Re: [BPQ32] Starting WinFbb

  • Mark Harloff
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
      John,

      Check your system tray for the FBB icon after
      that happens.

      There is a check box in the config menu that
      will minimize the app to the system tray.

      This may (or may not) be the problem... just a
      thought.

      - Mark K2CAN

      ki6aeu wrote:

      > Hi first time poster here.
      >
      > I just installed WinFbb as per the setup file here.
      > But when it starts all i get is the box that says winfbb and the one
      > next to it that is the bbs starting ( Displays status and messages
      > etc..) this last about 1-2 sec them just goes away.
      >
      > Im seting it up on a laptop with windows xp pro. service pack 2
      > intel processor 1.60 Ghz 488Mb ram
      >
      > John
      > KI6AEU
    • ki6aeu
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
        nope.
        il
        also looked at the task manager and dont see it their aether

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

          John KI6AEU

          See Mark K2CAN response first, if this isn’t the case, let us know, I assume you are referring to WinFbb 7.01-35

          Or know as 7.01Alpha, the 35th updated made it a BETA Version, but since there is also a WFBB 7.00 series we want

          To make sure what program you are working with, just the mention of the instructions, that I wrote makes me

          Believe it is 7.01-35? Sorry about the poorly written instructions.

          There are a few other things that can cause this problem, the Processor and Memory and XP Pro

          Is fine setup, as ether WinFbb 7.01-35 or WFBB 7.00e 32 bit uses very little computer Resources.

          Just for the record 7.01-35 does have its share of bugs, the most important flaw is corrupted WP’S

          That migrate threw out the packet network, Mike VE3UIL and myself ran 7.01 about a year, I tried to

          Work around the bugs, and finally replaced 7.01 with WFBB 7.00E 32 Bit version, initially there were

          Several problems with 7.00e as well, I have corrected 99% of the problems,

          The House Keeping wasn’t working correctly,

          The bulletin life time did not work

          Monitor window would not monitor incoming transmissions, John G8BPQ worked very hard and

          Several releases of the bpqded32.dll and tfwin.dll and tfwin32.dll solved this problem.

          For the most part 7.00e is the best way to go, and is far more stable then 7.01-35, how ever I would

          Like to point out one problem with WFBB 7.00E (32bit only) and W2k or XP, when Updates or any

          Downloads are preformed, more then likely 7.00e 32 bit will fail, several of us have experienced this problem

          At this point you have to run the 32 bit version under W98 compatibility, how ever you wont like the

          Out come running this way, my solution was to install 7.00e and a separate Drive, with no operating

          System, then all works fine.

          My only point of recommending the use of 7.00e is to avoid changing from 7.01-35 to 7.00e at a later

          date.

          There is also a 7.00e 16bit, 7.00G 16 bit and 7.00I 16 bit, the problem with all the 16 bit programs

          Is 100% of your processor will be used at all times.

          A complete install package of 7.00E new RUNFBB.BAT .DLL’S etc is available from my Web Site

          http://n9pmo.dyndns.org

          Let me know if I can be of any help, Mark K2CAN is a very good source and a lot of

          Experience as well.

          73

          Mike Melnik

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
            sill did not work.

            I also deleted every ting tried a re install from your web sight.
            Just for kick i tried to run it before doing the upgrade to the latest
            version/bata it tried to run it and got error in line 5 for init.svr.
            I cant seam to find that file wo see what the error is.

            so now im thinking it s init error and the bbs is not initializing.

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

              Ok do this, uninstall WinFbb 7.01 (Control Panel Add or Remove Programs)

              Next open the Programs Folder, delete WinFbb32 Folder,

              Next go to Start/Run type REGEDIT (enter)

              Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

              Expand Software, near the bottom right click on WINFBB, but don’t expand the WINFBB

              and Delete the registry entry.

              Reboot your Computer.

              Delete the previous 7.01-35 complete install from your computer, re download the WinFbb32 7.01 from

              My Web Site, I just changed all of the zip files for easier installation.

              http://n9pmo. dyndns.org

              Important: Right Click on the downloaded ZIP File,

              Go to Properties, If there is a UNBLOCK Button Visible Click on to unblock, this happens with

              W2K and XP when files or programs are downloaded from another Computer, this is part of

              MS Service Pack 2 security, Note, depending on the security setting of W2K or XP you may or may not

              See or have this happen, if it is blocked, files can be missing or corrupted.

