RE: [BPQ32] new installation help Eric G0CGL

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2008

      Good Morning Eric

      I am glad I was able to help at least some, again not really having much experience with

      AR or CC Cluster except for working with Roger G3LDI, and Ron did most of the work.

      As you saw in my BPQCFG.TXT example, I cheated, rather then having the cluster programs

      I just make a simple remote connection to both of Ron’s Clusters.

      If I understand correctly you are no longer using (AGWPE) only the AGWtoBPQ.exe? this

      Is what I was trying to recommend, I did away with AGWPE back when BPQ32U_409 was released

      My one concern on your system running Vista was that AGWPE may have been causing a problem as

      Well.

      As far as the Node Alias being displayed first followed by the Node Call that is something John

      G8BPQ would have to answer, John has been quite busy lately and still may be out sailing, I am sure

      John will reply as soon as he can, May be Ron N5IN can shed some light on this subject.

      I do talk with Ron quite often by phone, I will make it a point to ask his opinion about this, how ever

      John is the software writer, ultimately John would have to be the one to make changes if they could

      Be done.

      Let me know if I can be of any more help.

      73

      Mike Melnik

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 10, 2008
        Eric and Mike,

        I'm pretty sure the problem with UI beaconing is
        within ARC. I have tried several different
        approaches to get the UI's to port out from ARC
        though BPQ32 to no avail.

        Ron and John are usually watching the group
        posts here but I don't think they can solve
        this. I am thinking that Terry AB5K will have to
        address this in Version 5 when (or if) it is
        released.

        - Mark K2CAN

        Mike Melnik wrote:

        > Good Morning Eric
        >
        > I am glad I was able to help at least some, again not really having much
        > experience with
        >
        > AR or CC Cluster except for working with Roger G3LDI, and Ron did most
        > of the work.
        >

        > As you saw in my BPQCFG.TXT example, I cheated, rather then having the
        > cluster programs
        >
        > I just make a simple remote connection to both of Ron’s Clusters.
        >

        > If I understand correctly you are no longer using (AGWPE) only the
        > AGWtoBPQ.exe? this
        >
        > Is what I was trying to recommend, I did away with AGWPE back when
        > BPQ32U_409 was released
        >
        > My one concern on your system running Vista was that AGWPE may have been
        > causing a problem as
        >
        > Well.
        >

        > As far as the Node Alias being displayed first followed by the Node Call
        > that is something John
        >
        > G8BPQ would have to answer, John has been quite busy lately and still
        > may be out sailing, I am sure
        >
        > John will reply as soon as he can, May be Ron N5IN can shed some light
        > on this subject.
        >

        > I do talk with Ron quite often by phone, I will make it a point to ask
        > his opinion about this, how ever
        >
        > John is the software writer, ultimately John would have to be the one to
        > make changes if they could
        >
        > Be done.
        >

        > Let me know if I can be of any more help.
        >

        > 73
        >

        > //Mike Melnik//

      • Eric Carling
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10, 2008
          Hello Mark

          Yes you are right - I was reminded of this by Dave W9ZRX. It does beacon if
          I use the AGWtoBPQ method but not via OCX. Version 5....I still hope
          oneday....

          Tnx
          Eric.

          Mike Melnik wrote:

          > Good Morning Eric
          >
          > I am glad I was able to help at least some, again not really having much
          > experience with
          >
          > AR or CC Cluster except for working with Roger G3LDI, and Ron did most
          > of the work.
          >

          > As you saw in my BPQCFG.TXT example, I cheated, rather then having the
          > cluster programs
          >
          > I just make a simple remote connection to both of Ron's Clusters.
          >

          > If I understand correctly you are no longer using (AGWPE) only the
          > AGWtoBPQ.exe? this
          >
          > Is what I was trying to recommend, I did away with AGWPE back when
          > BPQ32U_409 was released
          >
          > My one concern on your system running Vista was that AGWPE may have been
          > causing a problem as
          >
          > Well.
          >

          > As far as the Node Alias being displayed first followed by the Node Call
          > that is something John
          >
          > G8BPQ would have to answer, John has been quite busy lately and still
          > may be out sailing, I am sure
          >
          > John will reply as soon as he can, May be Ron N5IN can shed some light
          > on this subject.
          >

          > I do talk with Ron quite often by phone, I will make it a point to ask
          > his opinion about this, how ever
          >
          > John is the software writer, ultimately John would have to be the one to
          > make changes if they could
          >
          > Be done.
          >

          > Let me know if I can be of any more help.
          >

          > 73
          >

          > //Mike Melnik//

        • Ron Stordahl
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 11, 2008
            Eric, G0CGL

            I have been away for a few days when all this BPQ32 group activity exploded!

            It does appear that you have the answers, but to refresh my memory I did some quick testing here and have determined thus:

            AR-Cluster does not send DX beacons when using the OCX interface, but it does send them with the AGWtoBPQ interface.  I would guess that this is an issue within AR-Cluster and would require Terry AB5K's attention to correct.

