BPQKISS Protocol Specification?

  • james_nf8i
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2013
      Is there any documentation of the BPQKISS protocol?  I'm thinking something someone would use if they wanted to create software to interface with a TNC running in BPQKISS mode, or for creating a BPQKISS-mode TNC.

      Thanks and 73 de NF8I,

      ~James
    • n9acq
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2013

        James

                        BOQ KISS is standard KISS. In this mode the TNC is only the Packet Assembler Disassembler and modem. Their ate only a few commands, issued as hexadecimal. See http://www.ka9q.net/papers/kiss.html for a detailed explanation of KISS mode operations and commands.

        73 Bill

        NACQ

      • james_nf8i

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2013

            James

                            XKISS adds a checksum sequence between computer and TNC. There are other versions of KISS including a polling capability and extended commands. The determining factor is which flavors of KISS the target TNC allows. Of the only KISS parameters are ON or OFF, then only basic KISS is supported. Notice that you need to install TNC specific ROMS in any TNC use for the fill BPQKISS. The ROM list of supported TNC is very short. I doubt that there are many calls for applications to be capable of operating with BPQKISS.

            73 Bill

            N9ACQ

          • Charles Brabham
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2013
              If I remember correctly, my PK-96 will run in multidropped KISS mode, a bit more robust with the CRC.

              73 DE Charles, N5PVL

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2013
                James,

                I've looked though my old files, and can't find one, but I've found the BPQKISS source. so I'll make some notes from it.

                73, John

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 23, 2015
                  Hi!
                  I reopen this old post. I'm also studying BPQKISS protocol and I can't find some specification:

                  - When TNC receive from host a frame with wrong CRC the frame is
                  silently dropped like standard kiss?
                  - Is crc byte added to all types of frames or only to data frames like SMACK?
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 23, 2015
                    A frame with a bad CRC is dropped, but this isn't like standard KISS as
                    standard KISS doesn't have a CRC to check.

                    CRC is added to all frames type.

                    CRC is only one feature of BPQKISS. The others are polling and ACK Mode. See
                    this document from Karl Medcalf of Kantronics

                    http://he.fi/pub/oh7lzb/bpq/multi-kiss.pdf

                    I reopen this old post. I'm also studying BPQKISS protocol and I can't find
                    some specification:

                    - When TNC receive from host a frame with wrong CRC the frame is silently
                    dropped like standard kiss?
                    - Is crc byte added to all types of frames or only to data frames like
                    SMACK?

                    Posted by: ziotibia1@...
                  • ziotibia81
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 23, 2015