              Extract the Zip Folder to a temporary folder,

              Run the Winfbb701-20.exe

              Important: copy or move the contents of the win7.01-35 to Root Program Files\WinFbb\ Replace ALL

              Move the ded.dll and generic.dll to the Driver Folder.

              Next Copy or Move the contents of the winfbbcfg Folder (winfbbcfg.exe configuration tool for WinFbb)

              The ICON will be a Green Globe.

              Copy or Move the tln.dll V 1.8 and bpq.dll v 1.0.0.1 to the WinFbb Driver Folder Replace all

              Copy or move the English.txt from the English folder to the CONFIG/LANG folder.

              Copy the Beacon.sys to the WinFbb/CONFIG Folder Note: %15 is the beacon interval 15= every 15 minutes.

              Don’t bother with the Filters file, I need to replace them, but they really are not needed in WinFbb 7.01.

              Restart you’re Computer, the WinFbb configuration program should start automatically.

              If your are running BPQ32, that must be the first selection in the Configuration tool Ports section

              Unlike Previous versions of FBB the Ports.sys in the CONFIG folder does not get edited, it is only

              A dummy file, it can be deleted.

              The Telnet Ports select TLN not TCP.

              Finally in 7.01 there really isn’t an INIT.SRV file, most of the configurations are stored in the WinFbb Registry.

              Please let me know if you have any problems.

              Mike Melnik

              href="http://n9pmo.dyndns.org/">http://n9pmo. dyndns.org/>

              > Let me know if I can be of any help, Mark K2CAN is a very good
              source and a
              > lot of
              >
              > Experience as well.
              >

              > 73
              >

              > Mike Melnik

            • ki6aeu
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                ok not it does not disaper but says

                while trying to initialize and load config i get
                init.srv -error in line 5
                then shuts down.

                > Ok do this, uninstall WinFbb 7.01 (Control Panel Add or Remove
                Programs)

                > Next open the Programs Folder, delete WinFbb32 Folder,
                >
                > Next go to Start/Run type REGEDIT (enter)
                >
                > Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
                >
                > Expand Software, near the bottom right click on WINFBB, but don't expand
                > the WINFBB
                >
                > and Delete the registry entry.
                >

                > Reboot your Computer.
                >

                > Delete the previous 7.01-35 complete install from your computer, re
                > download the WinFbb32 7.01 from
                >
                > My Web Site, I just changed all of the zip files for easier
                installation.

                > http://n9pmo. <http://n9pmo.dyndns.org> dyndns.org
                >

                > Important: Right Click on the downloaded ZIP File,
                >

                > Go to Properties, If there is a UNBLOCK Button Visible Click on to
                unblock,
                > this happens with
                >
                > W2K and XP when files or programs are downloaded from another Computer,
                > this is part of
                >
                > MS Service Pack 2 security, Note, depending on the security setting
                of W2K
                > or XP you may or may not
                >
                > See or have this happen, if it is blocked, files can be missing or
                > corrupted.
                >

                > Extract the Zip Folder to a temporary folder,
                >
                > Run the Winfbb701-20.exe
                >
                > Important: copy or move the contents of the win7.01-35 to Root Program
                > Files\WinFbb\ Replace ALL
                >
                > Move the ded.dll and generic.dll to the Driver Folder.
                >

                > Next Copy or Move the contents of the winfbbcfg Folder (winfbbcfg.exe
                > configuration tool for WinFbb)
                >
                > The ICON will be a Green Globe.
                >

                > Copy or Move the tln.dll V 1.8 and bpq.dll v 1.0.0.1 to the WinFbb
                Driver
                > Folder Replace all
                >

                > Copy or move the English.txt from the English folder to the CONFIG/LANG
                > folder.
                >

                > Copy the Beacon.sys to the WinFbb/CONFIG Folder Note: %15 is the beacon
                > interval 15= every 15 minutes.
                >

                > Don't bother with the Filters file, I need to replace them, but they
                really
                > are not needed in WinFbb 7.01.
                >

                > Restart you're Computer, the WinFbb configuration program should start
                > automatically.
                >

