bpq 408 problem

  • k_rung
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
      I am having a problem with a bpq408 switch I have taken over to maintain.

      It is a bpq408 in a 386 pc with 6 ports.

      The first 2 ports are connected to a data engine in kiss mode with
      19.2 data radios going to the network backbone.

      The rest of the ports are two drsi cards that run 1200b to 4 radios.

      After a reboot the switch functions perfectly on all ports when
      connecting in, out, and through any of the ports.

      The problem is that after the switch has been running for a day, if
      you connect to one of the ports, you can list nodes, and do all the
      commands locally but if you try to connect out one of the ports the
      switch just sits there and does nothing. The nodes list looks ok and
      nodes are pointing in the right direction but not always. It appears
      that sometimes the quality seems to change sending a connection in the
      opposite direction. I appears like the main pc switch is losing the
      nodes list to tell it how to reach the node you are trying to connect
      to. When coming in from a distant node all works fine to connect
      through the pc to a distant destination node.

      If you connect from a distant node through the bpq pc switch and out
      one of the ports to a distant node all works fine. This works in both
      directions. Only if you connect to the bpq switch and try to connect
      out again will it hang.

      I also have two bpq407a eproms in data engines making 3 ports and they
      exhibit the same behavior.

      Obeveously I have set something incorrectly in all of these bpq
      switches to make them behave in a similar manner.

      Does this information ring a bell with someone that is familiar with
      bpq switches and networks?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Klaus
      ve3kr
    • Miroslav Skoric
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
        k_rung wrote:

        > Obeveously I have set something incorrectly in all of these bpq
        > switches to make them behave in a similar manner.

        Klaus, I am not sure but it looks to me that you may check a parameter
        called MAXLINKS=n (Here it is MAXLINKS=30). Maybe a too low value
        prevents your node to accept more than 'n' links, after your users make
        'n' links to/from distant nodes?

        Now, my own issue:

        I also run BPQ 4.08 on a 286 DOS box and it makes me wonder if it is
        possible to add a TCPIP port on it (actually just to add an IP address
        that can accept incoming telnet connections). At the moment, I have 1
        VHF radio port and 1 Ethernet port. The latter connects over LAN to
        another PC running BPQ32. And I would like to use the same LAN for TCPIP
        connections to the BPQ 4.08 switch (using telnet command from the second
        PC or WinPack).

        Is that possible?

        Misko YT7MPB

        > Does this information ring a bell with someone that is familiar with
        > bpq switches and networks?
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Klaus
        > ve3kr

      • Mark Harloff
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
          Yes Misko. Just run BPQ32 Telnet Server on the
          BPQ32 machine. You can telnet into that and
          connect over to the DOS BPQ machine.

          - Mark K2CAN

          Miroslav Skoric wrote:

          > k_rung wrote:
          >
          > > Obeveously I have set something incorrectly in all of these bpq
          > > switches to make them behave in a similar manner.
          > >

          > Klaus, I am not sure but it looks to me that you may check a parameter
          > called MAXLINKS=n (Here it is MAXLINKS=30). Maybe a too low value
          > prevents your node to accept more than 'n' links, after your users make
          > 'n' links to/from distant nodes?
          >
          > Now, my own issue:
          >
          > I also run BPQ 4.08 on a 286 DOS box and it makes me wonder if it is
          > possible to add a TCPIP port on it (actually just to add an IP address
          > that can accept incoming telnet connections). At the moment, I have 1
          > VHF radio port and 1 Ethernet port. The latter connects over LAN to
          > another PC running BPQ32. And I would like to use the same LAN for TCPIP
          > connections to the BPQ 4.08 switch (using telnet command from the second
          > PC or WinPack).
          >
          > Is that possible?
          >
          > Misko YT7MPB
          >
          > > Does this information ring a bell with someone that is familiar with
          > > bpq switches and networks?
          > >
          > > Any help would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Klaus
          > > ve3kr

        • k_rung
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 8, 2008
            No, maxlinks is set to 30 so that is not it.

