RMS Packet and BPQ

  • n6kzb
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013
      Old question I am sure. Searched group, but can't find simple answer.

      I see that in the RMS packet help section is a "how to" configure it in conjunction with BPQ. All I get is a error telling me BPQ is not loaded and it is, when I try to do the configuration indicated.

      Mike
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

        Mike

        I assume you are running a newer BPQ32?

        RMS window up, File, Site properties, Below the Base call pass word, grid square, there are 3 selections, the

        Last being Use BPQ32 to Access TNC, check the bullet, Update, Close, RMS should restart, again go to File

        Packet Channels, Sessions must be set, ea. Number of total connect to RMS, Application, number you

        Have chosen for RMS application, the correct call sign should show.

        Selected Ports, select the port/ports you plan to use, enable this port, enter Port information, Power etc. Update,

        If more then one port select correct port enable this port enter the information again for this port, update, close &

        Restart, on reboot it should display in green BPQ streams, etc. etc.

        Incase you are not aware, BPQ BBS (Mail Server) has supported WL2K CMS connection for some time and

        The RMS program isn’t really needed, unless you are not running the BPQ Mail Server.

        Let us know if you still have problems.

        73

        Mike N9PMO
        BPQ32 Group Moderator

        Old question I am sure. Searched group, but can't find simple answer.

        I see that in the RMS packet help section is a "how to" configure it in conjunction with BPQ. All I get is a error telling me BPQ is not loaded and it is, when I try to do the configuration indicated.

        Mike

        No virus found in this message.

      • n6kzb
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

          Would love to get that far. As soon as I click on use BPQ, it gives me error that BPQ  is not loaded.

          Yes newer BPQ.

          Aware that BPQ supports CMS direct and do use it at one site.

          But with RMS Packet I can direct it over the LAN to RMS relay, (via an IP), that is at a Pactor Trimode station that can auto fwd over HF to a CMS on pactor, when Internet is down. All locations I have can use one RMS relay and common user data base, when the Ubiquiti network is finished.

          Just wanted to try this way, as it was suggested to me by another SySop. I am using RMS packet now with a virtual KISS port configured in BPQ at a site.

          Thanks for the info, I have printed it out at any rate.

          PS System is Windows 8.

          Adios

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

            Mike

            I am glad you brought up you are running W8 I am not sure if the newer version of BPQ32 has been tested

            With RMS Packet, not having W7 or 8 I can’t remember if the bpq32.dll usually was located in Windows\System32

            It may be the .dll is located otherwise, RMS expects to fine it in the system32 folder, I am thinking there is a new

            Location for the .dll.

            Let’s see if John or Ron reply, and/or others running 7 or 8 can be a better help, sorry I can’t be, still XP here.

            Mike N9PMO
            BPQ32 Group Moderator

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

              OK appreciate the response. If it is a DLL easy to copy and past where needed, hi hi

              Mike it

              ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Mike

              I am glad you brought up you are running W8 I am not sure if the newer version of BPQ32 has been tested

              With RMS Packet, not having W7 or 8 I can’t remember if the bpq32.dll

              (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

            • n6kzb
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

                Well putting the dll in the system/32 does no good, just FYI.

                Mike

                ---In bpq32@yahoogroups.com, <mikeaburton@...> wrote:

                OK appreciate the response. If it is a DLL easy to copy and past where needed, hi hi

                Mike it

              • David Morris
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013
                  Older question !

                  Revamping another computer. Running BPQcfg V4.08 (age of computer)
                  Computer has two com ports (unusual) and a PCI slot
                  I install DRSI in PCI slot - load programmes connect radio to DRSI and get slow tones. (DRSI restored to previous computer and is ok there)
                  Alter BPQCFG.TXT to use comport 2 (comport 1 is in use). With DRSI plugged in (but useless) nothing from comport 2. Unplug DRSI board
                  and comport2 springs to life.

                  Any idea why DRSI doesn't work & why is stops comport2 working.

                  Sorry can't help with question below !!

                  Virus Checked before sending
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

                     Understand that. If you get a chance, read my first posts you will see why I need RMS Express.

                    BPQ works fine stand alone to a CMS, as we have a system doing so.

                    This is for another application that needs RMS Express to talk to RMS relay.

                    Thanks

                    Mike

                    ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Notwithstanding RMS, does BPQ operate normally otherwise?

                    You do not need to run RMS Server if you are using BPQ Mail. BPQ Mail will
                    handle RMS connections just fine.

