BPQ Telnet Server

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 9, 2008
      I do not think that the 16 bit version of BPQ has a Telnet Server
      available. However, John or Ron may have to correct me on that.

      - Mark K2CAN

      Miroslav Skoric wrote:

      > Mark Harloff wrote:
      >
      > > Yes Misko. Just run BPQ32 Telnet Server on the
      > > BPQ32 machine. You can telnet into that and
      > > connect over to the DOS BPQ machine.
      > >

      > Mark, thank you for suggestion! Will try that ... just wondered if DOS
      > BPQ can be telnet-ed directly...
      >
      > Misko YT7MPB
      >
      > > - Mark K2CAN
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 9, 2008

        > Mark, thank you for suggestion! Will try that ... just wondered if
        DOS
        > BPQ can be telnet-ed directly...
        >
        > Misko YT7MPB

        Hi Misko,

        If you require a "DOS only solution" to needing to be able to Telnet
        from RF & you cannot find a "BPQ solution", there is "G8PZT Xrouter
        for DOS v1.87". This program does many things that 16 bit DOS BPQ
        does and many more things like TCP/IP, APRS IGATE, APRS Digipeating,
        Chat services & Netrom nodes. There is a Yahoo group for Xrouter
        where files may be obtained.

        Yes, there is a network of Xrouter nodes in ZL (linked by a VPN over
        internet) doing Amateur "44" TCP/IP over AX25 RF. They support the RF
        F6FBB ZL BBS network by frequently being the means for forwarding "P"
        mail & Bulletins. By further VPN connections AXIP/AXUDP over
        internet, the ZL Xrouters are connected to UK, VK Xrouters & some
        JNOS nodes.
        RF users in locations without a BBS frequently use Telnet to access a
        remote BBS or DX Spider Cluster node. Often the BBS are located in an
        Amateur Radio club building that does not have any telephone line or
        broadband ADSL internet.
        Note the DOS G8PZT Xrouter will not run a BBS program in the same PC.
        My local BBS has two PCs, one for DOS Xrouter and one for DOS F6FBB,
        running over BPQ408a, connected by Ethernet cable to each other.

        73 de Michael ZL1ABS

        Co-Sysop ZL1AB North Shore Branch 29 BBS
      • K.O. Higgs
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
          I am running both FBB 7.00i and BPQMailChat on the same XP Pro computer. I am also running RMS Packet with BPQMailChat. I am NOT running the Chat function. I am using the Telnet function of FBB.

          My question: Can I also run BPQ Telnet Server? Are there any special precautions? Anything extra that I need to be aware of using telnet on both FBB and BPQ?

          73,  K.O. N0KFQ
          --

          K.O. Higgs
          n0kfq@...

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
            K.O

            Nothing special except that you can not have the duplicate port
            If you are going to connect from FBB to BPQ telnet server you would
            Setup the file similar to the following

            C C N9PMO 192.168.0.105 8011
            V N9PMO$W######$WPMOBBS

            Where 192.168.0.105 is the LAN Address of the computer and port 8011
            Has been selected to be used for FBB Access in the Telnet Server
            Configuration file: FBBPORT=8011 DisconnectOnClose=1
            Use the Alias of your BPQ-BBS instead of the Call sign: $WPMOBBS

            There are two ports in the BPQ Telnet Server, one is for manual connects
            The other is exclusive to FBB

            73

            Mike-N9PMO

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
              That's not what I want.. I do not want FBB to connect to it at all. I want the BPQ Telnet Server
              for use by keyboard packet operators. But I want to still use the FBB telnet for forwarding with
              other bbs's... at the same time.

              K.O.

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                How would keyboard packet operators access it?
                Why wouldn't they just connect to the BPQ node or to the BBS directly via packet?
                Seems a bit unclear what you are asking for.

