Starting WinFbb

  • ki6aeu
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
      Hi first time poster here.

      I just installed WinFbb as per the setup file here.
      But when it starts all i get is the box that says winfbb and the one
      next to it that is the bbs starting ( Displays status and messages
      etc..) this last about 1-2 sec them just goes away.

      Im seting it up on a laptop with windows xp pro. service pack 2
      intel processor 1.60 Ghz 488Mb ram

      John
      KI6AEU
    • Mark Harloff
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
        John,

        Check your system tray for the FBB icon after
        that happens.

        There is a check box in the config menu that
        will minimize the app to the system tray.

        This may (or may not) be the problem... just a
        thought.

        - Mark K2CAN

        ki6aeu wrote:

        > Hi first time poster here.
        >
        > I just installed WinFbb as per the setup file here.
        > But when it starts all i get is the box that says winfbb and the one
        > next to it that is the bbs starting ( Displays status and messages
        > etc..) this last about 1-2 sec them just goes away.
        >
        > Im seting it up on a laptop with windows xp pro. service pack 2
        > intel processor 1.60 Ghz 488Mb ram
        >
        > John
        > KI6AEU
      • ki6aeu
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
          nope.
          il
          also looked at the task manager and dont see it their aether

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

            John KI6AEU

            See Mark K2CAN response first, if this isn’t the case, let us know, I assume you are referring to WinFbb 7.01-35

            Or know as 7.01Alpha, the 35th updated made it a BETA Version, but since there is also a WFBB 7.00 series we want

            To make sure what program you are working with, just the mention of the instructions, that I wrote makes me

            Believe it is 7.01-35? Sorry about the poorly written instructions.

            There are a few other things that can cause this problem, the Processor and Memory and XP Pro

            Is fine setup, as ether WinFbb 7.01-35 or WFBB 7.00e 32 bit uses very little computer Resources.

            Just for the record 7.01-35 does have its share of bugs, the most important flaw is corrupted WP’S

            That migrate threw out the packet network, Mike VE3UIL and myself ran 7.01 about a year, I tried to

            Work around the bugs, and finally replaced 7.01 with WFBB 7.00E 32 Bit version, initially there were

            Several problems with 7.00e as well, I have corrected 99% of the problems,

            The House Keeping wasn’t working correctly,

            The bulletin life time did not work

            Monitor window would not monitor incoming transmissions, John G8BPQ worked very hard and

            Several releases of the bpqded32.dll and tfwin.dll and tfwin32.dll solved this problem.

            For the most part 7.00e is the best way to go, and is far more stable then 7.01-35, how ever I would

            Like to point out one problem with WFBB 7.00E (32bit only) and W2k or XP, when Updates or any

            Downloads are preformed, more then likely 7.00e 32 bit will fail, several of us have experienced this problem

            At this point you have to run the 32 bit version under W98 compatibility, how ever you wont like the

            Out come running this way, my solution was to install 7.00e and a separate Drive, with no operating

            System, then all works fine.

            My only point of recommending the use of 7.00e is to avoid changing from 7.01-35 to 7.00e at a later

            date.

            There is also a 7.00e 16bit, 7.00G 16 bit and 7.00I 16 bit, the problem with all the 16 bit programs

            Is 100% of your processor will be used at all times.

            A complete install package of 7.00E new RUNFBB.BAT .DLL’S etc is available from my Web Site

            http://n9pmo.dyndns.org

            Let me know if I can be of any help, Mark K2CAN is a very good source and a lot of

            Experience as well.

            73

            Mike Melnik

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
              sill did not work.

              I also deleted every ting tried a re install from your web sight.
              Just for kick i tried to run it before doing the upgrade to the latest
              version/bata it tried to run it and got error in line 5 for init.svr.
              I cant seam to find that file wo see what the error is.

              so now im thinking it s init error and the bbs is not initializing.

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                Ok do this, uninstall WinFbb 7.01 (Control Panel Add or Remove Programs)

                Next open the Programs Folder, delete WinFbb32 Folder,

                Next go to Start/Run type REGEDIT (enter)

                Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

                Expand Software, near the bottom right click on WINFBB, but don’t expand the WINFBB

                and Delete the registry entry.

                Reboot your Computer.

                Delete the previous 7.01-35 complete install from your computer, re download the WinFbb32 7.01 from

                My Web Site, I just changed all of the zip files for easier installation.

                http://n9pmo. dyndns.org

                Important: Right Click on the downloaded ZIP File,

                Go to Properties, If there is a UNBLOCK Button Visible Click on to unblock, this happens with

                W2K and XP when files or programs are downloaded from another Computer, this is part of

                MS Service Pack 2 security, Note, depending on the security setting of W2K or XP you may or may not

                See or have this happen, if it is blocked, files can be missing or corrupted.

