RE: [BPQ32] Anyone still using IP over ax.25?

  • D.Calder n4zkf
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 10, 2008
      As do I on 14.098 FBB :)

      73 Dave n4zkf

      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of K.O. Higgs
      Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:21 PM
      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [BPQ32] Anyone still using IP over ax.25?

      John, most folks that are using MSYS in Windows (that I know of) are using
      Win98se. Don't know anyone using WinXP. MSYS runs pretty well in Win98se.
      At least half of the sysops on the two hf nets that I use (14098 and
      10147) are
      using MSYS. I have used MSYS in the past, but now use FBB.

      K.O. N0KFQ

      --

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@centurytel. net

    • Angela, M1SCH/PE1BIV
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 10, 2008
        Hi John and all,

        As this was sent to both BPQ and Xrouter groups, my reply to both.

        Yes, as currently all my Packet systems, the main BBS as well as the radio
        system and a few more, are running JNOS. I would say that all local radio
        traffic is using IP over AX-25; SMTP, FTP and Telnet.
        However, non of this is using your BPQ software.
        The BBS forwarding is FBB over a telnet connection.

        The network between the systems is pure IP ethernet.
        The BBS is also connected using AXIP to eliminate the need to connect to the
        radio system first for those only using AX-25 packet software.

        I have been busy looking into connecting a (DOS) FBB system using BPQ408,
        but this is something that ended up on the big pile of things to do, or look
        into.
        JNOS, in the correct compilation, is able to talk BPQ, so it should work
        without any problems.
        Currently the only other application using BPQ is a connection to the
        Digi_Ned APRS software, which obviously does not use IP.
        The configuration used here is basically quite ancient and has been running
        for many years.

        Rgs, 73, Angela
      • Miroslav Skoric
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 11, 2008
          John Wiseman wrote:

          > This should be possible, with the users running something like ka9q's NOS
          > package, or possibly linux with the ax.25 stack configured.

          1. Does it mean that software for Window$ could not do that, per default?
          2. Regardless the users' side, what is needed on the server's (IP) side?
          BPQ32 + ...?

          Misko

          > 73, John

        • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 12, 2008
            > Could not swear to it, but I believe that there is a major network ip over
            > ax.25 network in NW Washington (Puget Sound, Seattle, area).

            I can confirm that there was at least one successful linux box to
            linux box PING session over packet in WWA in 2008.. (This was via a
            solar powered digi no less...)

            Beyond that I believe there's one little cluster of 4 machines running
            9600 baud TCP over AX25 independent of the web.. Probably also a few
            ARP packets on the 1200 baud 220 repeater -- if it's still running.

            Oh how far we've degenerated from the good old days....

            Bill - WA7NWP
          • Jerry - N9LYA
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 11, 2009

              I use MSYS on two Windows 98SE laptops with 4 port PCMCIA cards…

              But also have had MSYS working  in XP with a small modification to the compatibility mode of the MSYS.exe and MUTIL.exe

              In fact multiple instances cane ran if more ports are needed..

              73 jerry n9lya

              www.blueriver.net/~n9lya

              --

              K.O. Higgs
              n0kfq@...

            • Jerry - N9LYA
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 11, 2009

                You can use Nullmodem cables between two real serial ports on a WIN98 Machine.. using MSYS

                73 jerry