RMS Express default via

  • kg6hsq
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2013
      Option of when using RMS Express to access BPQ mail, when using just call sign for address, not have via winlink.org added?

      Would like it to have same behavior as when using terminal WL look up etc.
      Trying to promote local BBS's being used for none internet dependent local messaging, need BPQ mail to act like RMS Relay in local database mode.

      Ron
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013
        Ron,

        With the latest test version of the code, the @... is only added if you have a BBS called RMS defined.

        The problem is that even if you enter CALL@... as the recipient in RMS Express, it just sends the call, so to get a message to the CMS, which is the normal requirement, I have to append the @.... If you are operating in an RF only environment, without the RMS bbs/user defined it is fine, but if you also want the option to send to the CMS network in some circumstances your users will have to add the appropriate @bbs to the address. If you have any better ideas on how to handle this, let me know.

        The test version can be downloaded from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/BPQMail.exe

        73, John

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013

          John, thanks this is exactly what I am looking for also.

          How you address the mail, sends the mail based on your configuration.

          xe9xxx  stays on the system, local data base, or routed to another BPQ base on path settings

          xe9xxx@... or xe9xxx@costtoomuch@net goes to CMS

          xe9xxx@kg6hsq is forced to go to kg6hsq system

          Again thanks, as Ron has a good idea for local use, and I want to join the party.

          Will also test and advise.

          Mike  xe2/n6kzb

          PS does all your new .exe have the LAN time extend connect feature you did for us a few weeks back??

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013
            Mike,

            Although that will work for most clients, RMS express only sends the call whether or not you add the @..., so I have to do add it to get messages to the WL2K system, as described below.

            The new .exe should have all the changes done since the last release.

            I'm hoping there will be a new release in the next day or two.

            73, John

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013

              Ok, because if I uncheck RMS user and use RMS Express, (assume other winlink products),  to try to send email, it won't work. Can't send or receive anything. Will go back to previous version in case a new user logs in and tries to use RMS Express.

              Idea I was looking for, and think Ron wanted the same was as explained in the posting before.

              Reason, regardless of client used, the user directs the mail. This is so  BPQ Mail can be used

              locally or as an internet mail delivery via a CMS. In there is an internet outage the system can still be used locally. It works now if a user enters xe9xxx@xe2bnc and it is  forced it to stay. But people are creatures of habit, they keep just putting in the radio call. With that radio call only it goes to a CMS, regardless if that radio call has a winlink acct. or not. And of course with no winlink account the user gets a bounce message back.

              Trying to make the system user friendly and to allow work around with no internet, or use locally for event email. I can't speak fro Ron, so he may have a different slant.

              Thanks sir...

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013
                Mike,

                I think you may be confusing the "RMS Express User" flag on each user's record with the User/BBS called RMS.

                73, John

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013

                  If user flag RMS Express is not checked, with current RMS Express release I get b2f errors, then disconnected. When flag is set, operations are normal, and depending on how message is addressed, it does what you have programmed.  I rolled back to your last official .exe release a bit ago.

                  John, I am going to re-do the system right now as a standalone BPQ, with CMS. Then re-test all.

                  I currently have it configured to talk to RMS Packet via a KISS port to make the CMS connection.

                  Why?/ I hear you ask...............

                  I am installing a Ubiquiti 5.8 Ghz link from this system, XE2BNC BPQ, back to another XE2BNC Trimode that is about 7 miles away. The Trimode XE2BNC is set for auto forward on HF with pactor in the event of an internet failure. (We can do auto fwd and Pactor 4 here). I have a system installed in Toluca, MX , (XE1VP), that is also the same, with Pactor 4. We have moved internet based email, and Winlink's MPS messages very well to the other station, about 1000 KM away.

                  When the internet dies, both XE2BNC systems are using the same RMS Relay that can send and receive internet based email over HF by way of Triomode. Both systems will be using the same user local data base at the Trimode location. It also means I can use Winlinks new radio-only mode, MPS,  if desired.

                  Why two XE2BNC systems so close? One is a fully established WinLink only acting as the HUB, with HF and VHF ports.

                  The other XE2BNC with BPQ software is on a differing RF duplex repeater pair for packet. There were RF issues trying to run two VHF ports at same location. We also wanted redundancy, so no single point of failure. Each has a differing VHF RF footprint to serve local users, as this area on both sides of the San Diego border, has good packet EMCOMM in place.

                  The BPQ system forwards to KG6HSG BPQ via axip and RF back up. He has a user base with packet in place, some distance from me. Once connectivity is complete, we have combined the route capabilities of BPQ in node fashion with the HF aspects of auto forwarding and MPS of WinLink.

                  Does all the above verbosity mean anything to the original issue, perhaps not, just wanted to explain why we wanted the same changes that KG6HSQ was asking for.

                  John, we will remove RMS relay connectivity at teh BPQ site, and do a test again, see what occurs in normal BPQ modes only.

                  PS, does the latest versions now include the increased timing factors over a LAN that you fixed a while back for us. Important for this to work over the new Ubiquiti links. That .exe is working fine on the original LAN you helped us with.

                  Thanks John,

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013

                    John,

                    Thanks for the test version.

                    The possibility I can think of is to have a BBS alias, say RMS, or CMS that BPQ Mail would change to winlink.org?

                    For us it is important to have the default not to be winlink.org.

                    Thanks again.

                    Ron

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013

                      John, exactly as Ron stated, lot more simple than my explanation.

                      As a side note, back to BPQ only at the remote site.

                      Your latest test .exe.

                      New user logs in with RMS Express, it works, can send email, and they are now flagged as such.

                      BUT remove that RMS User flag from this user, and they can no longer use RMS Express.

                      So will leave as is, since it is functional until another beta.

                      John thanks for working on this.

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013
                        Mike,

                        That is how it is supposed to be. A user must either be a BBS, with Allow B2 set, or have "RMS Express User" set to use RMS Express. That hasn't changed. All that is changed is that if you don't have a user called RMS, set as a BBS, the @... won't be added to the address.

                        73, John

                        John, exactly as Ron stated, lot more simple than my explanation.

                        As a side note, back to BPQ only at the remote site.

                        Your latest test .exe.

                        New user logs in with RMS Express, it works, can send email, and they are now flagged as such.< /p>

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013
                            Ron,

                            That seems a good idea. I've just checked, and RMS Express allows you to send to call@RMS, so I'll probably use that. I'll also add a config flag to control whether the @... is added. This will enable you to still have an RMS BBS.

                            Anyone see any problems with that approach?

                            73, John

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 3, 2013

                              John,

                              Test version is working.

                              Not a big issue, it's not doing WP look up for RMS Express client.

                              Thanks

                              Ron