                > If your are running BPQ32, that must be the first selection in the
                > Configuration tool Ports section
                >
                > Unlike Previous versions of FBB the Ports.sys in the CONFIG folder
                does not
                > get edited, it is only
                >
                > A dummy file, it can be deleted.
                >

                > The Telnet Ports select TLN not TCP.
                >

                > Finally in 7.01 there really isn't an INIT.SRV file, most of the
                > configurations are stored in the WinFbb Registry.
                >

                > Please let me know if you have any problems.
                >

                > Mike Melnik

                Behalf
                > Of
                > > ki6aeu
                > > Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:04 AM
                > > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
                > > Subject: [BPQ32] Starting WinFbb
                > >

                > > Hi first time poster here.
                > >
                > > I just installed WinFbb as per the setup file here.
                > > But when it starts all i get is the box that says winfbb and the one
                > > next to it that is the bbs starting ( Displays status and messages
                > > etc..) this last about 1-2 sec them just goes away.
                > >
                > > Im seting it up on a laptop with windows xp pro. service pack 2
                > > intel processor 1.60 Ghz 488Mb ram
                > >
                > > John
                > > KI6AEU

              • Phillip
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                  Hi,
                             INI.SRV line 5 is your Dir of message files
                  C:\FBB\MAIL       or similar

                  Check with your editor the path and make sure it is correct

                  73
                  Phillip
                  ZL2TZE

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                    Just so I am clear on this, you are setting up 7.01-35 and not 7.00 series?

                    If it is 7.01 the error is in the WinFbb Registry, give me about a half hour

                    I will set up 7.01 on my test computer, it has been some time since I worked

                    With 7.01, I know at one point I did have a corrupt registry entry.

                    But I do want to make sure we are talking about 7.01-35 and not WFBB 7.00E, G or I

                    Please let me know.

                    Mike Melnik

                    href="http://n9pmo.dyndns.org">http://n9pmo. dyndns.org> dyndns.org

                    href="http://n9pmo.dyndns.org">http://n9pmo. dyndns.org> dyndns.org <http://n9pmo.
                    > <http://n9pmo. dyndns.org/>
                    dyndns.org/>

                    > > Let me know if I can be of any help, Mark K2CAN is a very good
                    > source and a
                    > > lot of
                    > >
                    > > Experience as well.
                    > >

                    > > 73
                    > >

                    > > Mike Melnik

                  • fgephar1
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                    • ki6aeu
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                        their all good. even check it with regedit. how ever this is what the
                        config has
                        c:\Program Files\WinFbb\Data\Mail
                        no if you look at my exported config file i get this

                        is the double slashes normal?

                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ WinFbb\Folders]
                        "FbbRoot"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb"
                        "Data"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data"
                        "Config"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Config"
                        "Yapp"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\UsersPub\\Yapp"
                        "Docs"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Docs"
                        "ImportFile"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Mail.in"
                        "Filters"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Filters"
                        "Servers"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Servers"
                        "Pg"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Pg"
                        "Drivers"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Drivers"
                        "Lang"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Config\\Lang"
                        "Log"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Log"
                        "Sat"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Sat"
                        "Wp"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Wp"
                        "OldMail"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\OldMail"
                        "Fwd"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Config\\Fwd"
                        "Sounds"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Sounds"
                        "Mail"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Mail"
                        "CompresMail"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\ CompresMail"
                        "UsersPub"="*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*"

                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > INI.SRV line 5 is your Dir of message files
                        > C:\FBB\MAIL or similar
                        >
                        > Check with your editor the path and make sure it is correct
                        >
                        > 73
                        > Phillip
                        > ZL2TZE

                      • ki6aeu
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                          yes 701-35

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                            I am installing 7.01 as we speak, be back shortly

                            Mike Melnik

                            href="http://n9pmo.">http://n9pmo. <http://n9pmo. dyndns.org> dyndns.org>
                            href="http://n9pmo.dyndns.org/">http://n9pmo. dyndns.org/> dyndns.org/> dyndns.org/>

                            > > > Let me know if I can be of any help, Mark K2CAN is a very good
                            > > source and a
                            > > > lot of
                            > > >
                            > > > Experience as well.
                            > > >

                            > > > 73
                            > > >

                            > > > Mike Melnik

                          • Phillip
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                              Hi,
                                       Can you post your INIT.SRV file  this is an editable file and if that is wrong you will get the error you say.