                    Mark

                    > Old question I am sure. Searched group, but can't find simple answer.
                    >

                    > I see that in the RMS packet help section is a "how to" configure it in
                    > conjunction with BPQ. All I get is a error telling me BPQ is not loaded
                    > and it is, when I try to do the configuration indicated.
                    >

                    > Mike

                  • n6kzb
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

                      In the meantime, while the greater powers think about why it is not working on Win 8. I have an extra Win 7 system, I will configure and see if it works there. If so, then my immediate need is solved.

                      Thanks.

                      Mike

                      ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                       Understand that. If you get a chance, read my first posts you will see why I need RMS Express.

                      BPQ works fine stand alone to a CMS, as we have a system doing so.

                      This is for another application that needs RMS Express to talk to RMS relay.

                      Thanks

                      Mike

                      ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      Notwithstanding RMS, does BPQ operate normally otherwise?

                      You do not need to run RMS Server if you are using BPQ Mail. BPQ Mail will
                      handle RMS connections just fine.

                      Mark

                      > Old question I am sure. Searched group, but can't find simple answer.
                      >

                      > I see that in the RMS packet help section is a "how to" configure it in
                      > conjunction with BPQ. All I get is a error telling me BPQ is not loaded
                      > and it is, when I try to do the configuration indicated.
                      >

                      > Mike

                    • PE1RDW
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013
                        op 09-10-13 21:39, David Morris schreef:
                        Older question !

                        Revamping another computer. Running BPQcfg V4.08 (age of computer)
                        Computer has two com ports (unusual) and a PCI slot
                        I install DRSI in PCI slot - load programmes connect radio to DRSI and get slow tones. (DRSI restored to previous computer and is ok there)
                        Alter BPQCFG.TXT to use comport 2 (comport 1 is in use). With DRSI plugged in (but useless) nothing from comport 2. Unplug DRSI board
                        and comport2 springs to life.

                        Any idea why DRSI doesn't work & why is stops comport2 working.

                        Sounds like an IRQ or memory conflict, see if you can change the settings of the DRSI card or com port.

                        73 Andre PE1RDW

                      • Mark Taylor
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013
                          Notwithstanding RMS, does BPQ operate normally otherwise?

                          You do not need to run RMS Server if you are using BPQ Mail. BPQ Mail will
                          handle RMS connections just fine.

                          Mark

                          > Old question I am sure. Searched group, but can't find simple answer.
                          >

                          > I see that in the RMS packet help section is a "how to" configure it in
                          > conjunction with BPQ. All I get is a error telling me BPQ is not loaded
                          > and it is, when I try to do the configuration indicated.
                          >

                          > Mike

                        • n6kzb
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

                            Final on this issue, for me at least. If nothing else I can configure a BPQ system quickly now, hi hi.

                            No go on Win7 64 system either. The latest BPQ will not allow RMS Express to configure itself to function as with BPQ control of TNC, as indicated in RMS packet help file.

                            So there is an issue somewhere, with latest version of BPQ. But since I can make RMS Express work as a virtual serial port via BPQ, I shall continue to use it in that fashion. As it is functioning that way now and using RMS relay with a re-direct back to the primary system. As soon as the LAN is installed, just a matter of IP address changes.

                            Packet BBS users get their radio BBS, and the WinLink gateway functions in the new WinLink hybrid mode.

                            So guess leave well enough alone.  Thanks,

                            Mike  xe2/n6kzb

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013
                              I'll try it on my Win 8 laptop in the morning.

                              But had you considered running BPQ Mall as your central hub, instead of RMS Relay.

                              73, John

                               Understand that. If you get a chance, read my first posts you will see why I need RMS Express.

                              BPQ works fine stand alone to a CMS, as we have a system doing so.

                              This is for another application that needs RMS Express to talk to RMS relay.

                              Thanks

                              Mike

                              ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              Notwithstanding RMS, does BPQ operate normally otherwise?

                              You do not need to run RMS Server if you are using BPQ Mail. BPQ Mail will
                              handle RMS connections just fine.

                              Mark

                              > Old question I am sure. Searched group, but can't find simple answer.
                              >

                              > I see that in the RMS packet help section is a "how to" configure it in
                              > conjunction with BPQ. All I get is a error telling me BPQ is not loaded
                              > and it is, when I try to do the configuration indicated.
                              >

                              > Mike

                            • n6kzb
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

                                BPQ Mail is running as a hub on one LAN, for a club that wanted it that way. Thanks to your telnet tweaks, it works very well. Thanks

                                This is a differing system, with two RF stations several miles apart. Using auto HF forwarding, aka WinLink Hybrid/ The BPQ aspect is important at the one site for the BBS legacy users. If internet fails a slow but reliable RF path will feed traffic back to the primary HF site.

                                However with RMS Packet at that same site as BPQ, the Winlink is desperate to take advantage of TELNET over a LAN in lieu of normal intrent.

