Problem with rig control using IC-707 & CI-V

  • n9vt_andy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 16, 2013
      All,

      I'm not able to get BPQ32 (WinXP/SP3) to control my IC-707 via a CI-V interface. The interface is working properly using fldigi and HRD but BPQ returns "Sorry - radio not responding" when I try to set a new frequency from the BPQTerm interface. Frequency scanning is not working either.

      My SCS Tracker port configuration is copied below for reference. I have tried resetting the CI-V address for the 707 (3E) to 00 (default "all-access" address) with no results.

      Any assistance would be very appreciated.

      73,
      Andy
      N9VT
      Fredericksburg, VA, USA
    • n9vt_andy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 16, 2013

        For some reason my port configuration was stripped off my original message. Here it is inline.

        Thanks,

        Andy

        N9VT

        PORT

         PORTNUM=4

         ID=10145.5 kHz Robust Packet

         TYPE=EXTERNAL

         IOADDR=2;              COM Port Address (Note this is in hex, so for COM20 enter 14

         SPEED=38400;           COM Port Speed

         DLLNAME=SCSTracker.DLL

         ;INTERLOCK=n;           ; Optional - set if you have two ports sharing the same radio.

                                ; Set the same Interlock value on both ports.

         QUALITY=0

         CONFIG                 ; Driver-Specific Configuration

         RIGCONTROL

         COM1 4800 ICOM 707 3E

         6,7.103,USB,R1

         6,10.1455,USB,R1

         ****

         ;SWITCHMODES 15            ; Change between Robust and normal packet every 15 seconds.

                                   ; Note this will be ignored if you are using RIGCONTROL

         USEAPPLCALLS              ; Listen for calls to any of your APPLnCALLS

         DEFAULT ROBUST            ; Return to Robust mode after connections

         BEACONAFTERSESSION

         UPDATEMAP

         %XR 100

         %XA 100

         %F 1700 ; CF used for HF Packet mode

         %B R300 ; Sets UI mode (R600 or R300) (node, not UIUTil)

         F 280 ; Frack - sort of (initial & impacts SABM timing)

         T 30 ; TXDelay

         O 1 ; MAXFRAME (starting point only)

        ENDPORT

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 16, 2013
          Andy,

          I can't find any info about the CI-V commands used by the IC 707. Most Icom rigs have pretty similar control codes, but maybe the 707, being quite old. has some differences. I downloaded the 707 manual, and although it mentions CI-V in the Set menu it doesn't have any message formats.

          One of the options in the Set Menu is CI-V Data Length. It might be worth trying it set the opposite way to what it is at the moment.

          Failing that, would it be possible to get a serial port trace of fldifi or HRD controlling the radio, so I can see what they are sending?

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 16, 2013

            John,

            Changing the CI-V data length unfortunately made no difference. I used Commander to capture a series of control interactions with the transceiver:

            First two lines - interrogate 707 for frequency

            Next six lines - increment frequency by 100 Hz

            Next two lines - change mode to LSB

            Next two lines - change mode to USB

            Remaining lines - set frequency to 10141.5

            Log data below - thanks for your help.

            73,

            Andy

            N9VT

            P 0001@1836.52<  FE  FE  3E  E0   3  FD

            P 0002@1836.52<  FE  FE  E0  3E   3  10  55  14  10   0  FD

            P 0003@1836.57<  FE  FE  3E  E0   5   0  55  14  10   0  FD

            P 0004@1836.57<  FE  FE  E0  3E  FB  FD

            P 0005@1836.58<  FE  FE  3E  E0   3  FD

            P 0006@1836.58<  FE  FE  E0  3E   3   0  55  14  10   0  FD

            P 0007@1836.58<  FE  FE  3E  E0   4  FD

            P 0008@1836.58<  FE  FE  E0  3E   4   1   1  FD

            P 0009@1837.26<  FE  FE  3E  E0   6   0   1  FD

            P 0010@1837.26<  FE  FE  E0  3E  FB  FD

            P 0011@1838.02<  FE  FE  3E  E0   6   1   1  FD

            P 0012@1838.02<  FE  FE  E0  3E  FB  FD

            P 0013@1838.22<  FE  FE  3E  E0   5   0  15  14  10   0  FD

            P 0014@1838.22<  FE  FE  E0  3E  FB  FD

            P 0015@1838.22<  FE  FE  3E  E0   3  FD

            P 0016@1838.22<  FE  FE  E0  3E   3   0  15  14  10   0  FD

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 16, 2013

              John,

              Rig control is operational. The fix was to use a different interrface. For some reason a stock Icom CT-17 CI-V interface is not playing well with BPQ32. A West Mountain RigTalk USB interface is working properly, however.

              So, it looks like the standard Icom control codes used by BPQ work properly with the IC-707.

              Thanks again for your prompt attention and assistance. As soon as I can rig up a 40/30 meter resonant antenna I'll be scanning 7.103 and 10145.5 kHz Robust Packet 24x7.

              73,

              Andy

              N9VT