            I have replaced the total pc with a new one thinking it could be
            memory or pc board related but with no luck.

            What is happening is it worked for a full day and now just a few
            minutes ago I see that some of the nodes I am trying to reach that are
            on the nodes list have stopped working. I cannot reach them.

            They are still in the nodes list but here is the problem why I cannot
            reach the proper destination.

            When I do a n nodecall it is pointing in the wrong direction. It is
            pointing a path to a node on the wrong port. Somehow the quality is
            being lost on the nodes that I cannot reach and the reason I cannot
            reach them is that the connection is turned around and coming back up
            the port I just came in on.

            Somehow the quality is being lost or the nodes are being dropped or
            something like that.

            Anyone have a clue what is going on here?

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Miroslav Skoric <skoric@...> wrote:

            > k_rung wrote:
            >
            > > Obeveously I have set something incorrectly in all of these bpq
            > > switches to make them behave in a similar manner.
            > >

            > Klaus, I am not sure but it looks to me that you may check a parameter
            > called MAXLINKS=n (Here it is MAXLINKS=30). Maybe a too low value
            > prevents your node to accept more than 'n' links, after your users make
            > 'n' links to/from distant nodes?
            >
            > Now, my own issue:
            >
            > I also run BPQ 4.08 on a 286 DOS box and it makes me wonder if it is
            > possible to add a TCPIP port on it (actually just to add an IP address
            > that can accept incoming telnet connections). At the moment, I have 1
            > VHF radio port and 1 Ethernet port. The latter connects over LAN to
            > another PC running BPQ32. And I would like to use the same LAN for
            TCPIP
            > connections to the BPQ 4.08 switch (using telnet command from the
            second
            > PC or WinPack).
            >
            > Is that possible?
            >
            > Misko YT7MPB
            >

            > > Does this information ring a bell with someone that is familiar with
            > > bpq switches and networks?
            > >
            > > Any help would be appreciated.
            > >
            > > Klaus
            > > ve3kr

          • Miroslav Skoric
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 8, 2008
              Mark Harloff wrote:

              > Yes Misko. Just run BPQ32 Telnet Server on the
              > BPQ32 machine. You can telnet into that and
              > connect over to the DOS BPQ machine.

              Mark, thank you for suggestion! Will try that ... just wondered if DOS
              BPQ can be telnet-ed directly...

              Misko YT7MPB

              > - Mark K2CAN
              >

              > Miroslav Skoric wrote:
              >>
              >> k_rung wrote:
              >>
              >> > Obeveously I have set something incorrectly in all of these bpq
              >> > switches to make them behave in a similar manner.
              >> >

              >> Klaus, I am not sure but it looks to me that you may check a parameter
              >> called MAXLINKS=n (Here it is MAXLINKS=30). Maybe a too low value
              >> prevents your node to accept more than 'n' links, after your users make
              >> 'n' links to/from distant nodes?
              >>
              >> Now, my own issue:
              >>
              >> I also run BPQ 4.08 on a 286 DOS box and it makes me wonder if it is
              >> possible to add a TCPIP port on it (actually just to add an IP address
              >> that can accept incoming telnet connections). At the moment, I have 1
              >> VHF radio port and 1 Ethernet port. The latter connects over LAN to
              >> another PC running BPQ32. And I would like to use the same LAN for TCPIP
              >> connections to the BPQ 4.08 switch (using telnet command from the second
              >> PC or WinPack).
              >>
              >> Is that possible?
              >>
              >> Misko YT7MPB

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 9, 2008
                I do not think that the 16 bit version of BPQ has a Telnet Server
                available. However, John or Ron may have to correct me on that.

