Re: [BPQ32] Anyone still using IP over ax.25?

  • K.O. Higgs
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
      John, most folks that are using MSYS in Windows (that I know of) are using
      Win98se. Don't know anyone using WinXP. MSYS runs pretty well in Win98se.
      At least half of the sysops on the two hf nets that I use (14098 and
      10147) are
      using MSYS. I have used MSYS in the past, but now use FBB.

      K.O. N0KFQ

      --

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
        John Wiseman wrote:

        > I've recently completed some work to add an IP-over-ax.25 to
        > IP-over-ethernet bridge to my bpq32 software, to provide telnet access
        > between the Internet and the MSYS bbs software. It would be reletively
        > simple to produce a more general router/bridge between IP-over-ax.25 and
        > IP-over-ethernet, but there wouldn't be much point if no-one uses IP over
        > ax.25 any more. Is there anyone who would find such software useful?

        Hi John,

        I might be interested in experimenting with access to my university's
        academic Internet connection - using IP-over-ax.25 connection. At the
        university side, there should be a BPQ node computer with an
        IP-over-ax.25 port and wired to their LAN over Ethernet. On the user's
        side, there should be an IP client software /a browser, email client or
        like/ being capable to run with ham radio hardware (kiss TNC or like,
        with/without another BPQ node if needed).

        Can you provide that feature?

        Regards,

        Misko YT7MPB

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
          Misco,

          This should be possible, with the users running something like ka9q's NOS package, or possibly linux with the ax.25 stack configured.

          > I've recently completed some work to add an IP-over-ax.25 to
          > IP-over-ethernet bridge to my bpq32 software, to provide telnet access
          > between the Internet and the MSYS bbs software. It would be reletively
          > simple to produce a more general router/bridge between IP-over-ax.25 and
          > IP-over-ethernet, but there wouldn't be much point if no-one uses IP over
          > ax.25 any more. Is there anyone who would find such software useful?

          Hi John,

          I might be interested in experimenting with access to my university's
          academic Internet connection - using IP-over-ax.25 connection. At the
          university side, there should be a BPQ node computer with an
          IP-over-ax.25 port and wired to their LAN over Ethernet. On the user's
          side, there should be an IP client software /a browser, email client or
          like/ being capable to run with ham radio hardware (kiss TNC or like,
          with/without another BPQ node if needed).

          Can you provide that feature?

          Regards,

          Misko YT7MPB

          > 73,
          > John G8BPQ

        • Charles Brabham
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
            Howdy, Mr. Wiseman!

            IP over AX25 Packet is, from what I understand, utilized in developing countries to link libraries and schools. Here's an old link from 1993 that discusses this usage:

            I haven't kept up with this and do not have more recent info, but you may find this article to be interesting and enjoyable, as I did. I have heard of a more recent article by Greg Jones of TAPR on this subject, but I do not have a link for it.

            73 and thanks for what you do for the hobby DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

          • D.Calder n4zkf
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 10, 2008
              As do I on 14.098 FBB :)

              73 Dave n4zkf

              --

              K.O. Higgs
              n0kfq@centurytel. net

            • Angela, M1SCH/PE1BIV
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 10, 2008
                Hi John and all,

                As this was sent to both BPQ and Xrouter groups, my reply to both.

                Yes, as currently all my Packet systems, the main BBS as well as the radio
                system and a few more, are running JNOS. I would say that all local radio
                traffic is using IP over AX-25; SMTP, FTP and Telnet.
                However, non of this is using your BPQ software.
                The BBS forwarding is FBB over a telnet connection.

                The network between the systems is pure IP ethernet.
                The BBS is also connected using AXIP to eliminate the need to connect to the
                radio system first for those only using AX-25 packet software.

                I have been busy looking into connecting a (DOS) FBB system using BPQ408,
                but this is something that ended up on the big pile of things to do, or look
                into.
                JNOS, in the correct compilation, is able to talk BPQ, so it should work
                without any problems.
                Currently the only other application using BPQ is a connection to the
                Digi_Ned APRS software, which obviously does not use IP.
                The configuration used here is basically quite ancient and has been running
                for many years.

                Rgs, 73, Angela
              • Miroslav Skoric
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 11, 2008
                  John Wiseman wrote:

                  > This should be possible, with the users running something like ka9q's NOS
                  > package, or possibly linux with the ax.25 stack configured.

                  1. Does it mean that software for Window$ could not do that, per default?
                  2. Regardless the users' side, what is needed on the server's (IP) side?
                  BPQ32 + ...?

                  Misko

                  > 73, John

                • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 12, 2008
                    > Could not swear to it, but I believe that there is a major network ip over
                    > ax.25 network in NW Washington (Puget Sound, Seattle, area).

                    I can confirm that there was at least one successful linux box to
                    linux box PING session over packet in WWA in 2008.. (This was via a
                    solar powered digi no less...)

                    Beyond that I believe there's one little cluster of 4 machines running
                    9600 baud TCP over AX25 independent of the web.. Probably also a few
                    ARP packets on the 1200 baud 220 repeater -- if it's still running.

                    Oh how far we've degenerated from the good old days....

                    Bill - WA7NWP
                  • Jerry - N9LYA
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 11 12:40 PM

                      I use MSYS on two Windows 98SE laptops with 4 port PCMCIA cards…

                      But also have had MSYS working  in XP with a small modification to the compatibility mode of the MSYS.exe and MUTIL.exe

                      In fact multiple instances cane ran if more ports are needed..

                      73 jerry n9lya

                      www.blueriver.net/~n9lya

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 11 12:42 PM

                        You can use Nullmodem cables between two real serial ports on a WIN98 Machine.. using MSYS

                        73 jerry