                              What is on Line 5 in the INIT.SRV ?

                              73 Phillip
                              ZL2TZE

                              their all good. even check it with regedit. how ever this is what the
                              config has
                              c:\Program Files\WinFbb\ Data\Mail
                              no if you look at my exported config file i get this

                              is the double slashes normal?

                              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ WinFbb\Folders]
                              "FbbRoot"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb"
                              "Data"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data"
                              "Config"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Config"
                              "Yapp"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \UsersPub\ \Yapp"
                              "Docs"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Docs"
                              "ImportFile" ="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Mail.in"
                              "Filters"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Filters"
                              "Servers"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Servers"
                              "Pg"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Pg"
                              "Drivers"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Drivers"
                              "Lang"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Config\\ Lang"
                              "Log"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Log"
                              "Sat"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Sat"
                              "Wp"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Wp"
                              "OldMail"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\OldMail"
                              "Fwd"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Config\\ Fwd"
                              "Sounds"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Sounds"
                              "Mail"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Mail"
                              "CompresMail" ="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\ CompresMail"
                              "UsersPub"=" *,*,*,*,* ,*,*,*"

                              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              > INI.SRV line 5 is your Dir of message files
                              > C:\FBB\MAIL or similar
                              >
                              > Check with your editor the path and make sure it is correct
                              >
                              > 73
                              > Phillip
                              > ZL2TZE

                            • ki6aeu
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                                I cant find it with a search of my whole computer. i think i uses your
                                reg now. so i posted a copy of my config back up.

                                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                > Can you post your INIT.SRV file this is an editable file
                                and if
                                > that is wrong you will get the error you say.
                                >
                                > What is on Line 5 in the INIT.SRV ?
                                >
                                > 73 Phillip
                                > ZL2TZE

                                8/10/2008

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                                  OK John,

                                  I have 7.01 all setup and running, no problems, did you setup the following:

                                  Forwarding Blocks in FWD Folder

                                  Forward.sys

                                  BBS.sys

                                  I will send you my exported Config Backup, you will need to edit the call sign name, etc,

                                  Save it in the WinFbb root directory, open the configuration tool, click on Import

                                  Then Config Backup, navigate to the back up file, you will receive a windows warning box are you

                                  Sure you want to add this information, YES, and then go to file, click on Reload Registry Config, then Save and Exit.

                                  This will add two Port, Port 1 BPQ port 2 TLN 6300

                                  I am sending the n9pmo.fbb Config backup to your E-Mail Address.

                                  Mike Melnik

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                                    Just sent the Backup and some instruction, to your E-Mail address

                                    Mike Melnik

                                    I cant find it with a search of my whole computer. i think i uses your
                                    reg now. so i posted a copy of my config back up.

                                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    > Can you post your INIT.SRV file this is an editable file
                                    and if
                                    > that is wrong you will get the error you say.
                                    >
                                    > What is on Line 5 in the INIT.SRV ?
                                    >
                                    > 73 Phillip
                                    > ZL2TZE

                                    8/10/2008

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                                      I just looked over all your registry entries,

                                      "CopySysOpMessages"="******"   Should ether have your call sign or completely blank

                                      Driver"="TCP" Should be Type TLN not TCP

                                      KI6BPT"="1 1 john" Mine is Blank

                                      Mike Melnik

                                      I cant find it with a search of my whole computer. i think i uses your
                                      reg now. so i posted a copy of my config back up.

                                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi,
                                      > Can you post your INIT.SRV file this is an editable file
                                      and if
                                      > that is wrong you will get the error you say.
                                      >
                                      > What is on Line 5 in the INIT.SRV ?
                                      >
                                      > 73 Phillip
                                      > ZL2TZE

                                      8/10/2008

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                                        HI Fred

                                        Sorry for the delay, it is best to download the WFBB 700 from my web site, 7.00E is more

                                        Stable then 7.01-35,, the download has all needed files, setting 7.00E up with BPQ32

                                        Can be a bit confusing, any problems, please let me know.

                                        Mike Melnik

                                        http://n9pmo.dyndns.org

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 11, 2008
                                          Thanks for the help.
                                          I now have it installed and running.

                                          Now i'm going to work on
                                          telnet, bpq32, and connecting it to my kamPlus. ( or should i wait
                                          till my signalink usb get here?)

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 11, 2008