                - Mark K2CAN

                Miroslav Skoric wrote:

                > Mark Harloff wrote:
                >
                > > Yes Misko. Just run BPQ32 Telnet Server on the
                > > BPQ32 machine. You can telnet into that and
                > > connect over to the DOS BPQ machine.
                > >

                > Mark, thank you for suggestion! Will try that ... just wondered if DOS
                > BPQ can be telnet-ed directly...
                >
                > Misko YT7MPB
                >
                > > - Mark K2CAN
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 9, 2008

                  > Mark, thank you for suggestion! Will try that ... just wondered if
                  DOS
                  > BPQ can be telnet-ed directly...
                  >
                  > Misko YT7MPB

                  Hi Misko,

                  If you require a "DOS only solution" to needing to be able to Telnet
                  from RF & you cannot find a "BPQ solution", there is "G8PZT Xrouter
                  for DOS v1.87". This program does many things that 16 bit DOS BPQ
                  does and many more things like TCP/IP, APRS IGATE, APRS Digipeating,
                  Chat services & Netrom nodes. There is a Yahoo group for Xrouter
                  where files may be obtained.

                  Yes, there is a network of Xrouter nodes in ZL (linked by a VPN over
                  internet) doing Amateur "44" TCP/IP over AX25 RF. They support the RF
                  F6FBB ZL BBS network by frequently being the means for forwarding "P"
                  mail & Bulletins. By further VPN connections AXIP/AXUDP over
                  internet, the ZL Xrouters are connected to UK, VK Xrouters & some
                  JNOS nodes.
                  RF users in locations without a BBS frequently use Telnet to access a
                  remote BBS or DX Spider Cluster node. Often the BBS are located in an
                  Amateur Radio club building that does not have any telephone line or
                  broadband ADSL internet.
                  Note the DOS G8PZT Xrouter will not run a BBS program in the same PC.
                  My local BBS has two PCs, one for DOS Xrouter and one for DOS F6FBB,
                  running over BPQ408a, connected by Ethernet cable to each other.

                  73 de Michael ZL1ABS

                  Co-Sysop ZL1AB North Shore Branch 29 BBS
                • K.O. Higgs
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                    I am running both FBB 7.00i and BPQMailChat on the same XP Pro computer. I am also running RMS Packet with BPQMailChat. I am NOT running the Chat function. I am using the Telnet function of FBB.

                    My question: Can I also run BPQ Telnet Server? Are there any special precautions? Anything extra that I need to be aware of using telnet on both FBB and BPQ?

                    73,  K.O. N0KFQ
                    --

                    K.O. Higgs
                    n0kfq@...

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                      K.O

                      Nothing special except that you can not have the duplicate port
                      If you are going to connect from FBB to BPQ telnet server you would
                      Setup the file similar to the following

                      C C N9PMO 192.168.0.105 8011
                      V N9PMO$W######$WPMOBBS

                      Where 192.168.0.105 is the LAN Address of the computer and port 8011
                      Has been selected to be used for FBB Access in the Telnet Server
                      Configuration file: FBBPORT=8011 DisconnectOnClose=1
                      Use the Alias of your BPQ-BBS instead of the Call sign: $WPMOBBS

                      There are two ports in the BPQ Telnet Server, one is for manual connects
                      The other is exclusive to FBB

                      73

                      Mike-N9PMO

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                        That's not what I want.. I do not want FBB to connect to it at all. I want the BPQ Telnet Server
                        for use by keyboard packet operators. But I want to still use the FBB telnet for forwarding with
                        other bbs's... at the same time.

                        K.O.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                          How would keyboard packet operators access it?
                          Why wouldn't they just connect to the BPQ node or to the BBS directly via packet?
                          Seems a bit unclear what you are asking for.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                            As noted before, Manual connection (Keyboard)
                            DisconnectOnClose=1
                            TCPPORT=8010

                            USER=callsign,password,callsign <Case sensitive
                            The third entry (callsign) should be used so as not to use Your node call
                            When sending a message via BPQ Telnet Server

                            Choose a TCP port that has easy access, (Can Not have a duplicate TCP Port
                            is use on same computer)

                            Good Point Hank!!

