Re: [BPQ32] Anyone still using IP over ax.25?

  • Angela, M1SCH/PE1BIV
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 10, 2008
      Hi John and all,

      As this was sent to both BPQ and Xrouter groups, my reply to both.

      Yes, as currently all my Packet systems, the main BBS as well as the radio
      system and a few more, are running JNOS. I would say that all local radio
      traffic is using IP over AX-25; SMTP, FTP and Telnet.
      However, non of this is using your BPQ software.
      The BBS forwarding is FBB over a telnet connection.

      The network between the systems is pure IP ethernet.
      The BBS is also connected using AXIP to eliminate the need to connect to the
      radio system first for those only using AX-25 packet software.

      I have been busy looking into connecting a (DOS) FBB system using BPQ408,
      but this is something that ended up on the big pile of things to do, or look
      into.
      JNOS, in the correct compilation, is able to talk BPQ, so it should work
      without any problems.
      Currently the only other application using BPQ is a connection to the
      Digi_Ned APRS software, which obviously does not use IP.
      The configuration used here is basically quite ancient and has been running
      for many years.

      Rgs, 73, Angela
    • Miroslav Skoric
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 11, 2008
        John Wiseman wrote:

        > This should be possible, with the users running something like ka9q's NOS
        > package, or possibly linux with the ax.25 stack configured.

        1. Does it mean that software for Window$ could not do that, per default?
        2. Regardless the users' side, what is needed on the server's (IP) side?
        BPQ32 + ...?

        Misko

        > 73, John

      • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 12, 2008
          > Could not swear to it, but I believe that there is a major network ip over
          > ax.25 network in NW Washington (Puget Sound, Seattle, area).

          I can confirm that there was at least one successful linux box to
          linux box PING session over packet in WWA in 2008.. (This was via a
          solar powered digi no less...)

          Beyond that I believe there's one little cluster of 4 machines running
          9600 baud TCP over AX25 independent of the web.. Probably also a few
          ARP packets on the 1200 baud 220 repeater -- if it's still running.

          Oh how far we've degenerated from the good old days....

          Bill - WA7NWP
        • Jerry - N9LYA
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 11 12:40 PM

            I use MSYS on two Windows 98SE laptops with 4 port PCMCIA cards…

            But also have had MSYS working  in XP with a small modification to the compatibility mode of the MSYS.exe and MUTIL.exe

            In fact multiple instances cane ran if more ports are needed..

            73 jerry n9lya

            www.blueriver.net/~n9lya

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 11 12:42 PM

              You can use Nullmodem cables between two real serial ports on a WIN98 Machine.. using MSYS

              73 jerry