                Extract the Zip Folder to a temporary folder,

                Run the Winfbb701-20.exe

                Important: copy or move the contents of the win7.01-35 to Root Program Files\WinFbb\ Replace ALL

                Move the ded.dll and generic.dll to the Driver Folder.

                Next Copy or Move the contents of the winfbbcfg Folder (winfbbcfg.exe configuration tool for WinFbb)

                The ICON will be a Green Globe.

                Copy or Move the tln.dll V 1.8 and bpq.dll v 1.0.0.1 to the WinFbb Driver Folder Replace all

                Copy or move the English.txt from the English folder to the CONFIG/LANG folder.

                Copy the Beacon.sys to the WinFbb/CONFIG Folder Note: %15 is the beacon interval 15= every 15 minutes.

                Don’t bother with the Filters file, I need to replace them, but they really are not needed in WinFbb 7.01.

                Restart you’re Computer, the WinFbb configuration program should start automatically.

                If your are running BPQ32, that must be the first selection in the Configuration tool Ports section

                Unlike Previous versions of FBB the Ports.sys in the CONFIG folder does not get edited, it is only

                A dummy file, it can be deleted.

                The Telnet Ports select TLN not TCP.

                Finally in 7.01 there really isn’t an INIT.SRV file, most of the configurations are stored in the WinFbb Registry.

                Please let me know if you have any problems.

                Mike Melnik

                href="http://n9pmo.dyndns.org/">http://n9pmo. dyndns.org/>

                > Let me know if I can be of any help, Mark K2CAN is a very good
                source and a
                > lot of
                >
                > Experience as well.
                >

                > 73
                >

                > Mike Melnik

              • ki6aeu
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                  ok not it does not disaper but says

                  while trying to initialize and load config i get
                  init.srv -error in line 5
                  then shuts down.

                  > Ok do this, uninstall WinFbb 7.01 (Control Panel Add or Remove
                  Programs)

                  > Next open the Programs Folder, delete WinFbb32 Folder,
                  >
                  > Next go to Start/Run type REGEDIT (enter)
                  >
                  > Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
                  >
                  > Expand Software, near the bottom right click on WINFBB, but don't expand
                  > the WINFBB
                  >
                  > and Delete the registry entry.
                  >

                  > Reboot your Computer.
                  >

                  > Delete the previous 7.01-35 complete install from your computer, re
                  > download the WinFbb32 7.01 from
                  >
                  > My Web Site, I just changed all of the zip files for easier
                  installation.

                  > http://n9pmo. <http://n9pmo.dyndns.org> dyndns.org
                  >

                  > Important: Right Click on the downloaded ZIP File,
                  >

                  > Go to Properties, If there is a UNBLOCK Button Visible Click on to
                  unblock,
                  > this happens with
                  >
                  > W2K and XP when files or programs are downloaded from another Computer,
                  > this is part of
                  >
                  > MS Service Pack 2 security, Note, depending on the security setting
                  of W2K
                  > or XP you may or may not
                  >
                  > See or have this happen, if it is blocked, files can be missing or
                  > corrupted.
                  >

                  > Extract the Zip Folder to a temporary folder,
                  >
                  > Run the Winfbb701-20.exe
                  >
                  > Important: copy or move the contents of the win7.01-35 to Root Program
                  > Files\WinFbb\ Replace ALL
                  >
                  > Move the ded.dll and generic.dll to the Driver Folder.
                  >

                  > Next Copy or Move the contents of the winfbbcfg Folder (winfbbcfg.exe
                  > configuration tool for WinFbb)
                  >
                  > The ICON will be a Green Globe.
                  >

                  > Copy or Move the tln.dll V 1.8 and bpq.dll v 1.0.0.1 to the WinFbb
                  Driver
                  > Folder Replace all
                  >

                  > Copy or move the English.txt from the English folder to the CONFIG/LANG
                  > folder.
                  >

                  > Copy the Beacon.sys to the WinFbb/CONFIG Folder Note: %15 is the beacon
                  > interval 15= every 15 minutes.
                  >

                  > Don't bother with the Filters file, I need to replace them, but they
                  really
                  > are not needed in WinFbb 7.01.
                  >

                  > Restart you're Computer, the WinFbb configuration program should start
                  > automatically.
                  >