            Instead I have used a program UIDX-Bridge from M0CYP http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/uidx.htm to send beacons.  It appears to me to have some benefits over that which is built into AR-Cluster.  It works by signing on to any cluster as a user.  You can set the filters in the dxcluster to select just which spots you want to be beaconed, and you can also set the destination address, which allows you to control how far these beacons are digipeated should you have digipeaters on the same frequency.  At one time I was actually sending DX spot beacons on the national APRS frequency...the very low volume of APRS activity made this acceptable, but this would no longer be the case, thus I shut it down.

            I note that UIDX Bridge does not offer to send the beacons other than once, but my guess is that if this was an issue M0CYP would be willing to add this.  He was cooperative with me long ago when I contacted him.

            With respect to UIDX Bridge note that the port number of 0 corresponds to port number 1 in the BPQ32 configuration.  This is explained in the BPQ32 installation document.

            With respect to FBB or MSYS, I admit to have thrown in the towel.  These were designed long ago, for DOS, and attempts to use them with Windows appear to be only partially successful.  Mike, N9PMO, and others have been struggling with these and have been somewhat successsful.  But it seems to me that unless tha authors of these care to update them, it's going to remain a struggle.

            Ron, N5IN

            Mike Melnik wrote:

            > Good Morning Eric
            >
            > I am glad I was able to help at least some, again not really having much
            > experience with
            >
            > AR or CC Cluster except for working with Roger G3LDI, and Ron did most
            > of the work.
            >

            > As you saw in my BPQCFG.TXT example, I cheated, rather then having the
            > cluster programs
            >
            > I just make a simple remote connection to both of Ron's Clusters.
            >

            > If I understand correctly you are no longer using (AGWPE) only the
            > AGWtoBPQ.exe? this
            >
            > Is what I was trying to recommend, I did away with AGWPE back when
            > BPQ32U_409 was released
            >
            > My one concern on your system running Vista was that AGWPE may have been
            > causing a problem as
            >
            > Well.
            >

            > As far as the Node Alias being displayed first followed by the Node Call
            > that is something John
            >
            > G8BPQ would have to answer, John has been quite busy lately and still
            > may be out sailing, I am sure
            >
            > John will reply as soon as he can, May be Ron N5IN can shed some light
            > on this subject.
            >

            > I do talk with Ron quite often by phone, I will make it a point to ask
            > his opinion about this, how ever
            >
            > John is the software writer, ultimately John would have to be the one to
            > make changes if they could
            >
            > Be done.
            >

            > Let me know if I can be of any more help.
            >

            > 73
            >

            > //Mike Melnik//

          • Eric Carling
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 11, 2008

              Hello Ron,

              I seem to have tamed AGWtoBPQ but I will look at UIDX-Bridge. I’d heard about it but forgotten as its been such a long time since I last looked at BPQ. So thanks for that. I did see mention in your BPQ installation docs but didn’t realise its significance.

              Overall though it is all up and running.

              Tnx,

              target="_blank">http://n9pmo. dyndns.org

              > Temp: 66|F Wind: NNE 9 mph
              >
              > Messages For None
              >
              > SVR WX:
              >

              > So as you can see how my Applications work this is my setup:
              >

              > APPLICATIONS= BBS,DXAR/ C N5IN,DXCC/C N5IN-2,RMS
              >

              > APPL1CALL=N9PMO
              >
              > APPL1ALIAS=PMOBBS
              >
              > APPL1QUAL=255
              >
              > APPL2CALL=N9PMO- 3
              >
              > APPL2ALIAS=DXAR
              >
              > APPL2QUAL=145
              >
              > APPL3CALL=N9PMO- 4
              >
              > APPL3ALIAS=DXCC
              >
              > APPL3QUAL=145
              >
              > APPL4CALL=N9PMO- 10
              >
              > APPL4ALIAS=RMS
              >
              > APPL4QUAL=145
              >

              > The two Cluster's are Remote connections to N5IN, and BBS, is handled by
              > a DLL to BPQ, these are not true Applications,
              >
              > The only real Application is RMS that requires AGWPE, or the
              > AGWtoBPQ.EXE, my APPL Mask is 0x8 RMS being the
              >
              > 4^th position.
              >

              > As far as AGWPE unless you need it for a sound card TNC it is just one
              > more program running you don't need how ever
              >
              > I do keep AGWPE on my computer only used to take one or more of my TNC'S
              > out of Kiss if needed, but not used with BPQ.
              >

              > So you will need to change your RF Port section from the BPQtoAGW.DLL to
              > TYPE=ASYNC and PROTOCOL=KISS
              >
              > Place your MFJ TNC in Kiss Before running the AGWtoBPQ.exe.
              >

              > Again Start the AGWtoBPQ.EXE First:
              >

              > I hope I haven't confused you, and that this helps your setup, and
              > mostly I hope I am not wrong on this setup,
              >

              > Feel free to contact me at any Time.
              >

              > 73-Mike N9PMO
              >

              > Web Site: http://n9pmo.
              dyndns.org