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                  As noted before, Manual connection (Keyboard)
                  DisconnectOnClose=1
                  TCPPORT=8010

                  USER=callsign,password,callsign <Case sensitive
                  The third entry (callsign) should be used so as not to use Your node call
                  When sending a message via BPQ Telnet Server

                  Choose a TCP port that has easy access, (Can Not have a duplicate TCP Port
                  is use on same computer)

                  Good Point Hank!!

                  How ever I do have a few I setup that like to check their messages remotely
                  As an example from their work via Telnet not having access to AXUDP or RF.

                  Mike-N9PMO

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                    Ah, my mistake, I thought he was talking about packet radio.
                    Your comments are right on the mark.

                    We have a few folks in the here that use AGW to bridge
                    Windows to the AX.25 tcp/ip network so they can use
                    pop / smtp / telnet across AX.25

                    Traditionally port 7301 for the BBS.
                    You can, in fact, telnet to dmascs.w0rli.net:7301 and get the BBS,
                    or port 23 for normal telnet to the node. I use this, as well as pop
                    and smtp when I am on the road.

                      ... Hank

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                      I'm giving BPQMailChat a try.

                      Any words of wisdom, or gotchas to look out for? - It's been a while since I last tried it.

                      73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                        Charles

                        All though there has been some changes or additions the installation is
                        Very simple, some of the high lights are:
                        Housekeeping
                        Welcome Messages (May be edited)
                        Message Filters, (Reject & Hold for FROM, TO & AT)
                        Some minor changes in the Manage Users and Manage Forwarding:
                        RMS Polling
                        Auto Registry Save, Enable/Disable keeps all your forwarding partners,
                        settings
                        Etc, Root will be in the BPQ32 Folder
                        Return Message Routing Function

                        After installing the latest version you will need to save the configuration,
                        and
                        Next two or three Tabs, then restart MailChat.

                        Changes in BPQ32_410p_20101220 (Latest Version) the BPQ Telnet Server is now

                        Set up in the BPQ32.CFG File, if you were using the BPQTelnetServer.cfg from

                        Previous versions please make a copy, In the Telnet Server is added to the
                        BPQ332.CFG
                        The Telnet Server will Auto Start with BPQ32.EXE, the AXIP.CFG and IPGATEWAY
                        can also
                        Be placed in the BPQ32.CFG File.
                        INP3 Routes can be used to help prevent Flooding your Nodes Table from XNET
                        and similar.

                        I am sure I missed a few things but feel free to ask,

                        Mike-N9PMO
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                          Thanks, Mike!

                          All of the changes look to be good ones. It's all working but no FWD yet. By the time I got it set up and ready, it was too late to expect much out of 20m. - I'll get a chance to see it in action tomorrow morning.

                          I still don't see any way to reject messages by size criteria, a basic SYSOP tool that all other BBS software offers... If it gets to be a problem, I may have to stop taking @WW stuff. - Not that any of it would really be missed, eh?

                          73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                            Hi Charles,

                            Check out this link...it should explain how to set limits on forwarding, etc.

                            http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%20Server%20Mail%20Forwarding.htm##TYPES

                            Ken KD6PGI

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 29, 2010
                              Thank you, Ken!

                              I had seen the screen before, but missed the "Max size to Recv" - which looks like what I am needing. Entering all of the setup parameters is a big step up from tinkering with a series of text files, but it is taking some getting used to.

                              I am looking forward to my first connect with the new setup on 20m, some time later this morning.

                              73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 24, 2014

                                John, Where is this file? I don't see it in the directory and need to setup the telnet server in BPQMAIL and then onto the RF ports. This will be fun after running DRSI for 25 years then going to KISS TNC's.

                                But I don't see the Telnet server program anywhere. What am I missing?

                                73 Dave

                                n4zkf

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 24, 2014

                                  Dave,

                                  TelnetServer is no longer a separate program. It is now part of BPQ32. You just need to configure a Telnet Port. See

                                  http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/TelnetServer.htm

                                  Kiss port setup is pretty much the same as for DOS BPQCode. I did have an experimental driver for DRSI, but it is a long time since I had a machine with ISA slots, so haven't been able to keep it up to date.

                                  73, John