                  > If your are running BPQ32, that must be the first selection in the
                  > Configuration tool Ports section
                  >
                  > Unlike Previous versions of FBB the Ports.sys in the CONFIG folder
                  does not
                  > get edited, it is only
                  >
                  > A dummy file, it can be deleted.
                  >

                  > The Telnet Ports select TLN not TCP.
                  >

                  > Finally in 7.01 there really isn't an INIT.SRV file, most of the
                  > configurations are stored in the WinFbb Registry.
                  >

                  > Please let me know if you have any problems.
                  >

                  > Mike Melnik

                  Behalf
                  > Of
                  > > ki6aeu
                  > > Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:04 AM
                  > > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
                  > > Subject: [BPQ32] Starting WinFbb
                  > >

                  > > Hi first time poster here.
                  > >
                  > > I just installed WinFbb as per the setup file here.
                  > > But when it starts all i get is the box that says winfbb and the one
                  > > next to it that is the bbs starting ( Displays status and messages
                  > > etc..) this last about 1-2 sec them just goes away.
                  > >
                  > > Im seting it up on a laptop with windows xp pro. service pack 2
                  > > intel processor 1.60 Ghz 488Mb ram
                  > >
                  > > John
                  > > KI6AEU

                • Phillip
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                    Hi,
                               INI.SRV line 5 is your Dir of message files
                    C:\FBB\MAIL       or similar

                    Check with your editor the path and make sure it is correct

                    73
                    Phillip
                    ZL2TZE

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                      Just so I am clear on this, you are setting up 7.01-35 and not 7.00 series?

                      If it is 7.01 the error is in the WinFbb Registry, give me about a half hour

                      I will set up 7.01 on my test computer, it has been some time since I worked

                      With 7.01, I know at one point I did have a corrupt registry entry.

                      But I do want to make sure we are talking about 7.01-35 and not WFBB 7.00E, G or I

                      Please let me know.

                      Mike Melnik

                      href="http://n9pmo.dyndns.org">http://n9pmo. dyndns.org> dyndns.org

                      href="http://n9pmo.dyndns.org">http://n9pmo. dyndns.org> dyndns.org <http://n9pmo.
                      > <http://n9pmo. dyndns.org/>
                      dyndns.org/>

                      > > Let me know if I can be of any help, Mark K2CAN is a very good
                      > source and a
                      > > lot of
                      > >
                      > > Experience as well.
                      > >

                      > > 73
                      > >

                      > > Mike Melnik

                    • fgephar1
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                      • ki6aeu
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                          their all good. even check it with regedit. how ever this is what the
                          config has
                          c:\Program Files\WinFbb\Data\Mail
                          no if you look at my exported config file i get this

                          is the double slashes normal?

                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ WinFbb\Folders]
                          "FbbRoot"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb"
                          "Data"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data"
                          "Config"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Config"
                          "Yapp"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\UsersPub\\Yapp"
                          "Docs"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Docs"
                          "ImportFile"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Mail.in"
                          "Filters"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Filters"
                          "Servers"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Servers"
                          "Pg"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Pg"
                          "Drivers"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Drivers"
                          "Lang"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Config\\Lang"
                          "Log"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Log"
                          "Sat"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Sat"
                          "Wp"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Wp"
                          "OldMail"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\OldMail"
                          "Fwd"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Config\\Fwd"
                          "Sounds"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Sounds"
                          "Mail"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\Mail"
                          "CompresMail"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\\Data\\ CompresMail"
                          "UsersPub"="*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*"

                          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > INI.SRV line 5 is your Dir of message files
                          > C:\FBB\MAIL or similar
                          >
                          > Check with your editor the path and make sure it is correct
                          >
                          > 73
                          > Phillip
                          > ZL2TZE

                        • ki6aeu
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                            yes 701-35

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                              I am installing 7.01 as we speak, be back shortly

                              Mike Melnik

                              href="http://n9pmo.">http://n9pmo. <http://n9pmo. dyndns.org> dyndns.org>
                              href="http://n9pmo.dyndns.org/">http://n9pmo. dyndns.org/> dyndns.org/> dyndns.org/>

                              > > > Let me know if I can be of any help, Mark K2CAN is a very good
                              > > source and a
                              > > > lot of
                              > > >
                              > > > Experience as well.
                              > > >

                              > > > 73
                              > > >

                              > > > Mike Melnik

                            • Phillip
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                                Hi,
                                         Can you post your INIT.SRV file  this is an editable file and if that is wrong you will get the error you say.

