Re: [BPQ32] File size question

  • Clayton Brantley
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 17, 2013
      I would drop anyone trying to send 10k files.  Many years ago we had a set of utilities to
      break large files in to smaller pieces and the re-combine them at the other end.  Might
      look for similar utilities  on the web.  I know the 7+ will work but the ones we wrote
      were much easier to use.

      Clayton N4EV

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 17, 2013

         Thanks, but that is not the same aspect we are asking about.

        This is a telnet connection over the LAN.

        RF wise not an issue, axip in BBS to BBS B2f mode not an issue, full 120K Winlink file size limit works.

        It is just an issue via "TelNet" to BPQ with RMS Express. To get a file approx bigger than 50 K, you have to connect twice, so it completes the rest in the second send.

        BPQ and/or RMS Express time out, like perhaps over the LAN we are sending the data faster than it can process. WE are perhaps asking it to do more than it was written for over TelNet.

        But again thanks for the info.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013
          There isn't a hard limit.

          How long are the transfers taking? I made a change to the default idle timeout in the last release of BPQMial, which didn't work as I intended, and could cause a disconnect even when data was still flowing. If you are getting a disconnect after two minutes it would be worth trying this test verson:

          If the problem isn't at around  2 minites, I'd be inteerested in seeing the logs from each end.

          73, John

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013

            We will try the test version.

            System is on a LAN with many users on a Ubiquiti 2.4 GHZ hub.

            RMS Express is used in Telnet with BPQ's IP address as the "RMS RELAY".

            We can move about 40-50 k sizes ok, any thing greater than that, after about 30 secs it times out

            and you are disconnected.

            We will let you know and thanks.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013

              A bit better, I was able to move a 64 K file, but anything greater, it still  times out and you get disconnected, again after about 20-30 secs.

              Purpose of BPQ being used in this fashion, so all the response members can learn, train, with one software Ie; RMS Express. (And learn about WinLink's 120K compre4sssed size limit, and work within that).

              There are 5 members that have 2.4 Ghz dishes back to the main HUB, where BPQ resides on a server.

              Distances from 1/2 mile to one link 12 Miles. All working fine with point to point transfers, Ie; computer to computer on the LAN.

              This network also has satellite Internet connectivity and that functions fine. The system is installed to support a large community for emergencies and special events. Internet connectivity to BPQ is not configured at this time.

              Just need to try to get BPQ to work on the LAN with larger files.

               ON packet RF I assume because of the delays in packets of info being sent and Acked, the delay is enough that BPQ handles the larger files ok?

              Thanks for the effort and we know we are stretching the limits of what BPQ is for, but this is a great application worth its success. (My opinion).

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013
                Ok, Mike.

                If you send me the RMS Express and BPQMail logs I may be able to see what is happening

                73, John

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013

                  Ok will do soon.

                  What I did see id if I try a resend sometimes it will finish the file Ie;  FS 4750

                  OR you get an error message that "too many restarts"

                  Thanks

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013
                    • 1 Attachment
                    • 5 KB

                    <hr tabindex="-1">
                    [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] <b>On Behalf Of
                    still  times out and you get disconnected, again after about 20-30
                    secs.</p>
                    of BPQ being used in this fashion, so all the response members can learn, train,
                    with one software Ie; RMS Express. (And learn about WinLink's 120K compre4sssed
                    size limit, and work within that).</p>
                    are 5 members that have 2.4 Ghz dishes back to the main HUB, where BPQ resides
                    on a server.</p>
                    mile to one link 12 Miles. All working fine with point to point transfers, Ie;
                    computer to computer on the LAN.</p>
                    network also has satellite Internet connectivity and that functions fine. The
                    system is installed to support a large community for emergencies and special
                    events. Internet connectivity to BPQ is not configured at this time.</p>
                    need to try to get BPQ to work on the LAN with larger files.</p>
                    packet RF I assume because of the delays in packets of info being sent and
                    Acked, the delay is enough that BPQ handles the larger files ok?<br></p>
                    fo r the effort and we know we are stretching the limits of what BPQ is for, but
                    this is a great application worth its success. (My opinion).<br></p>
                    <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:<br><br>
                    is on a LAN with many users on a Ubiquiti 2.4 GHZ hub.</p>
                    Express is used in Telnet with BPQ's IP address as the "RMS RELAY".</p>
                    can move about 40-50 k sizes ok, any thing greater than that, after about 30
                    secs it times out</p>
                    you are disconnected. <br></p>
                    will let you know and thanks.</p>
                    <bpq32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:<br><br>
                    change to the default idle timeout in the last release of BPQMial, which
                    didn't work as I intended, and could cause a disconnect even when data was
                    still flowing. If you are getting a disconnect after two minutes it would
                    a<span class="ygrps-yiv-1820124554ygrps-yiv-400443328ygrps-yiv-1825377035ygrps-yiv-618691327ygrps-yiv-165354499816505607-18092013">round
                    inteerested in seeing the logs from each
                    <hr tabindex="-1">
                    [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] <b>On Behalf Of
                    over a telnet connection.<br><br>RMS relay configured to go to BPQ and BPQ set
                    up with BBS application=BBS<br><br>No
                  • n6kzb