to connect to BPQ.

          I know this is a brief description of what the BPQ Switch does, It has many more capabilities,

          I hope this helps a bit

          Mike Melnik

          Web Site: http://n9pmo.dyndns.org

          I'm don't have the answer, being new to this myself.

          I've recently installed BPQ32 on an old Win2K PC and am beginning to
          experiment, read files, etc.

          Mike, N3XPD

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Kenneth Cook" <w8dzn@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Just where does one start to learn about BPQ when they are completely
          > dumb about the software? Ok I am talking about myself.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Ken W8DZN

        • Kenneth Cook
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008

            I have been reading any Documentation I can find. I am still lost.

            Kenneth Cook, W8DZN

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008
              A somewhat difficult question to answer, as it depends where you are starting from!

              The first line of the documentation at http://www.g8bpq.org.uk/:

              "BPQ32 allows a computer running under Microsoft Windows® to act as a Node in a NET/ROM compatible AX25 network, and to support a multiuser Mailbox, or other similar applications"

              If Node, ax.25 and  NET/ROM mean something to you, then the above documentation may be a good place to start. If not, you first need some sort of primer on Ham Radio Networking. A quick saerch with Google found the following: (amongst many others)

              Good luck!

              73, John G8BPQ

              I have been reading any Documentation I can find. I am still lost.

              Kenneth Cook, W8DZN

              I'm don't have the answer, being new to this myself.

              I've recently installed BPQ32 on an old Win2K PC and am beginning to
              experiment, read files, etc.

              Mike, N3XPD

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, " Kenneth Cook " <w8dzn@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Just where does one start to learn about BPQ when they are completely
              > dumb about the software? Ok I am talking about myself.
              >
              > Thank you,
              > Ken W8DZN

            • Kenneth Cook
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008

                Let us see if I at least part of the understanding here.

                Of the four RF ports anyone connecting to a port will be directed to the requested service based on the –SSID. Correct?

                If this is true what is Port5? How does one setup Internet connection? Is there a program to setup the –SSID or are they seen by BPQ and switched. I really do not mean to be so stupid. I wish I could find some in depth documentation to learn from and exercise my brain.

                Thank you for the reply and help.

                Kenneth Cook, W8DZN

                5726 Timpson Rd.

                Caledonia, Ohio 43314

                Emergency Coordinator Crawford Co., Ohio

                ARRL VE, ARRL Registered, Certified Instructor/Examiner

                for ECOMM Levels I, II and III

                ICS-100, ICS-200, ICS700 and ICS-800 Certified.

                W8DZN Repeaters in Bucyrus , Ohio

                Repeaters 147.165 PL88.5 & 442.525 PL88.5

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008

                  Thanks.. I am going to look into your links.

                  Kenneth Cook, W8DZN

                  size=2 width="100%" align=center tabindex=-1>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008

                    Hi Ken

                    First always feel free to ask questions, I had to start at the bottom also, yes you are correct on the SSID

                    The BBS is just N9PMO

                    The AR-Cluster is N9PMO-6

                    The CC-Cluster connection to Ron N5IN Cluster is N9PMO-4

                    The RMS Program used as a Gateway to Winlink Servers is N9PMO-10

                    Last is my Node Call N9PMO-2

                    I did forget to mention that many programs such as all the FBB, WinPack, and several others do not have

                    A Network Node System, I MSYS has its own network node, and I believe W0RLI BBS also does now possibly

                    J and T-NOS and openBCM may have their own network node system as part of the program,

                    BPQ not only being a switch is also a stand alone Network Node, both RF and Internet referred as AXIP,

                    AX is the AX25 radio network node IP is the internet side of AX=AXIP the nationwide AXIP Node Network

                    For the most part is UDP Port 10093 this links hundreds of Nodes in and outside of the US.

                    The port 5 is my AXIP Port, I have 5 UDP Ports to link Nodes together, this will allow Communications

                    ether just plain key board to key board or Bulletin/Message forwarding.

                    The AXIP isn’t used much for forwarding as it does have one draw back, the Paclength has a limit of 256

                    So most of us use the other side of the Internet (Telnet) these are TCP Ports the Packlength is around

                    4K to transfers is much faster.

                    John G8BPQ placed some Web Sites that may give a better description, again the few purposes I just

                    Mentioned, are only a few of the operations that the BPQ Switch can handle.

                    Many stations using BPQ may not even have a BBS but only DX Clusters, it is up to the individual

                    how far he/She would like to go with their station.

                    If you would like and you have broadband internet send me a E-Mail, I will more then happy

                    To give you the information how to access my station, the only program that doesn’t

                    Require a pass word is the AR-Cluster, you would telnet in connecting to n9pmo.dyndns.org on port 23.

                    73

                    Mike Melnik

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 14, 2008
                      John,
                      Thank you for responding.
                      From your quoted description it seems that BPQ32 will allow me to meet
                      my goal of setting up a multiuser mailbox for our local club.
                      I plan to start with VHF-RF then add UHF and finally perhaps telco and
                      internet access.
                      From what I gather WinFBB seems to be the standard BBS for linking
                      with BPQ32, and I am reading the setup instructions for this.

                      Thanks again,
                      Mike, N3XPD

                      > A somewhat difficult question to answer, as it depends where you are
                      > starting from!
                      >
                      > The first line of the documentation at http://www.g8bpq.org.uk/:
                      >
                      > "BPQ32 allows a computer running under Microsoft WindowsR to act as
                      a Node
                      > in a NET/ROM compatible AX25 network, and to support a multiuser
                      Mailbox, or
                      > other similar applications"
                      >
                      > If Node, ax.25 and NET/ROM mean something to you, then the above
                      > documentation may be a good place to start. If not, you first need
                      some sort
                      > of primer on Ham Radio Networking. A quick saerch with Google found the
                      > following: (amongst many others)
                      >
                      > http://www.tapr.org/pr_whypacketradio.html
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AX.25
                      >

                      > Good luck!
                      >
                      > 73, John G8BPQ

                    • Mike Warner
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 14, 2008
                        Mike,
                        Thank you for you response.

                        I now have a basic test BPQ32 node running in my basement with only
                        one port on VHF with a kiss tnc and an HT.
                        Now on to setup of WinFBB.

                        Thanks again,
                        Mike, N3XPD