                                What is on Line 5 in the INIT.SRV ?

                                73 Phillip
                                ZL2TZE

                                their all good. even check it with regedit. how ever this is what the
                                config has
                                c:\Program Files\WinFbb\ Data\Mail
                                no if you look at my exported config file i get this

                                is the double slashes normal?

                                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ WinFbb\Folders]
                                "FbbRoot"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb"
                                "Data"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data"
                                "Config"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Config"
                                "Yapp"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \UsersPub\ \Yapp"
                                "Docs"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Docs"
                                "ImportFile" ="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Mail.in"
                                "Filters"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Filters"
                                "Servers"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Servers"
                                "Pg"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Pg"
                                "Drivers"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Drivers"
                                "Lang"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Config\\ Lang"
                                "Log"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Log"
                                "Sat"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Sat"
                                "Wp"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Wp"
                                "OldMail"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\OldMail"
                                "Fwd"="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Config\\ Fwd"
                                "Sounds"="C: \\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Sounds"
                                "Mail"="C:\\ Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\Mail"
                                "CompresMail" ="C:\\Program Files\\WinFbb\ \Data\\ CompresMail"
                                "UsersPub"=" *,*,*,*,* ,*,*,*"

                                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                > INI.SRV line 5 is your Dir of message files
                                > C:\FBB\MAIL or similar
                                >
                                > Check with your editor the path and make sure it is correct
                                >
                                > 73
                                > Phillip
                                > ZL2TZE

                              • ki6aeu
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                                  I cant find it with a search of my whole computer. i think i uses your
                                  reg now. so i posted a copy of my config back up.

                                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  > Can you post your INIT.SRV file this is an editable file
                                  and if
                                  > that is wrong you will get the error you say.
                                  >
                                  > What is on Line 5 in the INIT.SRV ?
                                  >
                                  > 73 Phillip
                                  > ZL2TZE

                                  8/10/2008

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                                    OK John,

                                    I have 7.01 all setup and running, no problems, did you setup the following:

                                    Forwarding Blocks in FWD Folder

                                    Forward.sys

                                    BBS.sys

                                    I will send you my exported Config Backup, you will need to edit the call sign name, etc,

                                    Save it in the WinFbb root directory, open the configuration tool, click on Import

                                    Then Config Backup, navigate to the back up file, you will receive a windows warning box are you

                                    Sure you want to add this information, YES, and then go to file, click on Reload Registry Config, then Save and Exit.

                                    This will add two Port, Port 1 BPQ port 2 TLN 6300

                                    I am sending the n9pmo.fbb Config backup to your E-Mail Address.

                                    Mike Melnik

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                                      Just sent the Backup and some instruction, to your E-Mail address

                                      Mike Melnik

                                      I cant find it with a search of my whole computer. i think i uses your
                                      reg now. so i posted a copy of my config back up.

                                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi,
                                      > Can you post your INIT.SRV file this is an editable file
                                      and if
                                      > that is wrong you will get the error you say.
                                      >
                                      > What is on Line 5 in the INIT.SRV ?
                                      >
                                      > 73 Phillip
                                      > ZL2TZE

                                      8/10/2008

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                                        I just looked over all your registry entries,

                                        "CopySysOpMessages"="******"   Should ether have your call sign or completely blank

                                        Driver"="TCP" Should be Type TLN not TCP

                                        KI6BPT"="1 1 john" Mine is Blank

                                        Mike Melnik

                                        I cant find it with a search of my whole computer. i think i uses your
                                        reg now. so i posted a copy of my config back up.

                                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Phillip" <zl2tze@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi,
                                        > Can you post your INIT.SRV file this is an editable file
                                        and if
                                        > that is wrong you will get the error you say.
                                        >
                                        > What is on Line 5 in the INIT.SRV ?
                                        >
                                        > 73 Phillip
                                        > ZL2TZE

                                        8/10/2008

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008

                                          HI Fred

                                          Sorry for the delay, it is best to download the WFBB 700 from my web site, 7.00E is more

                                          Stable then 7.01-35,, the download has all needed files, setting 7.00E up with BPQ32

                                          Can be a bit confusing, any problems, please let me know.

                                          Mike Melnik

                                          http://n9pmo.dyndns.org

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 11, 2008
                                            Thanks for the help.
                                            I now have it installed and running.

                                            Now i'm going to work on
                                            telnet, bpq32, and connecting it to my kamPlus. ( or should i wait
                                            till my signalink usb get here?)

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 11, 2008