                                ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                I'll try it on my Win 8 laptop in the morning.

                                But had you considered running BPQ Mall as your central hub, instead of RMS Relay.

                                73, John

                                 Understand that. If you get a chance, read my first posts you will see why I need RMS Express.

                                BPQ works fine stand alone to a CMS, as we have a system doing so.

                                This is for another application that needs RMS Express to talk to RMS relay.

                                Thanks

                                Mike

                                ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                Notwithstanding RMS, does BPQ operate normally otherwise?

                                You do not need to run RMS Server if you are using BPQ Mail. BPQ Mail will
                                handle RMS connections just fine.

                                Mark

                                > Old question I am sure. Searched group, but can't find simple answer.
                                >

                                > I see that in the RMS packet help section is a "how to" configure it in
                                > conjunction with BPQ. All I get is a error telling me BPQ is not loaded
                                > and it is, when I try to do the configuration indicated.
                                >

                                > Mike

                              • n6kzb
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

                                  This is a different system, nothing to do with the BPQ HUB, which thanks to your telnet tweaks works very well, thanks.

                                  It is part of the WinLink Hybrid and the one location still has a need for a legacy packet BBS, and BPQ fits that role perfect.

                                  The WinLink routes in a different fashion to a common server on a private LAN.

                                  As always, thanks

                                  Mike

                                  ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  I'll try it on my Win 8 laptop in the morning.

                                  But had you considered running BPQ Mall as your central hub, instead of RMS Relay.

                                  73, John

                                   Understand that. If you get a chance, read my first posts you will see why I need RMS Express.

                                  BPQ works fine stand alone to a CMS, as we have a system doing so.

                                  This is for another application that needs RMS Express to talk to RMS relay.

                                  Thanks

                                  Mike

                                  ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  Notwithstanding RMS, does BPQ operate normally otherwise?

                                  You do not need to run RMS Server if you are using BPQ Mail. BPQ Mail will
                                  handle RMS connections just fine.

                                  Mark

                                  > Old question I am sure. Searched group, but can't find simple answer.
                                  >

                                  > I see that in the RMS packet help section is a "how to" configure it in
                                  > conjunction with BPQ. All I get is a error telling me BPQ is not loaded
                                  > and it is, when I try to do the configuration indicated.
                                  >

                                  > Mike

                                • n6kzb
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013

                                    I hate this new Yahoo group methodology, this is the third time it has posted before I am done, and no way to delete it.

                                    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

                                    There I feel better now.

                                    ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    This is a different system, nothing to do with the BPQ HUB, which thanks to your telnet tweaks works very well, thanks.

                                    It is part of the WinLink Hybrid and the one location still has a need for a legacy packet BBS, and BPQ fits that role perfect.

                                    The WinLink routes in a different fashion to a common server on a private LAN.

                                    As always, thanks

                                    Mike

                                    ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    I'll try it on my Win 8 laptop in the morning.

                                    But had you considered running BPQ Mall as your central hub, instead of RMS Relay.

                                    73, John

                                     Understand that. If you get a chance, read my first posts you will see why I need RMS Express.

                                    BPQ works fine stand alone to a CMS, as we have a system doing so.

                                    This is for another application that needs RMS Express to talk to RMS relay.

                                    Thanks

                                    Mike

                                    ---In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    Notwithstanding RMS, does BPQ operate normally otherwise?

                                    You do not need to run RMS Server if you are using BPQ Mail. BPQ Mail will
                                    handle RMS connections just fine.

                                    Mark

                                    > Old question I am sure. Searched group, but can't find simple answer.
                                    >

                                    > I see that in the RMS packet help section is a "how to" configure it in
                                    > conjunction with BPQ. All I get is a error telling me BPQ is not loaded
                                    > and it is, when I try to do the configuration indicated.
                                    >

                                    > Mike

                                  • Ken Jacobs
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 9, 2013
                                      Emailed off list......

                                      Ken KD6PGI
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 10, 2013
                                        Ok, Mike,

                                        Maybe I'm missing something. I'm suprised that RMS Relay can do things that BPQ Mail can't

                                        73, John

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 10, 2013
                                          Mike,

                                          The current RMS Packet is disrubuted with a flag set so it runs in 64 bit mode on 64 bit versions of the OS. BPQ32 is a 32 bit application, so can't be called by a program running in 64 bit mode. So you can't use BPQ32 interface with RMS Packet in 64 bit versions of Windows.

                                          However, it is possible to force .net applications to run in 32 bit mode, and I have patched RMS Packet to do this. This isn't really a long term solution, as it will fail when the next update to RMS Packet is released, but it should get you going while you look at other solutions.

                                          73, John