                            How ever I do have a few I setup that like to check their messages remotely
                            As an example from their work via Telnet not having access to AXUDP or RF.

                            Mike-N9PMO

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                              Ah, my mistake, I thought he was talking about packet radio.
                              Your comments are right on the mark.

                              We have a few folks in the here that use AGW to bridge
                              Windows to the AX.25 tcp/ip network so they can use
                              pop / smtp / telnet across AX.25

                              Traditionally port 7301 for the BBS.
                              You can, in fact, telnet to dmascs.w0rli.net:7301 and get the BBS,
                              or port 23 for normal telnet to the node. I use this, as well as pop
                              and smtp when I am on the road.

                                ... Hank

                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                                I'm giving BPQMailChat a try.

                                Any words of wisdom, or gotchas to look out for? - It's been a while since I last tried it.

                                73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                                  Charles

                                  All though there has been some changes or additions the installation is
                                  Very simple, some of the high lights are:
                                  Housekeeping
                                  Welcome Messages (May be edited)
                                  Message Filters, (Reject & Hold for FROM, TO & AT)
                                  Some minor changes in the Manage Users and Manage Forwarding:
                                  RMS Polling
                                  Auto Registry Save, Enable/Disable keeps all your forwarding partners,
                                  settings
                                  Etc, Root will be in the BPQ32 Folder
                                  Return Message Routing Function

                                  After installing the latest version you will need to save the configuration,
                                  and
                                  Next two or three Tabs, then restart MailChat.

                                  Changes in BPQ32_410p_20101220 (Latest Version) the BPQ Telnet Server is now

                                  Set up in the BPQ32.CFG File, if you were using the BPQTelnetServer.cfg from

                                  Previous versions please make a copy, In the Telnet Server is added to the
                                  BPQ332.CFG
                                  The Telnet Server will Auto Start with BPQ32.EXE, the AXIP.CFG and IPGATEWAY
                                  can also
                                  Be placed in the BPQ32.CFG File.
                                  INP3 Routes can be used to help prevent Flooding your Nodes Table from XNET
                                  and similar.

                                  I am sure I missed a few things but feel free to ask,

                                  Mike-N9PMO
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                                    Thanks, Mike!

                                    All of the changes look to be good ones. It's all working but no FWD yet. By the time I got it set up and ready, it was too late to expect much out of 20m. - I'll get a chance to see it in action tomorrow morning.

                                    I still don't see any way to reject messages by size criteria, a basic SYSOP tool that all other BBS software offers... If it gets to be a problem, I may have to stop taking @WW stuff. - Not that any of it would really be missed, eh?

                                    73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 28, 2010
                                      Hi Charles,

                                      Check out this link...it should explain how to set limits on forwarding, etc.

                                      http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%20Server%20Mail%20Forwarding.htm##TYPES

                                      Ken KD6PGI

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 29, 2010
                                        Thank you, Ken!

                                        I had seen the screen before, but missed the "Max size to Recv" - which looks like what I am needing. Entering all of the setup parameters is a big step up from tinkering with a series of text files, but it is taking some getting used to.

                                        I am looking forward to my first connect with the new setup on 20m, some time later this morning.

                                        73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 24, 2014

                                          John, Where is this file? I don't see it in the directory and need to setup the telnet server in BPQMAIL and then onto the RF ports. This will be fun after running DRSI for 25 years then going to KISS TNC's.

                                          But I don't see the Telnet server program anywhere. What am I missing?

                                          73 Dave

                                          n4zkf

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 24, 2014

                                            Dave,

                                            TelnetServer is no longer a separate program. It is now part of BPQ32. You just need to configure a Telnet Port. See

                                            http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/TelnetServer.htm

                                            Kiss port setup is pretty much the same as for DOS BPQCode. I did have an experimental driver for DRSI, but it is a long time since I had a machine with ISA slots, so haven't been able to keep it up to date.

                                            73, John